Poll

Crowder and Boston's 2016 first rounder for Kevin Love

Yes. You would have to..
26 (43.3%)
No. Crowder is the backbone of the team.
34 (56.7%)
I'd trade Crowder straight up no pick.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Would you trade Crowder and 1 first for Love.  (Read 5327 times)

Re: Would you trade Crowder and 1 first for Love.
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Depends on the details of the contract ,  would Love sign a long term deal or get frustrated in Boston  and run off to the Lakers .

Not the 2016 nets first? .....a non Nets first

Crowder is loyal and good value .  He has found a home . Love will NOT be as loyal

Not sure Love even wants to,be in Boston any more than Cleveland.

Would Love really want to be in Boston , stick it out till a dominate team is compiled.  Maybe if Durrant was coming or such .

I m scared we d lose Love, our pick and Crowder in the end .....wind up going backwards. Basically what Cavs did .....throw away Wiggins ......then watch Love leave.

I would not trade for Love.   I d wait till he wanted to leave without having to,give up a lot .  You want him to WANT to,be a Celtic , not force him .

I d wait the season out see....what goes down in Cleveland ....a better deal could be had .....besides Love wants HIS shot at a title he missed last year . 

LeBron has out clause every summer , the Cavs are on thin ice , I d wait for the blow up.

He signed with Cavs for 5 years. Maybe he has an option but isn't there a rule with 5 years that you can only have an opt out after 3 seasons?

Nope.....everything I could find is he is signing special ONE YEAR deals ,  one year at a time , with bonuses ...all kinds of perks ......he can leave at the summer after each season is the way I read it.

He can blow it up and bolt for Spurs or who ever once the season is done.  I'm pretty sure KLove has a deal with an OUT clause too.....no way he gets stuck with LeBron bolting.  It's basically LeBrons word is all,that is keeping him there ......that's why they are extremely paranoid about his happiness .

LeBron will be a free agent summer 2016 and 2017
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:13:18 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Depends on the details of the contract ,  would Love sign a long term deal or get frustrated in Boston  and run off to the Lakers .

Crowder is loyal and good value .  He has found a home . Love will NOT be as loyal

Would Love really want to be in Boston , stick it out till a dominate team is compiled.  Maybe if Durrant was coming or such .

I m scared we d lose Love, our pick and Crowder in the end .....wind up going backwards. Basically what Cavs did .....throw away Wiggins ......then watch Love leave.

I would not trade for Love.   I d wait till he wanted to leave without having to,give up a lot .  You want him to WANT to,be a Celtic , not force him .

I d wait the season out see....what goes down in Cleveland ....a better deal could be had .....besides Love wants HIS shot at a title he missed last year . 

LeBron has out clause every summer , the Cavs are on thin ice , I d wait for the blow up.

He signed with Cavs for 5 years. Maybe he has an option but isn't there a rule with 5 years that you can only have an opt out after 3 seasons?

Nope.....everything I could find is he is signing special ONE YEAR deals ,  one year at a time , with bonuses ...all kinds of perks ......he can leave at the summer after each season is the way I read it.

He can blow it up and bolt for Spurs or who ever once the season is done.  I'm pretty sure KLove has a deal with an OUT clause too.....no way he gets stuck with LeBron bolting.  It's basically LeBrons word is all,that is keeping him there ......that's why they are extremely paranoid about his happiness .

LeBron will be a free agent summer 2016 and 2017

Ha, I see some confusion here.  I think you both are talking about 2 different things.  Just to clear this up a little:

Love signed a 5 year contract in the summer.  He's signed through 2020.  Him leaving Boston (or any team) isn't an issue for whatever team he's on.

But then you go from several straight paragraphs talking about Love, and jump straight to LeBron:

So ya, I guess the Cavs could blow it up at any time if LeBron decides to leave again (but Love and Irving are still a playoff team).  I think most view LeBron leaving again as a long shot for image reasons.  And actually I think if LeBron did leave Cleveland again, they're less likely to trade Love.  To get the best deal on Love, you have to trade for him when Cleveland is desperate to appease LeBron.  I would think that's now, not after LeBron leaves town again.

LeBron can opt at any time and sign elsewhere, Love can't.  Trading for Love now there is no concern of him jumping ship.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I like Love as a player, but the problem is that it creates more of a log jam at the 4/5, and weakens our thinnest position.  I think the net is that it doesn't make us a better team.  If it could be something like Sully, Lee and a couple picks, maybe even our pick next year with the right to swap with the Nets, or throw in any of Hunter, Young or Rozier, I'm all for it.

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Shaq, Love is locked up for another 4 and a half years, at about 100 million dollars.

That's the one thing I'm surprised more people didn't bring up. With the money involved I think I'd have to pass surprisingly.

But really this thread is a huge mad props to Crowder's development. It would have been laughable to bring this up a year ago.

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Shaq, Love is locked up for another 4 and a half years, at about 100 million dollars.

That's the one thing I'm surprised more people didn't bring up. With the money involved I think I'd have to pass surprisingly.

But really this thread is a huge mad props to Crowder's development. It would have been laughable to bring this up a year ago.

I can not find that any where ...All I see is one year contracts ......with summer releases.....he signed two year deal July 2015 ......player option end of each year.......he wouldn't do the long term deal ....

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 03:51:30 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I really don't get the facsination with Kevin Love. He hasn't played in the post since Minnesota. His 3-point shooting is just okay but the Cavs use him that way because they have no one else.  Oh, and he is a mediocre defender.

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I really don't get the facsination with Kevin Love. He hasn't played in the post since Minnesota. His 3-point shooting is just okay but the Cavs use him that way because they have no one else.  Oh, and he is a mediocre defender.
I don't get the fascination with Crowder. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What do people honestly expect Crowder to do here long-term?  He's played really well.  Do people envision him peaking out as Jeff Green with better defense and leadership qualities?  So like... 17-19 points and 5-7 rebounds, but with big time intangibles?  Is that the dream there?   He's played really well.  I hope he keeps it up.

Kevin Love can drop 25 and 12 a night pretty easily as the focal point of an offense.  He'd be an amazing fit here.  True all-star talent.   We'd have to pair him with a really good defensive big, but when we talk about finding a real star for this team... that's what Kevin Love is. 

I just want to make sure we're not overreacting to Jae Crowder.   In the past week he put up 7 points, 2 rebounds on 30% shooting on 1/22.  He put up 11 points, 5 rebounds with 41% shooting on 1/25.  He put up 13 points, 4 rebounds with 30% shooting on 1/27.  He's done a lot of great things defensively.   I hope the past week isn't a sign that he's tapering off offensively already.  At worst, long term he ends up a heck of a role player.  But what's his worst case?... peaking out as James Posey?  Right around the same age Posey had his peak season averaging 13.7 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.7 steals, 0.5 blocks with 48%/39%/83% shooting in 29.9mpg ... that's almost identical to what Crowder is putting up this season (14.4 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.8 steals, 45%/36%/83% shooting in 32.4mpg).   I loved Posey too, but he spent the bulk of his career as a quality back-up giving you 22-27 minutes per night with strong defense and decent shooting (career averages of 8.6 points, 4.7 rebounds with 35% shooting from three in 27mpg)  ...  And let me just get this out of the way... I don't think it's fair to brush off the possibility that Crowder is the next James Posey as "classic LarBrd33 pessimism"...  I think it's a distinct possibility you need to take into consideration.

So best-case, we're talking rich man's Jeff Green?  And worst-case, we're talking the second coming of James Posey?  I'd probably trade either of those for a legit star like Kevin Love.   Though I must admit, a locked-in rich man's Jeff Green with all-defense ability is probably an all-star.   If you guys genuinely think that's what Crowder will become, then I can totally understand why he'd be off limits.  I just don't think it's possible to speak in certainties about Crowder's future based on what he's done over the past two months.  2 months is 2 months.
great post, but even if Crowder is a locked in Jeff Green, I still don't see how you don't trade that and a pick that right now is in the 20's for Kevin Love.
Well the pick will not even be in the lotto if we make the playoffs.  It's not worth a ton.   So yeah, I think you have to give up Crowder if it gets you Kevin Love. 

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Why does cleveland need Crowder when they have Lebron as their starting SF ? Thompson would move into the starting lineup at PF position . So they would basically be getting a 6th man who plays the same position as Lebron.

Plus their ability to stretch the floor would take a hit . They need help at the SG spot .

I could see something like AB, KO and 2016 Brk pick for Love, but I wouldn't do that until we find out where the pick ends up.

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Where do I sign?

How is no winning?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I'd do it because we need to get better somehow and rolling the dice on Love is as good a gamble as any.

I can see why some people think it's debatable though. Just based off the two players respective form, this would likely make us a significantly worse team this year.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
signing with the Cleveland Cavaliers, he announced Wednesday.

Love has agreed to a five-year, $110 million contract with the team, sources said.

From ESPN Shaq, 110 million for Love, think I'd rather roll the dice on Durant coming here.

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm with LarBrd and others. Love's performance has suffered, but in all likelihood due to fit and system rather than a decline in ability.

He's 27 and locked up for money that will not look nearly as expensive by the end of his contract. (Think about how our view of AB's deal has changed).

He projects as someone who can give you a legit 20/10 with good 3 point shooting. His defense isn't great (or maybe good) but hey, people said the same thing about Ray Allen before he came here.

No, he's not a top 10 player. But he's a great second banana and a huge upgrade over anyone in our frontcourt now.

Crowder's a fan favorite, and has become a top 10 player at his position, though much closer to 10th than 1st.

Love is a perennial All-Star in the right situation, while Crowder will probably never make an All-Star team.

And the 20th pick in the draft - please. If that's a significant impediment to getting an All-Star in anyone's eyes, I don't know what to say. That slot often doesn't even yield a rotation player. We're talking Bruno Caboclo, Tony Snell, Evan Fournier territory.

We need to swap quantity for quantity and this is a great first step. Honestly I suspect it'd take something more like Amir Johnson PLUS Crowder plus a few decent picks (though not the BKN picks). But even that deal is a good one, we got AJ with precisely the goal of having him be a valuable salary/player piece in a bigger trade.

Get Love, make a power move for Horford, and swap our more valuable picks for a top-tier SF or SG, and you have a team. We have the assets to make that happen.

And if Love doesn't work out great, trade him to LA in a couple of years. He'll be up for that and still worth his contract, particularly to the Lakers.

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 05:22:42 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Doc would have to twist my arm & dislocate it to get Crowder (and not a pu-pu platter of other players & picks) in the Griffin deal.

NONETHELESS, HE IS NOT ON THE TABLE FOR KEVIN LOVE.

No thanks

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
If push came to shove yes I would do it. People acting like losing Crowder is no big deal tho are foolish. Defenders like Crowder aren't a dime a dozen and comparing him to someone like Jeff Green is funny. Crowder took a pay cut to return to Boston and plenty of teams would love to have him.