Author Topic: Trade Idea - Free Mickey!  (Read 609 times)

Trade Idea - Free Mickey!
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Hi CB,

Long time reader, first time poster, with a trade idea to add some depth at the SF position and free up playing time for Jordan Mickey.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hfawrhv

Celtics trade Sully and Zeller to Washington for Dudley.

For the Celtics this would add another SF to the roster, and help with our 3pt shooting.  Dudley is in the final year of a contract, but has spoken very highly of Stevens and may be willing to resign.  If Dudley did stick around he would probably cost a lot less than Sully and/or Zeller (who doesn't appear to have much of a role with this team).

For Washington this would give them depth in the frontcourt that they need, and open up playing time for their two young SF's Porter and Oubre.

Losing Sully would hurt, especially on the boards, but it would give Mickey an opportunity to get some playing time with the team.  Sully may be expensive to keep around after the season.

Thoughts?

Re: Trade Idea - Free Mickey!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think it's too much to give up for Dudley.  He's not the player he once was and has had some nagging injuries.  And he's a UFA in the offseason.  He fulfills a role for us but a backup SF who makes threes isn't worth Sully + Zeller in my opinion.

With Lee in the doghouse and likely departing soon, losing Sully and Zeller would move us from a glut of bigs to having to scratch by with Amir/Kelly/Mickey.  Even if we got a backup big like DeJuan Blair thrown in, I still pass.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
TP for first post

I have been following Dudley for awhile and like how he would fit with what Brad wants to do.

Another option would be to do nothing now, and just try to sign UFA Dudley this summer, and not sign Sully or Zeller (or whatever with Zeller and use Sully in some other trade).

In general I like where you are going with this.  I don't think we need to hit home runs all the time.  Singles and doubles are OK too.  Just keep getting high character guys who fit Brad's system.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I think it's too much to give up for Dudley.  He's not the player he once was and has had some nagging injuries.  And he's a UFA in the offseason.  He fulfills a role for us but a backup SF who makes threes isn't worth Sully + Zeller in my opinion.

With Lee in the doghouse and likely departing soon, losing Sully and Zeller would move us from a glut of bigs to having to scratch by with Amir/Kelly/Mickey.  Even if we got a backup big like DeJuan Blair thrown in, I still pass.

Don't forget Jerebko.  Crowder can play small ball 4, so we would still have four guys with Crowder as a fifth in small ball lineups.