Author Topic: Vague Gallo rumor  (Read 7001 times)

Re: Vague Gallo rumor
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 03:02:41 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
IMO it's selfcrippling not to continue to improve the team with a reasonable deal for Gallo because we might not have enough space next year for two max contracts. If such an opportunity did miraculously present itself, we could always trade off players and not take money back by attaching draft picks while moving them to teams that are under the cap, which should be most teams after the season. This article has best case/worst case projections for every teams cap space. http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nbas-bestworst-case-2016-17-cap-projections/   

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It would depend on the price. If its an IT like trade then I think you do it regardless of the implications. You help yourself in the short term, if Durant and horfors show interest in the summer you can work out some deals to clear cap space at that time.

However I'm not going to give up anything significant in a deal for Gallo at the trade deadline. I'd quite like to see how far this roster can go and then evaluate in the summer. The growth in guys like Crowder and smart should not be underestimated. I'm assuming we end up keeping some of them when we form our next championship team so they need to learn how to win and how to respond to loss

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 04:55:25 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Gallo can officially be traded on Monday, but I've heard a counter argument that ainge is unlikely to move for a Gallo-level talent, because it makes it impossible for us to sign two max guys this summer.  The idea being that ainge wants to try to at least pitch Durant and horford on joining forces on a quality team that already has one allstar (Thomas), prob just made the playoffs and very possibly has a decent rookie acquired from the lotto pick from Brooklyn (which maybe can be used to trade for one more major piece).

I do think Gallo is a bit overrated around here.  His shooting percentages aren't great. He's super injury prone. How is he defensively ?

I can see any one of these guys being made available at the deadline:  Hayward, Middleton, Tobias Harris and Gallo... They all make some sense here.  Gallo is probably the one I'm least interested in. And I can see the logic in just waiting until this summer to see what's up.

Funny that you mention injury concerns with Gallo in the same post as you suggest we would be better off trying for durant and horford.
Why is that funny?  Gallinari played 28 games in 2009.  He missed 20 games in 2011.  He missed 39 games in 2012.  He missed all of the 2014 season.  He missed 23 games last season.   He's having a decent season (though he's shooting 41%)... career averages of 14.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.5 blocks and 0.8 steals with 41%/37%/86% shooting.   He's making 14 mil per year, is 27 years old, and is likely never going to be an all-star despite his career season.   

I'm not going to bother giving you Kevin Durant's credentials.   Those two guys aren't remotely close.   Durant had a rough season last year and I guess there's a little worry about his bone graft, but the dude looks pretty stellar this season:  27.2 points, 8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.2 blocks, 1 steal with 51%/39%/89% shooting   

Gallo could help us if he stays healthy.  I don't disagree with that.  But he's also super overrated here for some reason.   I was actually one of the first people to suggest going after him this Summer.  But at some point between my suggestion and today, there's some fans who have convinced themselves he's the franchise player we need.    I'm ok with getting him as long as it doesn't handicap our ability to try landing a real franchise player when one becomes available on the trade market (or via free agency).  I'm a firm believer that Boston has a better shot in free agency than a lot of people here think.

Horford has had more injuries.  Yeah.  That's true.   But I'd rather sign Horford in free agency than give up a bunch of assets to get Gallo right now. 

You can make the case that getting Gallo increases our ability to land free agents, though... makes us a more legit team and pushes us closer to being a destination.  I'd buy that.  But I'm just relaying what I've heard... which is that Ainge wants to maintain flexibility this summer and would rather head into the offseason with cap space for two max contracts... just in case.
Brcause both horford and durant have missed significant time due to injuries.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Gallo can officially be traded on Monday, but I've heard a counter argument that ainge is unlikely to move for a Gallo-level talent, because it makes it impossible for us to sign two max guys this summer.  The idea being that ainge wants to try to at least pitch Durant and horford on joining forces on a quality team that already has one allstar (Thomas), prob just made the playoffs and very possibly has a decent rookie acquired from the lotto pick from Brooklyn (which maybe can be used to trade for one more major piece).

I do think Gallo is a bit overrated around here.  His shooting percentages aren't great. He's super injury prone. How is he defensively ?

I can see any one of these guys being made available at the deadline:  Hayward, Middleton, Tobias Harris and Gallo... They all make some sense here.  Gallo is probably the one I'm least interested in. And I can see the logic in just waiting until this summer to see what's up.

Funny that you mention injury concerns with Gallo in the same post as you suggest we would be better off trying for durant and horford.
Why is that funny?  Gallinari played 28 games in 2009.  He missed 20 games in 2011.  He missed 39 games in 2012.  He missed all of the 2014 season.  He missed 23 games last season.   He's having a decent season (though he's shooting 41%)... career averages of 14.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.5 blocks and 0.8 steals with 41%/37%/86% shooting.   He's making 14 mil per year, is 27 years old, and is likely never going to be an all-star despite his career season.   

I'm not going to bother giving you Kevin Durant's credentials.   Those two guys aren't remotely close.   Durant had a rough season last year and I guess there's a little worry about his bone graft, but the dude looks pretty stellar this season:  27.2 points, 8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.2 blocks, 1 steal with 51%/39%/89% shooting   

Gallo could help us if he stays healthy.  I don't disagree with that.  But he's also super overrated here for some reason.   I was actually one of the first people to suggest going after him this Summer.  But at some point between my suggestion and today, there's some fans who have convinced themselves he's the franchise player we need.    I'm ok with getting him as long as it doesn't handicap our ability to try landing a real franchise player when one becomes available on the trade market (or via free agency).  I'm a firm believer that Boston has a better shot in free agency than a lot of people here think.

Horford has had more injuries.  Yeah.  That's true.   But I'd rather sign Horford in free agency than give up a bunch of assets to get Gallo right now. 

You can make the case that getting Gallo increases our ability to land free agents, though... makes us a more legit team and pushes us closer to being a destination.  I'd buy that.  But I'm just relaying what I've heard... which is that Ainge wants to maintain flexibility this summer and would rather head into the offseason with cap space for two max contracts... just in case.
Brcause both horford and durant have missed significant time due to injuries.

Their injury histories aren't even remotely comparable to Gallo's, at least in the case of Durant.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 05:21:59 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'd love to have another scorer like Gallo on the team for the right price. He'd help the Celtics with their best attribute: versatility. TP if you can provide a link.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors

Well, you held up your end of the bargain. I have to hold mine. However, that rumor from ESPN came from Sportando, which I think is an Italian sports website. Not sure how much credibility they have.

As noted in the original post.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 05:56:20 PM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I would not mind giving up a 2016 Nets pick for the Gallinari - provided we get Jokic also.
Basically, the deal would be Gallinari + Jokic for Lee + 2016 Nets pick.

It is a good deal for us; we get a scorer + a center who can at least somewhat shoot 3s. Also, Jokic would cost only about $1.5M per year for 4 seasons thus allowing us to chase free agents. Jokic's contract is part of the reason I would not mind giving up BKN pick.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'd love to have another scorer like Gallo on the team for the right price. He'd help the Celtics with their best attribute: versatility. TP if you can provide a link.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors

Well, you held up your end of the bargain. I have to hold mine. However, that rumor from ESPN came from Sportando, which I think is an Italian sports website. Not sure how much credibility they have.

As noted in the original post.

Sportando was where I first read that Isaiah was an all star, before guys like woj broke the news.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »

Offline Ainge4Prez

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
I have 0 idea how anyone on here wants Gallinari. I wouldn't take him for Lee and JJ! Even with the cap rise he is no where near worth 20 mil. We will be stuck in mediocrity if we use almost 20 mil of our cap on Gallinari. Not a good defender and isn't that efficient offensively!

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The problem I have with acquiring Gallo is that I think he really belongs at the 4 and couldn't play alongside any of the big men we currently have on the team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The problem I have with acquiring Gallo is that I think he really belongs at the 4 and couldn't play alongside any of the big men we currently have on the team.
I think we could function with Amir or Sully next to Gallo. We might have trouble with post scoring 5's if we go with Amir but those guys probably would be exposed against our spread offense with Gallo at the 4.

If he makes us better long term then we can work on finding a 5 to play next to him later.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you put Sully next to Gallo, we'd have the same problem we have when Sully and KO share the floor -- just not enough footspeed and challenging length inside the arc.

If you put Amir next to Gallo, it's the same issue we currently have playing KO and Amir -- they'd get destroyed on the boards.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That's not a problem with Galllinari, it's a problem with our big rotation :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I do not see Ainge making a trade for any Gallo, Derozan, level talent player because I think he wants more and will wait like some others mentioned.  The only way I see him going after a talent is if they are a good contract bad situation deal like Thomas was.

Personally am I not the biggest fan of Galinari especially for that kind of price in the rumor there.  I like Derozan but probably not for what he can sign with someone for.  I love how much he drives to the rim (leads the league there).
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Gallo could help us if he stays healthy.  I don't disagree with that.  But he's also super overrated here for some reason.   

I don't think he is overrated per se, it's just that he is seen as the type of top level talent (and he does have All Star talent) that is attainable for a reasonable price.  He has a huge contract for a couple years on a team going nowhere in the near term, he is in his mid-prime years, and he fits a major need for the Celtics.

I could imagine Denver accepting something like Sully+Lee+Young+Boston 2016 1st for Gallo.  That might be an overpay but considering what we will still have, adding a 6'10" offensive machine to our starting 5 would make the Cs very dangerous.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Gallo could help us if he stays healthy.  I don't disagree with that.  But he's also super overrated here for some reason.   

I don't think he is overrated per se, it's just that he is seen as the type of top level talent (and he does have All Star talent) that is attainable for a reasonable price.  He has a huge contract for a couple years on a team going nowhere in the near term, he is in his mid-prime years, and he fits a major need for the Celtics.

I could imagine Denver accepting something like Sully+Lee+Young+Boston 2016 1st for Gallo.  That might be an overpay but considering what we will still have, adding a 6'10" offensive machine to our starting 5 would make the Cs very dangerous.

I think we are in a position to afford an 'overpay'.  Nobody on here wants to deal dollar for dollar.  They want guys like Horford, Gallo, etc. for .25$ on the dollar.  Not going to happen.

If you want someone, you need give up something.  Sometimes, if the player is that good, you need to give up even more.  If we want some of these teams to deal, and the player is valued that high, then overpay.  I mean geez, our GM has only set us up with a truck load of assets.  We can afford a few overpays to get the talent needed for the next step.