Author Topic: Fansided (SI) - Miami/Boston proposed trade  (Read 3769 times)

Fansided (SI) - Miami/Boston proposed trade
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Fansided (by SI) did a piece on the Heat and 5 trades they could make to get better.  One of those trades was Whiteside, McRoberts, and Anderson or Udrih (for salary filler) for Bradley, Sullinger, and the Dallas 1st.

http://fansided.com/2016/01/21/nba-trade-rumors-5-trades-miami-heat-need-make/5/

A multi-player Boston Celtics deal

Yes, this is one of the long shots. Although, it may not be totally out the realm of possibility. The Heat may want to bring in a few young pieces for the future and look elsewhere at center going forward, while the Celtics want to trade quantity for quality, and they’re in the perfect position to do so.

In exchange for Whiteside, the Celtics would send over Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger and a 2016 first round draft pick.

Again, this trade is a possibility to deal with Whiteside if the Heat think he’s going to leave this summer. Rather than looking for a new option at center, the Heat can instead bring in additional depth, a talented wing player and a high draft pick for the future.

In Bradley, the Heat land one of the best young perimeter defenders in the NBA with an improved offensive game. He can play off-ball with his catch and shoot ability and 35.7 percent three-point stroke, while having the ability to create off the dribble at times, too. He’s a 42.3 percent shooter from 16 feet out for his career, and the Heat could benefit from some perimeter shooting.

As for Sullinger, it goes without saying he obviously isn’t the Heat’s replacement for Whiteside at center. That being said, he has an intriguing skill set for his size, with a solid jump shot, good passing, and impressive rebounding rate (13 rebounds per 36 minutes). Not to mention, he’s a nice asset to play alongside Bosh with the way the two could space the floor.

Considering Whiteside’s likelihood to become a max-player, though, even more so with the rise in salary cap, the Celtics are going to need to up the ante. By including one of their three 2016 first round draft picks, they give the Heat the enticing option to select a top rookie talent to add some youth into the mix. The Celtics’ first round pick from the Dallas Mavericks (protected 1-7) would be ideal, or their first round pick from the Brooklyn Nets if they’re really keen.

For cap purposes, the Heat can’t send the Celtics Whiteside alone, due to his cheap-as-chips salary of $981,000. To complete the trade for salary cap purposes, Miami could include Josh McRoberts and another role player, perhaps Chris Andersen or Beno Udrih.

After all, Wade and Bosh can only lead the team for so long as they approach their mid thirties. A top rookie and a highly talented two-way player like Bradley can give the Heat a real burst of energy.

No, this trade isn’t ideal. However, it’s at least an idea to consider if the Heat want to guarantee they won’t lose Whiteside for nothing in free agency this summer and they can bring in a host of depth and a high draft pick in return. With the Celtics ready to finally make a franchise-changing move, they can land their new center of the future. And with Whiteside’s powerful presence inside, they’ll have the perfect complimentary piece to their 2nd ranked defense that excels at the perimeter.

I think this would be a pretty intriguing trade for the Celtics, assuming they felt Whiteside was worth a max contract and would re-sign in Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Fansided (SI) - Miami/Boston proposed trade
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:29:04 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Bradley AND a pick for a UFA? really?

Great words from a great man

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I want none of Whiteside.

Any concerns people had about Cousins would be 1000x worse with Whiteside. I would give him about 10 games as a Celtic before Marcus and/or Jae just ends up fighting him for not rotating on defense.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's a lot to give up for a guy they could just sign this summer.

Also, I'm just not sure it makes sense to invest a lot in a guy who almost never gets assists and has no range at all.

Whiteside has major Mark Blount potential.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If we are loosing Sully and AB for Whiteside, Winslow better be involved too. I'd even throw in Young to boot.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:10:59 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
way too much for a whiteside rental.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Overpay for a soon to be free agent

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 05:49:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
How much of an overpay is it really?  Sully is likely gone, the Dallas 1st will be in the 20's and is pretty much just another pick Boston doesn't need, and Bradley while a nice player on a nice contract, is nothing special and moving him opens up time for the younger guys (who actually need the time).  OTH, Whiteside solves a lot of Boston's problems.  If the goal is to go hard for the playoffs, then adding him is a huge positive step in that direction.  And sure he can leave, but if he likes it here, Boston can still offer him more money and more years than anywhere else.  It may just be a rental, but are Sullinger, Bradley, and the player selected with the Dallas pick likely to be key components of the next Boston title team?  I don't think so, so for me it is worth the gamble.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
How much of an overpay is it really?  Sully is likely gone, the Dallas 1st will be in the 20's and is pretty much just another pick Boston doesn't need, and Bradley while a nice player on a nice contract, is nothing special and moving him opens up time for the younger guys (who actually need the time).  OTH, Whiteside solves a lot of Boston's problems.  If the goal is to go hard for the playoffs, then adding him is a huge positive step in that direction.  And sure he can leave, but if he likes it here, Boston can still offer him more money and more years than anywhere else.  It may just be a rental, but are Sullinger, Bradley, and the player selected with the Dallas pick likely to be key components of the next Boston title team?  I don't think so, so for me it is worth the gamble.

If people thought Bradley was frustrating for never passing the ball, Whiteside would severely cripple our fan base lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 06:10:41 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It's a lot to give up for a guy they could just sign this summer.

Also, I'm just not sure it makes sense to invest a lot in a guy who almost never gets assists and has no range at all.

Whiteside has major Mark Blount potential.

That just sent a shiver down my spine...brrrrrrrr!

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 06:19:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
OTH, Whiteside solves a lot of Boston's problems.  If the goal is to go hard for the playoffs, then adding him is a huge positive step in that direction.  And sure he can leave, but if he likes it here, Boston can still offer him more money and more years than anywhere else

The part in bold is actually not completely true.  Miami, nor any team that trades for Whiteside, will have full Bird Right's, only Early Bird Right's.

What this means is the team holding his Early Bird Right's can offer no more than 175% of his previous salary, or an amount up to the max salary for a player of his tenure equal to whatever cap space the team has.  The only advantage this provides is the ability to offer 7.5% raises versus 4.5% raises (a total of 18% of the 1st year salary, spread over the final 3 years of a 4 year contract - roughly $4 mil).  No team will be able to offer Whiteside a 5 year contract, nor can any team offer him a max contract without cap space.

It's a fairly significant factor in limiting Whiteside's trade value, and thus why it is risky to trade for him.  There's very little advantage in trading for him, other than hopefully being able to get him to buy into the team's vision and culture prior to hitting the market.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:49:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
some unsupported assumptions here

no reason to suspect Sully will be gone.  Also, Dallas pick right now is about 20 and that's with Memphis and Houston right behind them.  not to mention other Eastern teams that have narrowed the gap with them

a lot to give up for a Whiteside rental when the guy still has question marks about his dedication to the team.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If people thought Bradley was frustrating for never passing the ball, Whiteside would severely cripple our fan base lol.
Whiteside is a center shooting 61.3% from the floor.  Unless he is passing to a guy like Steph Curry, him shooting is the best option for the team.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
1) For anyone who thinks Whiteside would leave the first organization that believed in him, his teammates, & DJ Khaled in Miami to come here as a free agent needs a reality check. The ONLY way he comes here is via trade!

2) For those of you who are saying we're giving up too much...you also need a reality check! Bradley's defense is the best part of his game. His offense can be replaced in the near future. Whiteside will replace Sully's rebounding. The trade would consolidate our roster. Whiteside would complete our defense by adding rim protection.. IT4, Smart, Crowder, Olynyk, Whiteside would be a good starting lineup.

3) For those who mention Whiteside's past and use it as your main concern to not make this trade--I'm sure you're in the same boat with the people who just love to hate Cousins...and as soon as you realize that your boat has a hole in it, maybe the rest of us will still be nice enough to welcome you to ours!

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
1) For anyone who thinks Whiteside would leave the first organization that believed in him, his teammates, & DJ Khaled in Miami to come here as a free agent needs a reality check. The ONLY way he comes here is via trade!

If he loves Miami so much, why wouldn't he just sign back there in July?