Author Topic: Hayward for IT4.  (Read 3439 times)

Re: Hayward for IT4.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
good proposal; and you have a point about IT -- he isn't in many trade ideas at all around here...
There's a reason for that -- he's a good value contract. Good front offices don't trade value contracts in lateral moves.

In this particular case, this is clearly a lateral move -- talent is, at best, equal, and we have a firmly entrenched starter at the SF position.

You seem to be really caught up on traditional positions when clearly Stevens isn't. That said, a 1-4 of Crowder, Hayward, Smart, and Bradley offers a lot more versatility on the defensive end and allows constant switching, which we can't do much of with Thomas for fear of teams taking advantage of him on those said switches.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
Or Utah could keep Hayward, and wait for Exum to recover from his injury.

I wonder how confident they are in Exum in his abilities. I know he's still young, but he's shown next to nothing so far.

Probably because he's missed an entire season to injury.

I'm obviously talking about when he does play (last year) he didn't seem to show that much. Now he has injury concerns. Like I said, he's still young though. I just wonder how confident Utah is for his future.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 12:03:30 PM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
good proposal; and you have a point about IT -- he isn't in many trade ideas at all around here...
There's a reason for that -- he's a good value contract. Good front offices don't trade value contracts in lateral moves.

In this particular case, this is clearly a lateral move -- talent is, at best, equal, and we have a firmly entrenched starter at the SF position.

You seem to be really caught up on traditional positions when clearly Stevens isn't. That said, a 1-4 of Crowder, Hayward, Smart, and Bradley offers a lot more versatility on the defensive end and allows constant switching, which we can't do much of with Thomas for fear of teams taking advantage of him on those said switches.

good point. TP

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am indifferent at best on Hayward.  I am fine to consider trading IT for the right deal but this does not seem to me to be it.  I like Crowder fine at SF at his contract.  If we bring in a SF, it needs should be a much better player than Hayward.  Otherwise, just keep Crowder as the primary SF.

And several people have implied that if we get Hayward, we could play Crowder at PF, at least for a "small ball" line-up.  I don't see that at all

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Or Utah could keep Hayward, and wait for Exum to recover from his injury.

I wonder how confident they are in Exum in his abilities. I know he's still young, but he's shown next to nothing so far.

Probably because he's missed an entire season to injury.

I'm obviously talking about when he does play (last year) he didn't seem to show that much. Now he has injury concerns. Like I said, he's still young though. I just wonder how confident Utah is for his future.

It was his rookie year! Huge adjustment period for a 19-year-old kid who's from another country.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
And several people have implied that if we get Hayward, we could play Crowder at PF, at least for a "small ball" line-up.  I don't see that at all

Why not? Since we've acquired Crowder some of our greatest success has been with Crowder at the 4. This creates a faster tempo ("pace and space") and Crowder has the physical ability to hold his own against most 4's inside.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I like this idea.  What about Thomas and Lee for Hayward, Booker,and a pick swap?  That works in the trade machine.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't think Utah would do it

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd happily trade IT for Hayward (I also agree that Utah wouldn't do it).

Hayward is a more well rounded player, could probably fit into a significant role on pretty much any sort of team, and while he's only a year or so younger than IT, he will probably be able to play at a high level much longer.

Trading IT at some point before his contract is up will most likely make a lot of sense, provided the trade is for a high quality piece that could be here a while.  The Celts probably won't be in a position to contend before IT's next contract, and his next contract will probably last beyond the point that he's an above average player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Pass.

I want Hayward but I'm not giving up IT or Smart for him and I think that's all they'd want outside of picks (wouldn't do either).

Maybe trade Lee, AB, Sully, 1st
for
Hayward, Burks, Withey.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Why not? Since we've acquired Crowder some of our greatest success has been with Crowder at the 4. This creates a faster tempo ("pace and space") and Crowder has the physical ability to hold his own against most 4's inside.

I just don't see it.  Crowder is barely 6'-6" according to Draft Express measurements and plays the best away from the basket.  If he is on the court with Hayward, I don't think there is enough rebounding on the floor or overall size.  It can work for stretches but I don't think you can rely on it as a part of your base rotation, at least not if it is Hayward who you are making room for.  Hayward isn't going to give you enough to be a trade off for playing Crowder out of position.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why couldn't we just play Crowder and Hayward together on the wing?  They can each cover multiple positions in a pinch.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 12:38:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I just don't see it.  Crowder is barely 6'-6" according to Draft Express measurements and plays the best away from the basket.  If he is on the court with Hayward, I don't think there is enough rebounding on the floor or overall size.  It can work for stretches but I don't think you can rely on it as a part of your base rotation, at least not if it is Hayward who you are making room for.  Hayward isn't going to give you enough to be a trade off for playing Crowder out of position.

But it's happened and continues to happen. Crowder has played effectively at the 4.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think Utah would do it

It4, Sullinger, young, Lee, 2 1st(non lotto) for Hayward and exum