Poll

Crowder and Boston's 2016 first rounder for Kevin Love

Yes. You would have to..
26 (43.3%)
No. Crowder is the backbone of the team.
34 (56.7%)
I'd trade Crowder straight up no pick.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Would you trade Crowder and 1 first for Love.  (Read 5328 times)

Would you trade Crowder and 1 first for Love.
« on: January 29, 2016, 02:08:25 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Lots if talk about this recently, so let's see. If it's a simple trade like this, Crowder Boston first David Lee is the filler, do you want Love and his 19 million per year, or Crowder at 7 million Per.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:19:37 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Would you trade Crowder and 1 first for Love.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 03:49:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What do people honestly expect Crowder to do here long-term?  He's played really well.  Do people envision him peaking out as Jeff Green with better defense and leadership qualities?  So like... 17-19 points and 5-7 rebounds, but with big time intangibles?  Is that the dream there?   He's played really well.  I hope he keeps it up.

Kevin Love can drop 25 and 12 a night pretty easily as the focal point of an offense.  He'd be an amazing fit here.  True all-star talent.   We'd have to pair him with a really good defensive big, but when we talk about finding a real star for this team... that's what Kevin Love is. 

I just want to make sure we're not overreacting to Jae Crowder.   In the past week he put up 7 points, 2 rebounds on 30% shooting on 1/22.  He put up 11 points, 5 rebounds with 41% shooting on 1/25.  He put up 13 points, 4 rebounds with 30% shooting on 1/27.  He's done a lot of great things defensively.   I hope the past week isn't a sign that he's tapering off offensively already.  At worst, long term he ends up a heck of a role player.  But what's his worst case?... peaking out as James Posey?  Right around the same age Posey had his peak season averaging 13.7 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.7 steals, 0.5 blocks with 48%/39%/83% shooting in 29.9mpg ... that's almost identical to what Crowder is putting up this season (14.4 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.8 steals, 45%/36%/83% shooting in 32.4mpg).   I loved Posey too, but he spent the bulk of his career as a quality back-up giving you 22-27 minutes per night with strong defense and decent shooting (career averages of 8.6 points, 4.7 rebounds with 35% shooting from three in 27mpg)  ...  And let me just get this out of the way... I don't think it's fair to brush off the possibility that Crowder is the next James Posey as "classic LarBrd33 pessimism"...  I think it's a distinct possibility you need to take into consideration.

So best-case, we're talking rich man's Jeff Green?  And worst-case, we're talking the second coming of James Posey?  I'd probably trade either of those for a legit star like Kevin Love.   Though I must admit, a locked-in rich man's Jeff Green with all-defense ability is probably an all-star.   If you guys genuinely think that's what Crowder will become, then I can totally understand why he'd be off limits.  I just don't think it's possible to speak in certainties about Crowder's future based on what he's done over the past two months.  2 months is 2 months.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:58:52 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I reckon it is because he carries himself in a way that resonates as the Celtics way of doing things.  Sure he may not bring the raw productivity of Kevin Love, and he can slump from time to time, but on my part he is too much an integral part of what is holding our defense together (his use value) to risk selling for a guy with Kevin Love's known defensive issues.

In short what we lose on defense selling Crowder might be more than what we get back on offense from Love. That's just me though

On a personal level I might be tempted by a Crowder for Ibaka deal
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 04:30:48 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You have to take this deal. A non-Brooklyn pick mind. It's a no brainer. Having Kevin Love on a team brings you a step closer to getting that superstar like Durant to come to you. He isn't coming for Crowder. Ultimately that is the goal for us, to attract talent to us as we did in 07.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:46:54 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Up until now i've being against trading Crowder because not only would our defense take a hit, the guy embodies everything it takes to be a Celtic.  Everyone like to praise IT for the franchize turn around after Rondo was traded, which he did in his own right, but it was Crowder who really set things in motion.  Crowder is one guy i feel would be great if he retired a Celtics. 

With that said, i now feel like it would be crazy not to make this deal for Love (no pun intended).  And we still have Brooklyn's pick at that, are you crazy?  You pull that plunge every single time!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:27:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
What do people honestly expect Crowder to do here long-term?  He's played really well.  Do people envision him peaking out as Jeff Green with better defense and leadership qualities?  So like... 17-19 points and 5-7 rebounds, but with big time intangibles?  Is that the dream there?   He's played really well.  I hope he keeps it up.

Kevin Love can drop 25 and 12 a night pretty easily as the focal point of an offense.  He'd be an amazing fit here.  True all-star talent.   We'd have to pair him with a really good defensive big, but when we talk about finding a real star for this team... that's what Kevin Love is. 

I just want to make sure we're not overreacting to Jae Crowder.   In the past week he put up 7 points, 2 rebounds on 30% shooting on 1/22.  He put up 11 points, 5 rebounds with 41% shooting on 1/25.  He put up 13 points, 4 rebounds with 30% shooting on 1/27.  He's done a lot of great things defensively.   I hope the past week isn't a sign that he's tapering off offensively already.  At worst, long term he ends up a heck of a role player.  But what's his worst case?... peaking out as James Posey?  Right around the same age Posey had his peak season averaging 13.7 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.7 steals, 0.5 blocks with 48%/39%/83% shooting in 29.9mpg ... that's almost identical to what Crowder is putting up this season (14.4 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.8 steals, 45%/36%/83% shooting in 32.4mpg).   I loved Posey too, but he spent the bulk of his career as a quality back-up giving you 22-27 minutes per night with strong defense and decent shooting (career averages of 8.6 points, 4.7 rebounds with 35% shooting from three in 27mpg)  ...  And let me just get this out of the way... I don't think it's fair to brush off the possibility that Crowder is the next James Posey as "classic LarBrd33 pessimism"...  I think it's a distinct possibility you need to take into consideration.

So best-case, we're talking rich man's Jeff Green?  And worst-case, we're talking the second coming of James Posey?  I'd probably trade either of those for a legit star like Kevin Love.   Though I must admit, a locked-in rich man's Jeff Green with all-defense ability is probably an all-star.   If you guys genuinely think that's what Crowder will become, then I can totally understand why he'd be off limits.  I just don't think it's possible to speak in certainties about Crowder's future based on what he's done over the past two months.  2 months is 2 months.
great post, but even if Crowder is a locked in Jeff Green, I still don't see how you don't trade that and a pick that right now is in the 20's for Kevin Love. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 06:51:20 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
for me it's not so much that i'm unwilling to trade crowder. it's the fact that the point is to add to the good players that we do have. and crowder is one those good players.

I admit he is nothing more than a role player though and between Smart, Bradley and Crowder they are all somewhat redundant.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:10:34 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
for me it's not so much that i'm unwilling to trade crowder. it's the fact that the point is to add to the good players that we do have. and crowder is one those good players.

I admit he is nothing more than a role player though and between Smart, Bradley and Crowder they are all somewhat redundant.
You have to give something up to get something good though. We aren't getting Love or Cousins for free.

I do think that we can replace some production lost in a trade with our depth. Guys like Zeller and Jerebko can fill a bigger role as well as Turner. It's a little early for the rookies but next year I'd expect at least one of them to turn into a rotation player as well. Also I'm certain that if Danny makes one move he makes two or three

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 07:27:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think if you could land another SF like say a DeRozan or Hayward in another deal, then this deal is good one.     Crowder does add a lot of intangibles, I hate Love's defense, but he adds more tangible production and is a borderline star, who might be able to attract more.  But doing one deal is hard enough, let alone too.

I would hate to see Crowder go, but Love would be a big upgrade at the four.  Sully can board but Love can shoot and spread the floor.   Love is a dicey defender, Sully has been in the past, if CBS could make a similar improvement in Love then it would be huge.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:32:34 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
My brain says yes but my heart screams hell noo!!

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
On paper, when you look at it, sure. But I don't think that deal happens because it doesn't make sense. He's like the SF the C''s have and it adds to the glut of PF''s on the roster. Also, people underrated the leadership contribution of Crowder. People were passed when Perkins was traded because it got rid of that heart and grit etc. This could have a similar impact on the psyche of the team.

I'd give them Lee, Sully, etc for Love. The point is to add to this roster, not take away a key part of it.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 08:04:53 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I wonder how much of Crowder's rise can be credited to the environment and the system created by Stevens and his staff.

I mean, everyone initially thought that the Celtics got screwed over with the Rondo trade. Crowder has, however, turned out to be a real gem. The same can - to a lesser extent - be said for Evan Turner and Jordan Crawford. Before they arrived on the Celtics, no one would touch them. Further still, Isaiah was good before his arrival here but he was never the All-Star he is now, either.

If anything of this can be attributed to coach Stevens, can you imagine what he would do for/with a guy like Kevin Love?

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 08:34:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nope.

Ko is doing a nice love replication job anyways + better defense

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I'm 100% with you.

Jae Crowder is never going to be an All Star.
Kevin Love can be a starting All Star in Boston.

Easy trade for me.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yes you would have to do that deal. It would be a shame because I think they would compliment each other very well. But if that was the asking price you do it.