Author Topic: Bill Simmons' Blake Griffin trade idea  (Read 7716 times)

Re: Bill Simmons' Blake Griffin trade idea
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 06:43:27 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Didn't see a dedicated thread about it.  In his Friday Rollin podcast with Joe House today, they asked whether or not Crowder, Avery Bradley and the 2016 Brooklyn 1st would be enough for Blake Griffin.   They both decided Boston would have to do it if the Clippers would take it.

Thoughts?
  If I'm LA and I'm giving you an ultra elite player, I pretty much want to cherry pick your assets to meet my needs. I want Brooklyn 2016 and Dallas 2016. I also want both Sullinger and Olynyk plus Crowder. Sullinger and Olynyk would work well with Jordan and who wouldn't want Crowder? Jerebko is needed to make the trade work in the ESPN trade machine. It's a lot to give up but if you want a star you have to pay through the nose for him and this why Ainge acquired all those assets.

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Another Griffin trade that really helps Utah.  (Utah wins the deal imo, money and otherwise)
Clippers get an excellent player (Hayward) and a chance to build some sustained depth...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zg7pagp

Boston lineup:

Smart, Rozier, Neto
Bradley, Hunter
ET, Inglis
Griffin, KO, Lyles
AJ, KO, Mickey, Zeller, Lee

picks:
Clippers receive:  Boston 2016, Utah 2016, Nets 2017, Memphis 2018
Utah receives:  Boston pick #31 via Philly

--Boston keeps this year's Brooklyn pick and the Dallas pick.  Prays for Simmons/Ingram....settles for Jaylen Brown.

Clippers roster:

Paul, Rivers,
Reddick, Crawford, J. Young
Hayward, Pierce, Wes Johnson, Stephenson
Pierce, Booker, Mbah Moute
DJordan, Aldrich, Withey

Jazz roster:

IT, T. Burke
Hood, Burks, Exum
Crowder, Hood, Jerebko
Favors, Sully, Jerebko
Gobert, Favors, Sully, Plies          Small ball with Crowder at 4 also an option...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:45:47 PM by wiley »

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 12:12:56 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Another Griffin trade that really helps Utah.  (Utah wins the deal imo, money and otherwise)
Clippers get an excellent player (Hayward) and a chance to build some sustained depth...

Boston lineup:

Smart, Rozier, Neto
Bradley, Hunter
ET, Inglis
Griffin, KO, Lyles

picks:

--Boston keeps this year's Brooklyn pick and the Dallas pick.  Prays for Simmons/Ingram....settles for Jaylen Brown.

Clippers roster:

Paul, Rivers,
DJordan, Aldrich, Withey

Jazz roster:

IT, T. Burke
Hood, Burks, Exum
Crowder, Hood, Jerebko
Favors, Sully, Jerebko
Gobert, Favors, Sully, Plies          Small ball with Crowder at 4 also an option...

Wow, you sure aren't a Celtics fan ;D

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
picks:
We don't have the Nets 2017 pick. That should be Boston 2017. We have their 2016 and 2018 picks.

We can swap picks next year.

Since we can't trader 1sts consecutive years, this trade is impossible.

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Blake Griffin is one of the ten best players in the league. You write a blank check for a top ten player.

Just like the New York Knicks did to get a hold of Carmelo Anthony?
Big difference in BBIQ. And this is the first year Melo has decided to involve his teammates. If he would have done that a few years ago, especially when Amare was healthy that first year, they could have had a lot more success.

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 08:10:28 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Delete

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 11:08:24 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
picks:
We don't have the Nets 2017 pick. That should be Boston 2017. We have their 2016 and 2018 picks.

We can swap picks next year.

Since we can't trader 1sts consecutive years, this trade is impossible.

The Stepien Rule doesn't prohibit trading picks in consecutive years.  It prohibits a team from going consecutive years without a first-round pick, regardless who the original owner of the pick was.  In this particular trade (without giving my opinion of it), the Celtics would still have a first round pick in 16 and 18, so there is no Stepien implication.  Not impossible. 

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Blake Griffin is one of the ten best players in the league. You write a blank check for a top ten player.

Big difference in BBIQ. And this is the first year Melo has decided to involve his teammates. If he would have done that a few years ago, especially when Amare was healthy that first year, they could have had a lot more success.

Melo has absolutely no problems with basketball IQ, and was arguably a more dominant player in his prime than Blake is now .

It's a pretty fair comparison, to be honest.

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 11:10:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Melo has absolutely no problems with basketball IQ, and was arguably a more dominant player in his prime than Blake is now .

It's a pretty fair comparison, to be honest.

I also don't agree with what you said about Amare - at the time every single set of advanced stats showed that the Knicks were horridly bad when Melo and Amare were on the court together.  They were a horrible combination that just didn't work together - both ball hungry guys, and both below average defensive players.

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Boston lineup:

Smart, Rozier, Neto
Bradley, Hunter
ET, Inglis
Griffin, KO, Lyles

picks:

Clippers roster:

Paul, Rivers,
DJordan, Aldrich, Withey

Jazz roster:

IT, T. Burke
Hood, Burks, Exum
Crowder, Hood, Jerebko
Favors, Sully, Jerebko

Wow, you sure aren't a Celtics fan ;D

Was hoping someone would swoop in and make the Jazz not win the deal (as they do now) but also not make them back out of it...
....And then while in the same swoop take back one of the draft picks from the Clippers (don't think you could get away with not including the pick via Nets swap 2017 (or of course the un-givable 2016 Nets pick).  So take back the 2018 Memphis pick.  Problem is I think the Clippers say no without a Net pick from this year or next.

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 01:11:40 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Boston lineup:

Smart, Rozier, Neto
Bradley, Hunter
ET, Inglis
Griffin, KO, Lyles

picks:

Clippers roster:

Paul, Rivers,
DJordan, Aldrich, Withey

Jazz roster:

IT, T. Burke
Hood, Burks, Exum
Crowder, Hood, Jerebko
Favors, Sully, Jerebko

I'm don't think I'd give up Thomas and Crowder for Griffin, personally.  Thomas is an All-Star, and the way Crowder is playing he might not be far off from one.  Both are guys are advanced stat beasts who (on paper) have a huge impact on our ability to win games.

Getting Blake makes us a more popular and exciting team I'm sure, but I don't think it makes us any better in the W/L column - might even make us worse.

Also if I'm the Clippers, no way I trade Griffin just to get Hayward back.  If I'm the Clippers I'd probably need to get Hayward AND Sully (as a replacement for Griffin) back in order to even consider the deal. 

If anything I'd be more inclined to trade DeAndre Jordan, and keep CP3 and Blake Griffin together - those guys seem to play so well together, and DeAndre to me seems like the odd one out.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 12:15:18 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Boston lineup:

Smart, Rozier, Neto
Bradley, Hunter
ET, Inglis
Griffin, KO, Lyles

picks:

Clippers roster:

Paul, Rivers,
DJordan, Aldrich, Withey

Jazz roster:

IT, T. Burke
Hood, Burks, Exum
Crowder, Hood, Jerebko
Favors, Sully, Jerebko

I'm don't think I'd give up Thomas and Crowder for Griffin, personally.  Thomas is an All-Star, and the way Crowder is playing he might not be far off from one.  Both are guys are advanced stat beasts who (on paper) have a huge impact on our ability to win games.

Getting Blake makes us a more popular and exciting team I'm sure, but I don't think it makes us any better in the W/L column - might even make us worse.

Also if I'm the Clippers, no way I trade Griffin just to get Hayward back.  If I'm the Clippers I'd probably need to get Hayward AND Sully (as a replacement for Griffin) back in order to even consider the deal. 

If anything I'd be more inclined to trade DeAndre Jordan, and keep CP3 and Blake Griffin together - those guys seem to play so well together, and DeAndre to me seems like the odd one out.

You're right about the Clippers.  This deal is better: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gqudv3u
for them, and not quite as good for Utah which was necessary.
Sully would be great in LA, backup center and starting PF.  Small ball with Hayward and Pierce as forwards.  What a great passing team (including Sully) that would be, as long as Chris Paul is sharing.

Sully and Hayward, picks and filler to the Clippers
IT and Crowder and filler to Utah.
Griffin and Lyles to the Celtics.

Picks: 

--Celtics 2016, rights to Nets 2017, 2018 Memphis to Clippers
--Celtics 2016 2cnd via Philly (pick 31) to Jazz
--Jazz 2016 2cnd to Celtics

(Jazz argue that Hayward plus Lyles is slightly better than Crowder, IT and Jerebko.  Danny disagrees but pretends not to and swaps the seconds to Celtics detriment without caring)

Dallas pick and 2016 Brooklyn pick remain with Celtics.

I think Griffin and Lyles is worth IT, Crowder, Sully and Jerebko and the 2017 Nets....however I'd remain nervous about next year's Nets pick being better than this years, until it all played out. 
So that could be scary.  It would also suck losing Crowder in this deal, but Griffin is big time and we can throw Smart out there at SF now and then...

if no Simmons/Ingram is in the cards then:
Dunn, Bradley, Smart, Griffin, AJ/KO  could do some damage....

or if not Dunn then eventually
Smart, Bradley, Brown, Griffin, AJ/KO/Mickey

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 03:51:28 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
How about a three team deal?

Denver gets lee, sully, better of Dallas/Boston 2016 pick and 2 second rounders

Clips get Gallo, Bradley, young,  2016 nets and 2 seconds

Boston gets Griffin

I think this is as good a package as the clips could get for Blake.

We get the best player, keep most our core and next years nets pick.
Starters: IT, Smart, Crowder, BG, AJ
Bench: Turner, Oly, JJ, Mickey, hunter.

Denver may need coaxing, would you give up both Dallas and our pick this year to get it done?

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 06:43:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Gallo, Avery, And Nets pick Jaylen Brown, or Dunn

For Blake Griifin. No thanks if I'm the Clipper's.