Author Topic: What would it take to get Teague and Horford from Atlanta ?  (Read 1704 times)

What would it take to get Teague and Horford from Atlanta ?
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If Atlanta looks to move Horford and Teague, it will be to commence a re-tool/rebuilding project.
Given our stockpile of assets, I wonder what they'd need from us to send both of them our way.

The other thought with this scenario is if Teague or IT would come off the bench.
Given IT's enormous usage rate, having Teague as the starter and distributing the ball to Bradley, Crowder etc could be a better line up, with IT coming in and maintaining his high usage rate and destroying second units.

There is an argument to be made that we could be better with a top tier point guard like Teague who can be an All Star point guard without IT's enormous usage.

What are people's thoughts on this?

And back to the main question, what would it take to acquire Teague and Horford. Obviously we'd want to keep the Brooklyn pick, but what picks would we send out? Remember that Horford is expiring so his value isn't that high. Teague has one more year left so I think a first and some young talent probably covers his end.
I'm thinking

2016 Celtics pick
2016 Dallas pick
RJ Hunter
James Young

how far off is that?
Thoughts on IT coming off the bench?

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: What would it take to get Teague and Horford from Atlanta ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Horford is a free agent at the end of the year. He would have to agree to sign with us. Teague is declining I would only take him if it is the only way to get Horford. I would trade rozier of we keep him not Hunter.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 11:09:19 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think Thomas would come off the bench if we got Teague. If we traded for Teague, he would be the back up point guard and occasionally play with Thomas, pretty much the Evan Turner role.

As to what they would want, I'm not sure. Value wise I think the deal you mentioned is in the ballpark though
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I could see Miami trading Whiteside and fillers for Hordford and Teague. Hawks get younger. Heat get more win now players.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:49:21 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Horford is the type of guy/deal I think the C's need to go after.  He won't cost an arm and a foot like Love, Griffin, and any other crazy name that has been thrown out there over the past few days. He fits a position of need and I think could fit very well in this system. I know he is an expiring deal at the end of the season but it gives the C's enough time to see how it works out and then they (and the player) can decide on an re-signing in Boston. This way, you don't completely gut the team, you maintain flexibilty, and still have some bullets to use on other deals etc.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:19:21 PM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I don't think Thomas would come off the bench if we got Teague. If we traded for Teague, he would be the back up point guard and occasionally play with Thomas, pretty much the Evan Turner role.

As to what they would want, I'm not sure. Value wise I think the deal you mentioned is in the ballpark though

I think there's a strong possibility he would. We kind of have a 'ceiling' with IT taking up so much usage. He's a defensive liability with high usage- perfect for the bench.
Yes he's an All Star, but that's because we've given him unlimited usage and free reign, and with some real stars here one day, that usage will drop significantly.
There's a good discussion about this on RealGM.
Slartibast had a good point about it...

His D-RPM is consistently and severely negative. And a metric that rates him as our 2nd best defender (behind ET!) flunks the eye test in historic fashion.

He's not the worst defender in the league but he's definitely in the bottom third.

He's a defensive liability who needs near superstar usage to maximize his offensive strengths and be a big net positive.

If you surround him with 3+ defensive roleplayers (AB/Crowder/Amir + Smart as 6th man) and let him be the offense, he looks great and the team functions at a decent level, but you've got a pretty firm cap on the potential. Bringing in more offensive star power in the starting line-up will reduce IT's usage and decrease his net benefit.

The best place for a very high-usage go-to scorer who is a defensive liability is as a 6th man.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think there's a strong possibility he would. We kind of have a 'ceiling' with IT taking up so much usage. He's a defensive liability with high usage- perfect for the bench.
Yes he's an All Star, but that's because we've given him unlimited usage and free reign, and with some real stars here one day, that usage will drop significantly.
There's a good discussion about this on RealGM.
Slartibast had a good point about it...

His D-RPM is consistently and severely negative. And a metric that rates him as our 2nd best defender (behind ET!) flunks the eye test in historic fashion.

He's not the worst defender in the league but he's definitely in the bottom third.

He's a defensive liability who needs near superstar usage to maximize his offensive strengths and be a big net positive.

If you surround him with 3+ defensive roleplayers (AB/Crowder/Amir + Smart as 6th man) and let him be the offense, he looks great and the team functions at a decent level, but you've got a pretty firm cap on the potential. Bringing in more offensive star power in the starting line-up will reduce IT's usage and decrease his net benefit.

The best place for a very high-usage go-to scorer who is a defensive liability is as a 6th man.
I think how bad his defense is, is overstated. With him on the court our defensive rating is 100.6 which is better than any defensive team rating in the league except for the Spurs.

Even if his defensive rating is heavily impacted by his teammates he isn't such a negative that it hurts our defense too much. If you check the on/off statsbfor teague he is actually more detrimental to his teams defense than It and he's not as good on offense as It.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Al horford is a guy I've wanted on the team since he came into the league.  Sully and a draft pick unless it's a sign and trade.  Not checking salaries but put whatever else is needed to make numbers work.  Now Teague you can't really add in unless you are moving Isaiah.  Plain, simple.  I'm not sure I see Atlanta going all in to rebuild UNLESS a near contender (ok, Toronto etc) makes a big push for trying to make a serious run.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I don't know if it would take the two picks.  I think it would be say Dallas 2016 pick would be involved.  But I think they'd want a few players instead.  I think they'd probably go after Terry Rozier as to be there backup point guard.  Kelly Olynyk I think would be the piece they'd want, for the simple reason he's a player that could play next to Millsap and he's signed for next year.  We might be able to put in Sully in the deal instead of Olynyk and maybe throw in one of our 2nd round picks.  David Lee would have to be involved in this trade as a money filler or they could ask for Amir Johnson instead. 

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 07:37:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd like Al more than Teague, myself.

I'm hoping that Paul Pierce and KG left a good impression on him a few years ago during an ASG. I saw some commentary that stated that he was impressed by those two.

IIRC, it was the one where Paul and KG made the ASG but were not the best players there....2011 maybe?

Hopefully lasting impressions go very far.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Ainge trades for Teague and adds him to our guard rotation, which already includes an All-Star point guard, he might as well go ahead and trade Smart and Rozier, because they will not get a genuine chance to develop.  Especially if the trade for Teague doesn't involve Turner heading out the other way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Both Teague and Horford are really good players. I'd assume if both are involved, either the C's are moving on of their guards or Teague goes to a 3rd team.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Teague makes zero sense.  IT and Bradley are the scorers . He is so redundant , SMH ......how about Philly ...he'd make a signicant impact on a guard less team

I'll take Smart every day and twice on Sunday .  ET , Rozier , IT , Bradley .......makes no sense to have him at all.  Houston would be good place for him.....but if he is all that great why EVEN trade him?   Never liked Teague anyway...I think he is bit of a coaching pain hard case and Bud don't like him.

Horford is another matter .  Letting some bigs go for him might make sense,

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Teague makes zero sense.  IT and Bradley are the scorers . He is so redundant , SMH ......how about Philly ...he'd make a signicant impact on a guard less team

I'll take Smart every day and twice on Sunday .  ET , Rozier , IT , Bradley .......makes no sense to have him at all.  Houston would be good place for him.....but if he is all that great why EVEN trade him?   Never liked Teague anyway...I think he is bit of a coaching pain hard case and Bud don't like him.

Horford is another matter .  Letting some bigs go for him might make sense,

He actually makes perfect sense if you bring IT off the bench.

A team of
Teague
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Amir

With

IT
Smart
Olynyk

Off the bench is much better than our squad now.
The point being that we are never going to be a championship team with IT having the highest usage rate on our team.
Teague is $8 million a year and has been an All Star too.

The ball gets shared around a lot more with Teague out there in the starting 5 in my opinion, and like when he was coming off the bench, IT can still come in and score 20 points a game and keep his high usage.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 10:05:11 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
If Ainge trades for Teague and adds him to our guard rotation, which already includes an All-Star point guard, he might as well go ahead and trade Smart and Rozier, because they will not get a genuine chance to develop.  Especially if the trade for Teague doesn't involve Turner heading out the other way.

Teague would be an upgrade at $8 million.
A guard rotation of Smart, IT, Bradley and Teague, with Rozier playing spot minutes for next year is going to be a much better short term result.
The only one who would suffer less minutes is Rozier. If he was a top 5 pick then yeah the development question comes into it, but it makes us a much better overall team while Rozier develops.

Plus if we are going to upgrade with a trade at another position,  you'd assume that one of those guards is going out anyway which makes room for Rozier.

Teague
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Amir

IT
Smart
Olynyk
Rozier
Jerebko
brooklyn pick
Turner

If Avery goes out in a trade then Smart replaces him and Rozier gets the call up.
When is Rozier getting minutes next season anyway with a win now coach like Brad?