Poll

If Utah offers Hayward for the Nets pick do you do it.

No. I'm holding out hope for a top 2 pick.
30 (73.2%)
Yes. Take the sure thing.
6 (14.6%)
I'd get nervous and throw up.
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Would you swap The Nets pick For Hayward  (Read 3695 times)

Would you swap The Nets pick For Hayward
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:04:29 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 25 years old, 20ppg 5rpg 3.5apg, Former Brad Stevens Butler Buldog. He would fit right in here and speed up the whole process meanwhile we'd still have two Nets drafty picks although they have uncertainty.

I don't know why Utah does it honestly, but if Zach Lowe brings it up then fine here we are. David Lee works for the filler BTW.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:55:39 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Utah just called They want the Nets pick for Hayward!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:19:57 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Are you secretly a Jazz fan?
Gordon Hayward's aunt?
Butler alum?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 04:51:33 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Nope Dino, We could easily get the 4th pick. Who would you take at 4. He certainly wouldn't be better than Gordon for a long time.

Re: Would you swap The Nets pick For Hayward
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:29:52 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
It's not about whether Hayward would be better than a player we could draft at #4. It's about whether Hayward would be as good for the Celtics as another current NBA star we could otherwise use that same pick to acquire. A couple months ago it looked like the trade market for stars would be sparse. That market might now include Cousins, Griffin, Horford, Marc Gasol, Noel, Howard, Love. We need to save our biggest bullet for a bigger star, for a star big. Hayward would be a great third option, like Ray Allen. This trade idea would be like trading the Celtics' 2007 1st for Ray before the 2007 lottery happened, when that pick still had a sizable chance to become Durant or Oden, at a point when it could have been nearly worth KG alone. You don't use that pick unless it's either an all-around superstar or a defensive centerpiece. Maybe if Hayward were the best player conceivably available in a trade this season, then the pick's currency would be devalued, but fortunately that's not the case.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:31:39 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
One of the options should be: No, I wouldn't trade the Brooklyn pick for Hayward, Period.

I wouldn't trade a top 5 pick for Hayward.
Totally over rated IMO.
Will never be an All Star. Mediocre defender. High usage on bad team.

He's an above average role player and he's also going to want star money. Would rather save the money for a real All Star caliber guy.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:17:20 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
One of the options should be: No, I wouldn't trade the Brooklyn pick for Hayward, Period.

I wouldn't trade a top 5 pick for Hayward.
Totally over rated IMO.
Will never be an All Star. Mediocre defender. High usage on bad team.

He's an above average role player and he's also going to want star money. Would rather save the money for a real All Star caliber guy.

This is a little bit of an overreaction but the gist is correct. You simply can't afford to give up an almost-certain top 5 pick for a guy who has never been an All-Star, probably will not ever be an All-Star and only has one year on his contract after this one.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:19:21 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Really depends on where we land in the draft, and the players that are left when we are picking. If we get the 4th or 5th pick and Ingram, Brown and Simmons are off the board; then sure I would trade our pick for Hayward.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Nope Dino, We could easily get the 4th pick. Who would you take at 4. He certainly wouldn't be better than Gordon for a long time.
TP KG; This is spot on. I personally can't see any player (besides Brown, Ingram and Simmons), who is going to develop into a better player than Hayward in the long run anyway. He would furthermore be a nice piece to this team given that he knows Stevens from Butler ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That is a tough decision. I think I'd roll the dice on keeping the draft pick. I think the upside of that top 2 pick vs Hayward is more than the upside of Hayward vs 3-6 pick. So I'll take a chance on getting that top 2 pick.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
That is a tough decision. I think I'd roll the dice on keeping the draft pick. I think the upside of that top 2 pick vs Hayward is more than the upside of Hayward vs 3-6 pick. So I'll take a chance on getting that top 2 pick.

And we can always go after Hayward once he reaches free-agency in a couple of years, and I believe we have the inside track to sign him if the interest is there. After next season to be more precise.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

TP KG; This is spot on. I personally can't see any player (besides Brown, Ingram and Simmons), who is going to develop into a better player than Hayward in the long run anyway. He would furthermore be a nice piece to this team given that he knows Stevens from Butler ::)

Tp back Ta9, good point Bud on the inside track to Gordon. It never send to with out that way though.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 06:43:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
What is this boards infatuation with Hayward?

Jae Crowder literally gives us almost the same numbers, if not better in terms of defensive hustle and grit that he provides. Hayward is a 3rd option on a contender, and 2nd one at 'best,' his defense is mediocre, his passing is overrated due to the fact there aren't that many good playmakers on the team, high usage rate, and he takes extremely tough shots sometimes.

No thank you.

The Nets pick as many have stated only go for stars like Love, Cousins, Marc Gasol, etc.

Hayward if interested can sign with us in free agency if he truly wants to be a Celtic.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Jae Crowder literally gives us almost the same numbers, if not better in terms of defensive hustle and grit that he provides. Hayward is a 3rd option on a contender, and 2nd one at 'best,' his defense is mediocre, his passing is overrated due to the fact there aren't that many good playmakers on the team, high usage rate, and he takes extremely tough shots sometimes.

No thank you.

The Nets pick as many have stated only go for stars like Love, Cousins, Marc Gasol, etc.

Hayward if interested can sign with us in free agency if he truly wants to be a Celtic.

You can't trade a pick for players who aren't available.

Meanwhile, basketball's a team game, and Crowder and Hayward are not mutually exclusive. They can, ya know, play together.....

By the way, have you watched Hayward play? He's good.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 07:13:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

No thank you.

You can't trade a pick for players who aren't available.

Meanwhile, basketball's a team game, and Crowder and Hayward are not mutually exclusive. They can, ya know, play together.....

By the way, have you watched Hayward play? He's good.

And you know this how? Are you mutually exclusive with GM's behind closed doors? Do you have a crystal ball into the future?

By the way, Hayward is good, but he's not top 5 pick good.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 07:22:23 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
No.