Poll

What should I do?

Forget morals, pick up lebron!
0 (0%)
Be kind and give him back Lebron.
6 (100%)
Do nothing, let the next person on waivers decide to pick him up or not.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Fantasy basketball moral question?  (Read 1475 times)

Fantasy basketball moral question?
« on: January 26, 2016, 01:40:12 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
So I'm the league manager in one of my ESPN basketball leagues, and one of the guys dropped Lebron accidentally when picking up someone off waivers. The rule that prevents you from dropping your top 3 picks is turned off for this league. Now, I'm first on waiver order (I didn't change the order or anything, patiently waited my turn and here I am).

I'm seriously considering picking up Lebron, with the basis that any dropped player is fair game and that the previous owner should just suck it up and move on. However, as manager, I do have the power to give Lebron back to the guy who dropped him. This would be morally the correct thing to do, but as stated above, any dropped player is fair game. What do you guys recommend that I do?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Fantasy basketball moral question?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:46:12 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would make him lose his waiver priority as punishment, winning on something like that would be pretty tainted

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 01:55:52 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It happens give back LeBron and make him drop the right guy. No punishment needed could be honest mistake. Especially when doing so much fantasy stuff on phones now a days.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 02:40:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Just give the person back Lebron and carry on. Why create drama is what is suppose to be a fun league with friends? Put out a warning to the league that this is the first and last mulligan on something like this.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 03:14:59 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Depends on the league you're playing in but my first reaction would be to give him back Lebron. Sounds like an honest mistake. Unless there's collusion going on.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've commissioned a lot of leagues, and I've always taken the position that good faith mistakes are reversable.  This happens quite a bit when somebody accidentally accepts a trade.  If they contact the Commish immediately, or if in the notes submitted with the trade they clearly meant to reject it, I've always reversed the deal.

If you feel punishment is warranted, bar him from picking up the player he wanted or something of that nature.  I don't even feel that is necessary, though.  Stuff happens.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:19:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree with others - as you stated, in most leagues the option to drop an amazing player isn't even an option (I assume you guys did that in case somebody wasn't performing well or was injured, but the powers that be usually update those players to 'droppable' anyway).

No reason to ruin somebody's league and make a situation out of it; I guess there's always the possibility that he now hates Lebron because of the Blatt situation (doubtful) so you should probably check in, regardless.