Author Topic: My FA Interests  (Read 3290 times)

My FA Interests
« on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Swings
Durant - This is obvious. With him we are a contender. Enough said.

Barnes - I'm not convinced that Barnes can be a lead scorer. I like his efficiency. I like his versatility. I like that he has been on a championship team. I just don't think the Warriors are going to let him go for less than the max, and I'm not sure he is worth 20 million a year.

Wings
Batum - Batum would fit perfectly into the Celtics system and culture. He is like a better-shooting Evan Turner. He can play the point and play good defense. I don't think he ends up staying in Charlotte, but there are a lot of teams who would offer him the max this off-season (Brooklyn being one). I'd give him the max before I would give Barnes the max.

Bigs
Leonard - Meyers Leonard is a goofy player, but he has legit center size. His advanced stat adjusted rebounding percentage is top 10 among centers. He is also one of the best mid-range and three point shooters in the NBA for a big man. His inside defense has fallen off a bit this year and RPM is pretty bad this year too. But if we could get him for a 6-8 million contract, I think he could be a really good fit and give us cheap, skilled size inside. He is a RFA, so we would probably have to work some sign-and-trade.

Ezeli - He doesn't really fit our system, but his inside defense has been off the charts this year, which is something we need. Again, he is a RFA and the heir-apparent to Bogut, so I don't think he is gettable.

Motiejunas - I'm nervous when a young big guy has ongoing back problems. I'm not sure how durable he will be, but he is a big body with good skill and good inside defense. With Capella being Dwight Howard's replacement, it seems like Motiejunas could be had. He is another RFA, so a sign-and-trade may be necessary.

Guards
Tyler Johnson - Johnson reminds me so much of Dragic it's scary, but I think he is more athletic. I think he will continue to develop and turn into a starter in a few years. I would want to sign Johnson on the condition that we already made a 3 for 1 deal to thin out our roster, especially if we trade Bradley away. Again, Johnson is another RFA, but depending on how everything works out, Miami might not want to resign Johnson too.

Re: My FA Interests
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I don't like Johnson, his haircut is stupid.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »

• Paul Silas

Olynyk? Smart? Sullinger?

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:53:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Motiejunas is very intriguing. I think he'd be a terrific addition if his health checks out.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If we're going after a Rockets RFA, I'd much rather target Terrence Jones.

I don't really trust either Motiejunas or Jones to stay healthy long term, though.

Batum is another intriguing option who can't seem to stay healthy for a whole season anymore.  He'd be a fantastic fit here if he could stay healthy.

I worry about Ainge "buying low" on Eric Gordon, giving him a big money one-and-one deal like he gave Jerebko and Amir, and proclaiming it an attempt to "find the kind of scorer we need."

Lance Thomas and Chase Budinger will both be UFAs this off-season.  They're only 27 and could help the Celts in areas of weakness.  But their own teams will probably be willing to spend to keep them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »

• Paul Silas
If we're going after a Rockets RFA, I'd much rather target Terrence Jones.

I don't really trust either Motiejunas or Jones to stay healthy long term, though.

Batum is another intriguing option who can't seem to stay healthy for a whole season anymore.  He'd be a fantastic fit here if he could stay healthy.

I worry about Ainge "buying low" on Eric Gordon, giving him a big money one-and-one deal like he gave Jerebko and Amir, and proclaiming it an attempt to "find the kind of scorer we need."

Lance Thomas and Chase Budinger will both be UFAs this off-season.  They're only 27 and could help the Celts in areas of weakness.  But their own teams will probably be willing to spend to keep them.

I'd don't really like Jones that much.

Each of these guys have questions. That is largely why they are available. Many of them are injury questions. I don't like to risk too much. That is why I didn't include Gordon. I like his game. I actually wouldn't mind a 1+1 contract with Gordon IF we traded Turner and Bradley. He would be a better offensive player than them.

Thomas and Budinger aren't bad options, but they aren't good ones either. I'd rather keep Jerebko than have either of them.

PhoSita, does your name mean light in greek?

Second question, what do you think of Leonard? Do you see any potential in him?

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If Amir and Jerebko's options arent picked up, Danny is looking at $35 mil in contracts coming back and the salary cap is $70 mil this year. Maybe up to $75 mil next year.

If he could add two major pieces to the core 5 guys coming back (Olynyk, Smart, Crowder, IT, Bradley) and keep all 4 really young guys to develop, I would be ecstatic.

To me, Horford and Batum fit the team really well. The max contract that each could sign is around $20 mil, but it would be imperative to get them in the $17 mil per year range. That gives you $65 mil in contracts for 11 players.

There would be $6 mil or so left to pay rookies. Im assuming Turner or Zeller (or another lower tier free agent?) could be added back to the team using a salary cap exception?

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If Amir and Jerebko's options arent picked up, Danny is looking at $35 mil in contracts coming back and the salary cap is $70 mil this year. Maybe up to $75 mil next year.

If he could add two major pieces to the core 5 guys coming back (Olynyk, Smart, Crowder, IT, Bradley) and keep all 4 really young guys to develop, I would be ecstatic.

To me, Horford and Batum fit the team really well. The max contract that each could sign is around $20 mil, but it would be imperative to get them in the $17 mil per year range. That gives you $65 mil in contracts for 11 players.

There would be $6 mil or so left to pay rookies. Im assuming Turner or Zeller (or another lower tier free agent?) could be added back to the team using a salary cap exception?

Cap will be approximately 90m next season.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Olynyks beard is an issue. Smarts and Sully's cone things are fine with me

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »

• Paul Silas

Olynyks beard is an issue. Smarts and Sully's cone things are fine with me

Fair enough.

Wait. Olynyk's hair is ok with you?

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:02 PM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'm surprised there's no mention of horford for free agent interest.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:49:13 PM »

• Paul Silas
I'm surprised there's no mention of horford for free agent interest.

I'm mildly interested, but he is not included for several reasons.

I don't think he is really leaving Atlanta.

Also, I tried to keep the guys to players who are a similar age to our core. He will be 30 at the start of next season.

Oh, and I think he is good, but not max-player good (25 million a year for 4 years), which is most certainly what he will demand.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:32 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
No interest in Horford? He's getting old, but he'd be a perfect fit and I think his game will age pretty well.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 10:14:39 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Thoughts on Chandler Parsons? He has a player option.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »

• Paul Silas
Thoughts on Chandler Parsons? He has a player option.

I really like his fit in our scheme, but I didn't figure he would turn down his 15 million dollar option. A longer deal will still be on the table next year, but he will never make 15 million a year again.

He is in the "swing" mold. Although he is not a great defender, his offense, passing, and IQ would be a really good fit.