Poll

Would you trade the #1 pick for Blake Griffin?

yes
17 (27.9%)
no
44 (72.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Would you trade the #1 pick (Ben Simmons) for Blake Griffin?  (Read 9230 times)

Would you trade the #1 pick (Ben Simmons) for Blake Griffin?
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yes or no?
If yes, would you also give up the 2017 Nets pick+Bradley+Olynyk for DeAndre Jordan?

So basically
2016 Nets pick
2017 Nets pick
David Lee
Amir Johnson
Avery Bradley
Kelly Olynyk

for Blake and DJ.

Starting 5:

IT
Smart
Crowder
Blake
D Jordan

Is that team a Cavs killer?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Would you trade the #1 pick (Ben Simmons) for Blake Griffin?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Umm........no?

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
Um no, and we aren't getting Simmons, not sure what youre smoking??

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Um no, and we aren't getting Simmons, not sure what youre smoking??

settle down. It's a legitimate question. Blake was a top 5 player in last years playoffs.
We've had topics like this about Jimmy Butler and DeMarcus Cousins and there's nothing wrong discussing Blake Griffin.

If we were lucky enough to get the number one pick, would people entertain trading it for Blake Griffin instead of waiting/hoping that Simmons becomes at least as good as Griffin?

Why am I even replying to your trash.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Tough decision. Close call.

I'd lean towards keeping Simmons over trading for B.Griffin.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I can't answer your poll as there's no "not sure" option.  I'd be fairly ecstatic about either scenario, though.

I know the refrain seems to be; "there's no way we are getting the number one pick!!"  And I totally understand not getting our hopes up, because it will most likely end in disappointment . . . but it's not that far fetched.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
No sir. Griffin is a great player, and even seems like a decent dude. I know this sounds awful and biased, but he just has that "Hollywood" way about him. Guys like him and LeBron, I don't know if I'd want those sorts of personalities on the Boston Celtics. Would rather keep Simmons and further develop our current group of guys and get the RIGHT ones. If we want a player of Blakes level, I'd go for KD first. He fits the mold more.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If yes, would you also give up the 2017 Nets pick+Bradley+Olynyk for DeAndre Jordan?
I think that is an overpay for D.Jordan.

I don't think you give up the 2017 Nets pick for D.Jordan. At least not with Bradley + Olynyk + the pick I mean. The pick alone I think should be valuable enough to net D.Jordan. I think a top 10 pick should get D.Jordan which is what the Nets pick probably will be. Maybe even another top 5 pick if they screw up the free agency window (after all they did so this year).

If we are counting the 2017 Nets pick as only a mid first rounder. I think we can give Brooklyn something else. The Dallas pick. Maybe an early second. Or even two late first rounders .... while keeping that 2017 Nets pick off the table.

Too high a price for D.Jordan.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 12:07:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No.  Blake is a beast but it seems pretty clear that he isn't at that LeBron/Durant level.  Simmons might not even turn out as good as Blake but you've got to take that chance.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Read Zach Lowe's article -- which is fair to Blake both positively and negatively -- and I think you land on the right answer. No. Among other things, he's a FA after next season.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Absolutely not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think that is an overpay for D.Jordan.

I don't think you give up the 2017 Nets pick for D.Jordan. At least not with Bradley + Olynyk + the pick I mean. The pick alone I think should be valuable enough to net D.Jordan. I think a top 10 pick should get D.Jordan which is what the Nets pick probably will be. Maybe even another top 5 pick if they screw up the free agency window (after all they did so this year).

If we are counting the 2017 Nets pick as only a mid first rounder. I think we can give Brooklyn something else. The Dallas pick. Maybe an early second. Or even two late first rounders .... while keeping that 2017 Nets pick off the table.

Too high a price for D.Jordan.
have to agree on that.  nothing but pure conjecture that the Nets won't be bad again in 2017.   I'd offer either AB or KO with the better of the C's/Dallas picks this year. 

I can't see Blake being moved for just the #1 pick.  Love cost 2 #1's and I think Blake is the better player.  (granted, Bennett was one of those picks but still, he was just 1 year removed from being the top pick).  however, if the deal was just Blake straight up for #1, I can't see how that could be turned down provided Blake heals completely and whatever caused the incident is verified as 'never could happen again' situation.  Blake is the type of top level player that we're trying to get.  He's still young and he's a proven player.
I'd have to think that Danny would then move 1 of Sully/Zeller/KO in a deal --> Sully and/or Zeller being a S&T if it's them --- to further thin the frontcourt. 

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Dunno. What I do know is that when Sully had his altercation with his GF a lot of people were saying get rid of him and calling him all sorts of things but not many say much of anything at all in these Blake (okafor) threads.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Also, why would they trade both Jordan and Blake? Point is that's long been a tough fit. Wouldn't make sense for the Cs or anyone else to acquire both.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Definitely not without an extension and probably not anyways.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14