Author Topic: Vague Gallo rumor  (Read 7009 times)

Vague Gallo rumor
« on: January 30, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
According to ESPN DA has interest in acquiring Gallo.
The article links to a site called sportsnando, a totally unknown resource so I doubt it's veracity.
Non the less the unnamed source states that Denver's asking price is a couple of future first rounders.

If that's the case I'd happily offer the better of our or Dallas 2016 pick and our 2018 plus lee and one of Sully, Young, Hunter or Zeller. I'd even throw in Minnesota's 2nd rounders.

Some of you think this is to much but I believe it's worth it for a couple of reasons.
Gallo is a legit first option who fits our system.
He is an active defender and has the grit and balls mentality that characterizes this team.
The hidden beauty of a trade centered around lee, sully/Zeller and picks is that it clears the front court log jam and opens the door for Mickey to get some minutes. (I'm looking at you Triboy )

Look at that positional versatility! We will give teams fits.

Ball handlers: IT, Smart, Turner
Wings: Crowder, Gallo,  Bradley, smart.
Swings: Gallo, jerebko, crowder
Bigs: Johnson, Oly, Mickey

That's a great defensive first unit with scoring punch at 4 positions.
Our superbench of smart, turner, and Oly would be augmented by the springy shot blocking defense of Jordan Mickey.

Let's not get into the semantics of who plays the three and who plays the four. Stevens swings and wings philosophy kind of negates the argument and these two make it easy. Crowder is so versatile on D and Gallo is so competitive that it really doesn't matter. All Brad has to do is play the matchups.

That team is will get into the second round and could make a conference finals appearance.

What a way to enter a super competitive FA summer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:37:54 PM by arctic 3.0 »

Re: Vague Gallo rumor
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gallo can officially be traded on Monday, but I've heard a counter argument that ainge is unlikely to move for a Gallo-level talent, because it makes it impossible for us to sign two max guys this summer.  The idea being that ainge wants to try to at least pitch Durant and horford on joining forces on a quality team that already has one allstar (Thomas), prob just made the playoffs and very possibly has a decent rookie acquired from the lotto pick from Brooklyn (which maybe can be used to trade for one more major piece).

I do think Gallo is a bit overrated around here.  His shooting percentages aren't great. He's super injury prone. How is he defensively ?

I can see any one of these guys being made available at the deadline:  Hayward, Middleton, Tobias Harris and Gallo... They all make some sense here.  Gallo is probably the one I'm least interested in. And I can see the logic in just waiting until this summer to see what's up.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'd love to have another scorer like Gallo on the team for the right price. He'd help the Celtics with their best attribute: versatility. TP if you can provide a link.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Gallo can officially be traded on Monday, but I've heard a counter argument that ainge is unlikely to move for a Gallo-level talent, because it makes it impossible for us to sign two max guys this summer.  The idea being that ainge wants to try to at least pitch Durant and horford on joining forces on a quality team that already has one allstar (Thomas), prob just made the playoffs and very possibly has a decent rookie acquired from the lotto pick from Brooklyn (which maybe can be used to trade for one more major piece).

Yeah that's a long shot.
We don't give up Any core pieces in my scenario and get a massive talent upgrade.
We still have the nets picks and room to bring in a top tier talent in FA.

If we were able to land durant we could role with all three in the starting line up. (Again thanks to the do it all versitility of crowder.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I'd love to have another scorer like Gallo on the team for the right price. He'd help the Celtics with their best attribute: versatility. TP if you can provide a link.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
If celtics have inquired about teague and horford. Could they be doing that to try to send teague to Den for gallo

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I do think Gallo is a bit overrated around here.  His shooting percentages aren't great. He's super injury prone. How is he defensively ?

I can see any one of these guys being made available at the deadline:  Hayward, Middleton, Tobias Harris and Gallo... They all make some sense here.  Gallo is probably the one I'm least interested in. And I can see the logic in just waiting until this summer to see what's up.

Funny that you mention injury concerns with Gallo in the same post as you suggest we would be better off trying for durant and horford.

I mean come on, give the rest of us some credit.

Also go watch him play, or look him up if you want to know about his defense. Throwing out a question like "how is he defensively?" is a classic debate tactic meant to cast doubt with out actually having to back up a dubious claim.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:36:29 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Funny that you mention injury concerns with Gallo in the same post as you suggest we would be better off trying for durant and horford.
Why is that funny?  Gallinari played 28 games in 2009.  He missed 20 games in 2011.  He missed 39 games in 2012.  He missed all of the 2014 season.  He missed 23 games last season.   He's having a decent season (though he's shooting 41%)... career averages of 14.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.5 blocks and 0.8 steals with 41%/37%/86% shooting.   He's making 14 mil per year, is 27 years old, and is likely never going to be an all-star despite his career season.   

I'm not going to bother giving you Kevin Durant's credentials.   Those two guys aren't remotely close.   Durant had a rough season last year and I guess there's a little worry about his bone graft, but the dude looks pretty stellar this season:  27.2 points, 8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.2 blocks, 1 steal with 51%/39%/89% shooting   

Gallo could help us if he stays healthy.  I don't disagree with that.  But he's also super overrated here for some reason.   I was actually one of the first people to suggest going after him this Summer.  But at some point between my suggestion and today, there's some fans who have convinced themselves he's the franchise player we need.    I'm ok with getting him as long as it doesn't handicap our ability to try landing a real franchise player when one becomes available on the trade market (or via free agency).  I'm a firm believer that Boston has a better shot in free agency than a lot of people here think.

Horford has had more injuries.  Yeah.  That's true.   But I'd rather sign Horford in free agency than give up a bunch of assets to get Gallo right now. 

You can make the case that getting Gallo increases our ability to land free agents, though... makes us a more legit team and pushes us closer to being a destination.  I'd buy that.  But I'm just relaying what I've heard... which is that Ainge wants to maintain flexibility this summer and would rather head into the offseason with cap space for two max contracts... just in case. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:47:48 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Why is that funny?  Gallinari played 28 games in 2009.  He missed 20 games in 2011.  He missed 39 games in 2012.  He missed all of the 2014 season.  He missed 23 games last season.   He's having a decent season (though he's shooting 41%)... career averages of 14.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.5 blocks and 0.8 steals with 41%/37%/86% shooting.   He's making 14 mil per year, is 27 years old, and is likely never going to be an all-star despite his career season.   

I'm not going to bother giving you Kevin Durant's credentials.   Those two guys aren't remotely close.   Durant had a rough season last year and I guess there's a little worry about his bone graft, but the dude looks pretty stellar this season:  27.2 points, 8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.2 blocks, 1 steal with 51%/39%/89% shooting   

Gallo could help us if he stays healthy.  I don't disagree with that.  But he's also super overrated here for some reason.   I was actually one of the first people to suggest going after him this Summer.  But at some point between my suggestion and today, there's some fans who have convinced themselves he's the franchise player we need.    I'm ok with getting him as long as it doesn't handicap our ability to try landing a real franchise player when one becomes available on the trade market (or via free agency).  I'm a firm believer that Boston has a better shot in free agency than a lot of people here think.

Horford has had more injuries.  Yeah.  That's true.   But I'd rather sign Horford in free agency than give up a bunch of assets to get Gallo right now. 

You can make the case that getting Gallo increases our ability to land free agents, though... makes us a more legit team and pushes us closer to being a destination.  I'd buy that.  But I'm just relaying what I've heard... which is that Ainge wants to maintain flexibility this summer and would rather head into the offseason with cap space for two max contracts... just in case.

Question, not saying I'd want to but if we traded for Gallo and Renounced(waived?) the rights to Amir and Jerebko's non guaranteed second years would we have enough space for 2 max contracts this summer?

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Well, you held up your end of the bargain. I have to hold mine. However, that rumor from ESPN came from Sportando, which I think is an Italian sports website. Not sure how much credibility they have.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Well, you held up your end of the bargain. I have to hold mine. However, that rumor from ESPN came from Sportando, which I think is an Italian sports website. Not sure how much credibility they have.

Minimal, which the OP mentioned in his first post.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Question, not saying I'd want to but if we traded for Gallo and Renounced(waived?) the rights to Amir and Jerebko's non guaranteed second years would we have enough space for 2 max contracts this summer?
Someone can check my rough math, but I think if you include the salaries we'll need to give to our draft picks this year (here's hoping we land the #1 pick), we're looking at something like 40 mil on the books next season if we renounce Amir and Jerebko and let Turner, Sully and Zeller walk.   Cap should be about 80 mil... so there's space in there for two max deals more or less (two guys making 20 mil per year).   

Gallo makes 15 mil.  You add him into the mix and now you only have 25 mil in cap space.  If you plan on retaining Sully, you now no longer have cap space to sign a single max guy let alone 2.

I'm just saying that a guy like Kevin Durant may be available... and even if it seems like a ridiculous long-shot, I think the team should do everything in their power to put themselves in position to not only sign Durant, but have enough space to add another guy.   Also think about the flexibility... even if there isn't a 2nd star to sign in free agency... if you have that Brooklyn pick and 20 mil in cap space to absorb a fat contract, you might be able to land a running mate for KD.   So if the rumor I heard is true, Ainge wants to maintain as much flexibility as possible... making it unlikely he'd lock up 15 mil in cap room for a guy like Gallo who could help us a bit this year but isn't going to get us a championship this year... so it might not be the right time to make that move.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:21:36 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Gallo's contract isn't bad, but he's only signed through next year, with a player option for 17-18.  I'm thinking Ainge is trying to build for a window on the order of 5 years.  You really need to think like that, because you never know how injuries can derail you year to year.  We saw that with our last great team.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 02:39:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Someone can check my rough math, but I think if you include the salaries we'll need to give to our draft picks this year (here's hoping we land the #1 pick), we're looking at something like 40 mil on the books next season if we renounce Amir and Jerebko and let Turner, Sully and Zeller walk.   Cap should be about 80 mil... so there's space in there for two max deals more or less (two guys making 20 mil per year).   

Gallo makes 15 mil.  You add him into the mix and now you only have 25 mil in cap space.  If you plan on retaining Sully, you now no longer have cap space to sign a single max guy let alone 2.

I'm just saying that a guy like Kevin Durant may be available... and even if it seems like a ridiculous long-shot, I think the team should do everything in their power to put themselves in position to not only sign Durant, but have enough space to add another guy.   Also think about the flexibility... even if there isn't a 2nd star to sign in free agency... if you have that Brooklyn pick and 20 mil in cap space to absorb a fat contract, you might be able to land a running mate for KD.   So if the rumor I heard is true, Ainge wants to maintain as much flexibility as possible... making it unlikely he'd lock up 15 mil in cap room for a guy like Gallo who could help us a bit this year but isn't going to get us a championship this year... so it might not be the right time to make that move.
I'm going to assume your # was right in the 40 mil we have committed next year.

The cap is projected to be 89 mil which gives us a bit more wiggle room, but with the trade kicker Gallo makes 18 mil a year.

We will have 49 mil in cap to go after 2 max guys but that's all we could do.

Both Durant and Horford can receive contracts between 25-26 mil a year.

If we get Gallo then good bye cap space
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm going to assume your # was right in the 40 mil we have committed next year.

The cap is projected to be 89 mil which gives us a bit more wiggle room, but with the trade kicker Gallo makes 18 mil a year.

We will have 49 mil in cap to go after 2 max guys but that's all we could do.

Both Durant and Horford can receive contracts between 25-26 mil a year.

If we get Gallo then good bye cap space
My math was super rough.  But I've specifically seen it mentioned that AInge would be unlikely to trade for Gallo, because it would eliminate the double max contract possibility.