Author Topic: Draft Day Scenario (trade idea)  (Read 2469 times)

Draft Day Scenario (trade idea)
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Let's say Philly ends up with a top 2 pick in the draft & take Simmons or Ingram...

Now let's pretend we're fortunate enough to end up w/ pick #4...

A lot would have to fall into place, but nonetheless-- here's my idea:

TO BOS: Okafor, Covington

TO PHI: Dunn, Young, 2016 DAL 1st, 2016 2nd (via MIN), future 2nd round pick

Philly ends up w/ Dunn, Simmons/Ingram, & Noel. They could play small w/ a backcourt of Ish Smith & Dunn.

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

Re: Draft Day Scenario (trade idea)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Let's say Philly ends up with a top 2 pick in the draft & take Simmons or Ingram...

Philly ends up w/ Dunn, Simmons/Ingram, & Noel. They could play small w/ a backcourt of Ish Smith & Dunn.

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

I'm afraid to see what our interior defense would look like with a lineup of Olynyk and Okafor.

If we got #4, I'd trade it for Noel, because I don't think it'd also cost the Dallas pick, too, though I'd certainly be willing to include it if it's still in the twenties like it is now. A Noel/KO frontcourt is much more appealing to me than an Okafor/KO frontcourt. So it'd be:

Boston: Noel, Covington

Philly: Dunn, Young, 2016 2nd (via MIN), future 2nd round pick.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

I'm afraid to see what our interior defense would look like with a lineup of Olynyk and Okafor.

If we got #4, I'd trade it for Noel, because I don't think it'd also cost the Dallas pick, too, though I'd certainly be willing to include it if it's still in the twenties like it is now. A Noel/KO frontcourt is much more appealing to me than an Okafor/KO frontcourt. So it'd be:

Hope this is a sick joke. I wouldn't trade #4 straight up for Okafor or Noel, let alone also give up the Dallas pick and Young! Thank god Danny is our GM...

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

I have Olynyk starting for the sole purpose of stretching the floor. He'd probably play about 25 mins a night. A lot of small ball could be played w/ Crowder or Covington at the 4.

Keep in mind that Okafor is averaging 1.1 blocks a game while sharing the paint w/ Noel at times. When I see Okafor's huge frame I immediately think Al Jefferson or Marc Gasol who are both also finesse bigs who can block shots

Even if your not sold on Okafor's defense or ability to move his feet quickly--we can bring in other guys who'd even further bolster the front court.

For example a backcourt of:

Olynyk, Amir, (Covington & Crowder)
Okafor, Noah, Amir (Sully??)

Amir is a good defender, can block shots, and is quick on his feet. Signing Noah would provide more of the same along with some great passing and rebounding.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:42:51 PM by CsBanner18 »

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:38:54 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

Hope this is a sick joke. I wouldn't trade #4 straight up for Okafor or Noel, let alone also give up the Dallas pick and Young! Thank god Danny is our GM...

Okafor was the 3rd pick in last years draft. It doesn't matter if YOU would trade the 4th pick for him straight up or not because PHI likely wouldn't.

The way I see it, PHI is allowing us to move up from 4 to 3, albeit two different drafts. Okafor has played a full year and shown his worth, while Dunn hasn't. To me, that alone is worth the DAL 1st.

Not sure if you've watched Covington but he's a great 3pt shooter and is a 6'9 SF/PF. We don't need another SG since we already have Bradley, Smart, & Hunter. Young can play SG/SF. I like what Covington brings to the team and therefore I'm willing to add in the Minny 2nd.

All that's left to explain is a future 2nd (which can be protected) to sweeten the deal. Keep in mind Philly doesn't have to accept our offer. If they feel Danny is being cheap, they can look elsewhere to trade one of their bigs. Also, Philly is in the same division--meaning there has to be some incentive for both sides to accept the deal.

I could've offered a future BOS 1st (protected top 20) but the last thing Philly needs is another future 1st. I'm sure they'd rather get some help on the roster via the 2016 draft

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

Okafor was the 3rd pick in last years draft. It doesn't matter if YOU would trade the 4th pick for him straight up or not because PHI likely wouldn't.

The way I see it, PHI is allowing us to move up from 4 to 3, albeit two different drafts. Okafor has played a full year and shown his worth, while Dunn hasn't. To me, that alone is worth the DAL 1st.

Not sure if you've watched Covington but he's a great 3pt shooter and is a 6'9 SF/PF. We don't need another SG since we already have Bradley, Smart, & Hunter. Young can play SG/SF. I like what Covington brings to the team and therefore I'm willing to add in the Minny 2nd.

All that's left to explain is a future 2nd (which can be protected) to sweeten the deal. Keep in mind Philly doesn't have to accept our offer. If they feel Danny is being cheap, they can look elsewhere to trade one of their bigs. Also, Philly is in the same division--meaning there has to be some incentive for both sides to accept the deal.

I could've offered a future BOS 1st (protected top 20) but the last thing Philly needs is another future 1st. I'm sure they'd rather get some help on the roster via the 2016 draft

The point is that Okafor is not a transcendent player and has proven absolutely nothing. He's getting okay stats on an AWFUL team where someone has to get some stats. He is not worth the #4 pick this year. It doesn't matter that Philly won't trade him for the 4th pick because that is a bad trade for Boston that Danny won't make. Again, I am very glad some of our fans are not GM of the team. This makes me cringe.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

The point is that Okafor is not a transcendent player and has proven absolutely nothing. He's getting okay stats on an AWFUL team where someone has to get some stats. He is not worth the #4 pick this year. It doesn't matter that Philly won't trade him for the 4th pick because that is a bad trade for Boston that Danny won't make. Again, I am very glad some of our fans are not GM of the team. This makes me cringe.

I'm glad you're not our GM as well. No Simmons, Ingram, or Brown will likely be available at #4.

That leaves Dunn & a trio of bigs: Bender, Labissiere, & Poeltl...

Dunn is reDUNdant since we have IT4, Smart, & Bradley manning the 1 & 2. Won't be enough PT for Dunn.

Poeltl would be too early to take at 4.

Bender? No thanks...

Skal Labissiere? Eh...id rather Okafor

So who would you suggest we draft at #4 that'll be better than Okafor??? I'll wait...

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

I'm glad you're not our GM as well. No Simmons, Ingram, or Brown will likely be available at #4.

Dunn is reDUNdant since we have IT4, Smart, & Bradley manning the 1 & 2. Won't be enough PT for Dunn.

Bender? No thanks...

So who would you suggest we draft at #4 that'll be better than Okafor??? I'll wait...

I would trade the pick for a star, or take Dragan Bender or possibly Jaylen Brown if Danny think that's best. Okafor - no thank you

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Okafor is likely a better prospect than anybody who will be available at #3 or #4 in this draft. 

I'm skeptical about Bender, and Brown's lack of shooting range is at least as big a question-mark as Okafor's defense. 

Dunn might be a better player than Okafor out of the gate, but he's also older and plays a position that is pretty easy to fill with a productive player.

Trading for Okafor would create a lot of interesting and vexing challenges for finding ways to fit him into the current team, and transforming the team to suit his skillset.

Still, he's got the talent to be a nightly double double threat and perennial All-Star candidate at the center position.  He's young and has NCAA championship pedigree as the best player for a Coach K team.  I'd be thrilled to add him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:58:46 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Okafor is likely a better prospect than anybody who will be available at #3 or #4 in this draft. 

I'm skeptical about Bender, and Brown's lack of shooting range is at least as big a question-mark as Okafor's defense. 

Dunn might be a better player than Okafor out of the gate, but he's also older and plays a position that is pretty easy to fill with a productive player.

If a team was dumb enough to pass on Jaylen Brown at #3, id take him at 4. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll develop a 3pt shot.

Other than that I completely agree w/ you...TP!

Just as you said, I'm skeptical about Bender...Let's not look at Porzingis and assume Bender will be anything close. I'll pass!

I like Dunn, but Rozier can't even get a minute of PT here. Obviously Dunn is a better prospect, but my point is I don't see Brad putting enough trust in him to play him substantial minutes.

Okafor would get PT and would provide a huge need for the Cs

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

Bender? No thanks...

I would trade the pick for a star, or take Dragan Bender or possibly Jaylen Brown if Danny think that's best. Okafor - no thank you
Thanks captain obvious! Obviously any of us would trade the pick for a star, but it's not that simple, buddy. Even if a star was made available for some reason (DMC, B Griffin, PG13), they'd be worth a lot more than the 4th pick in the draft.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

Bender? No thanks...

Thanks captain obvious! Obviously any of us would trade the pick for a star, but it's not that simple, buddy. Even if a star was made available for some reason (DMC, B Griffin, PG13), they'd be worth a lot more than the 4th pick in the draft.

Are you slow or what? This whole thread is around the premise of trading the pick for a star. I'm referring to trading for a different star - one that actually fits our team.

Okafor does NOT fit our system. He can not stretch the floor, and he is not even an elite rebounder or rim protector. He simply does not fit our team. That is wrong with the whole concept of trading for him. I don't want Noel either but he would at least fit this system better (though, again, don't want him for pick #4).

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

Bender? No thanks...

Are you slow or what? This whole thread is around the premise of trading the pick for a star. I'm referring to trading for a different star - one that actually fits our team.

Okafor does NOT fit our system. He can not stretch the floor, and he is not even an elite rebounder or rim protector. He simply does not fit our team. That is wrong with the whole concept of trading for him. I don't want Noel either but he would at least fit this system better (though, again, don't want him for pick #4).

What available star are you proposing we trade the 4th pick for?!? I'm still dying to know...Because more likely than not--NO STAR (Cousins/Griffin-esque) will be available. And more likely than not Okafor is better than ANY player left in the draft.

Noel doesn't stretch the floor either, so please explain how he'd be a better fit than Okafor (athleticism??)...

Okafor IS a rim protector and WILL get better at rebounding. I'd argue that surrounding him with talented players willing to make the extra pass will get him easier points than the ones he gets in Philly--albeit with a lower usage rate.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 07:31:16 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

Cs end up w/:

IT4
Bradley/Smart
Crowder
Olynyk
Okafor

Who says no? THOUGHTS?!

Bender? No thanks...

What available star are you proposing we trade the 4th pick for?!? I'm still dying to know...Because more likely than not--NO STAR (Cousins/Griffin-esque) will be available. And more likely than not Okafor is better than ANY player left in the draft.

Noel doesn't stretch the floor either, so please explain how he'd be a better fit than Okafor (athleticism??)...

Okafor IS a rim protector and WILL get better at rebounding. I'd argue that surrounding him with talented players willing to make the extra pass will get him easier points than the ones he gets in Philly--albeit with a lower usage rate.

Who said Okafor is even available? I'm dying to know!

Noel is a rebounder and rim protector - Noel is not!

Okafor isn't even that good offensively and is not getting many rebounders - keep dreaming pal!