Author Topic: Trade Idea: Hayward and Favors for Smart and picks  (Read 2538 times)

Trade Idea: Hayward and Favors for Smart and picks
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Trade idea with the Jazz:

BOS gets: Hayward, Favors, Withey

UTA gets: Smart, Sullinger, Zeller, Lee, BKN 2016 1st, Dallas 2016 1st, MIN 2016 1st (turns into two 2nds), MIA 2016 2nd, MEM 2018 1st (likely to convey in 2019)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gneda27

Which side wouldn't take this deal? Many of the reasons why Utah may look at such a move are well laid out in Zach Lowe's article from last week, copied below.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14647616/the-jazz-hope-enough-money-their-rebuilding-plan-work
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Trade Idea: Hayward and Favors for Smart and picks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's would not.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think it's a very balanced trade idea.  But I'd rather have Smart and Simmons or Ingram than Hayward and Favors, even though it's a slower route back to contention.  (siower might be better with Cleveland and Golden State as they are now).  I also think Sully is a good playoff performer and then we give up a bunch of picks.  But mainly I don't want to give up Smart or the Brooklyn pick despite the major haul of Hayward and Favors. 

Once the lottery is set and we don't have a top two pick I may go back and regret not doing your trade...

minor details: 
--Are IT and Hayward a decent pairing as starters?  IT, Hayward, Crowder, Favors, KO
--Would you rather have Gobert than Favors if that were an option with the same trade?

I'm more interested in Gobert I think...Gobert and Favors or Gobert and Hayward... I might do either of those.  I love our backcourt.  I'm sure Brad would enjoy having Hayward but how much of a star is he?

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Utah should say no. I don't believe that ESPN report about Utah breaking up core.

Only say yes if desire to start their rebuilding process all over again which personally I think would be the silly. They have a good team there that has suffered injury problems this season and is lower in the standings than they should be. Good young team with room to grow that they can add to (point guard!) and keep pushing forward.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
No.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 11:55:53 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
For those questioning Utah's core or 'blowing it up' -- as well as those hoping to trade for Gobert -- I think the point is that their core IS Gobert, Lyles, Hood, Exum, and Burks.

The Jazz are not going to be luxury tax payers, especially if they're not clear cut champ contenders.  Lyles, Hood, Burke, and Exum have all shown very good promise and will need to be paid. Gobert is going to command the max. He and Favors have made the best of it, but are not a great fit. Hood has also come to duplicate the game of Hayward quite a bit. Meanwhile, the Jazz are arguably the NBA team most in need of a quality PG.

So while this is obviously an admission that they're not ready to contend, this is not the Jazz blowing it up. It's about them structuring their asset pool to appropriate align with the rise of Golbert, Exum, and in this case, Smart and this year's BKLN pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I believe it is a great deal for Jazz. The current core for Jazz isn't good enough. A restructuring is important. But until the Nets pick is known C's will have to over pay. I think the C's best option is buy low AB, all 2016 1st, Lee, Turner and Sully or just wait for the off season. Just think, Ingram/Simmons and Smart > Hayward and Favors. C's can't over pay right now giving Smart and Griz pick. Instead give up players you can move on from and all this year's 1st.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 01:32:32 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If Gobert is untouchable basically, then I'd prefer to keep Smart and just trade for Hayward.

Something like:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hup44jz
No picks exchanged, maybe the Philly pick #31 or one of Dallas/Boston 2016 first rounders.

Sully resigns with the Jazz and his buddy Trey Burke (or not if they don't want to spend the money).
(but maybe that idea incentivizes the Jazz...surely they can afford at least one more year after giving up Hayward's salary)

Smart, Rozier
Hayward, Bradley, Hunter
Crowder, Hayward
KO, Booker, Mickey, Crowder
Amir, Zeller, Withey, Lee

I think Hayward Smart would be a dynamic combo...

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
If Gobert is untouchable basically, then I'd prefer to keep Smart and just trade for Hayward.

Something like:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hup44jz
No picks exchanged, maybe the Philly pick #31 or one of Dallas/Boston 2016 first rounders.

Sully resigns with the Jazz and his buddy Trey Burke (or not if they don't want to spend the money).
(but maybe that idea incentivizes the Jazz...surely they can afford at least one more year after giving up Hayward's salary)

Smart, Rozier
Hayward, Bradley, Hunter
Crowder, Hayward
KO, Booker, Mickey, Crowder
Amir, Zeller, Withey, Lee

I think Hayward Smart would be a dynamic combo...

When you start trading 5 players (including our best one) for Hayward, I think you're missing my point.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:38:10 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
For those questioning Utah's core or 'blowing it up' -- as well as those hoping to trade for Gobert -- I think the point is that their core IS Gobert, Lyles, Hood, Exum, and Burks.

The Jazz are not going to be luxury tax payers, especially if they're not clear cut champ contenders.  Lyles, Hood, Burke, and Exum have all shown very good promise and will need to be paid. Gobert is going to command the max. He and Favors have made the best of it, but are not a great fit. Hood has also come to duplicate the game of Hayward quite a bit. Meanwhile, the Jazz are arguably the NBA team most in need of a quality PG.

So while this is obviously an admission that they're not ready to contend, this is not the Jazz blowing it up. It's about them structuring their asset pool to appropriate align with the rise of Golbert, Exum, and in this case, Smart and this year's BKLN pick.

That's a pretty bad core. 

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:09 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

So while this is obviously an admission that they're not ready to contend, this is not the Jazz blowing it up. It's about them structuring their asset pool to appropriate align with the rise of Gobert, Exum, and in this case, Smart and this year's BKLN pick.

That's a pretty bad core.

Really? Ever seen any of them play? If they net solid assets for Hayward and Favors, it's very good -- not to mention balanced.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:47:41 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)