Author Topic: Bring Melo to Boston  (Read 3361 times)

Bring Melo to Boston
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I know Carmelo Anthony elicits strong emotions from people. Let's try to put those aside and consider:

BOS sends expirings, young talent, picks:

Evan Turner
David Lee
Tyler Zeller (or Sully, if they want him)
James Young (or Terry Rozier)
BOS 2016 1st, DAL 2016 1st, potentially BKN 2018 1st (2nd rounders as needed)

NYK send Carmelo Anthony

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gvc2eqx

Why New York does it:
They get Melo off the books starting next season, as Lee, Zeller and Turner are expiring deals they can choose to keep or not. That gives them more flexibility to nab a star next summer, plus their picks give them a better chance to rebuild. Their future looks better after this and, honestly, they weren't making the playoffs this year anyway.

Why Boston does it:
Consolidate frontcourt, add a proven superstar who is talented enough (and old enough now) to slide into a system. This I believe. Melo always brought it to the Olympics and his game ages well - think Paul Pierce. He makes us a sexier destination and we keep our 2016 BKN 1st. This season we become a legit playoff contender for the ECF at best, and at worst we become a tough out. Our future is intact.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Re: Bring Melo to Boston
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I'll never understand the fascination with Melo and Myles Turner on this board.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
NY isnt trading Melo and Melo doesn't want to be traded.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:22 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Knicks don't have a draft pick in 2016, I don't believe. Their assets beyond Zinger and Melo are limited at best. They built this team to be competitive in the east this year (Lopez, Afflalo) and it hasn't really worked. They're mediocre now and they project not to improve unless Zinger can leap next year AND make everyone around him better. This way they at least create a path for improvement.

That said, I don't see why it's a bad deal for Boston even if we part with several first-rounders and 1 or 2 of our young guys. It's widely acknowledged that we don't have the go-to scorer we need - IT doesn't count and isn't clutch - plus a versatile offensive player who can create mismatches on that end. Yet time and time again people say Melo is some poisonous jerk who doesn't win. So was Pierce, so was Kobe without Shaq. I just don't buy it.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
If the Knicks were to trade Melo to the Celtics (which I highly doubt the ever would), Marcus Smart and/or Brooklyn's 2016 pick would have to be included.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Why New York does it:
They get Melo off the books starting next season, as Lee, Zeller and Turner are expiring deals they can choose to keep or not. That gives them more flexibility to nab a star next summer, plus their picks give them a better chance to rebuild. Their future looks better after this and, honestly, they weren't making the playoffs this year anyway.

That's a tough sell to even casual basketball fans, much less the folks who follow the Knicks.  Trade Carmelo Anthony so that you can, 'go nab a star' ?  Seems counterintuitive... 

NYK might not have many options, but they do have two cornerstone players on their roster who are a direct cause to that franchise nearly doubling in value (Forbes claiming 3B).  They'll be content to shuffle in roll players and perfect the triangle, watch Porzingus & Melo develop.     

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
What "star" is going to a Melo-less Knicks team? Haven't we seen just this past summer that marquee free agents don't want to go to bad teams just because they're in big markets?

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The problem with Melo on the Knicks is that his window is rapidly closing and it's very unlikely that they can be a championship team within that window.  Here's the thing though: if we trade for him, we also aren't going to win a championship in that window.  We'll just have a guy who is making way too much money after his no trade clause kicks in. 

Melo and Porzingis are both better than anybody on our team right now and the rest of their team is serviceable, yet they have a worse record than us.  A lot of that is because Stevens >>>>>>>>>>>>> Fisher and it's not even as close as that looks, but another part is because Melo isn't LeBron, Steph Curry, Harden or even Paul George.  He's gotten old and is a second-to-third tier star now.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
if i had two vetos in deciding what superstar player is to come to boston, it would be Melo and DMC
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I wish, but Melo's not getting traded. The fact that he has so much control in the situation makes it nearly impossible to move him, and I doubt NY wants to anyways. He's huge for KP's development, huge.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
yeah same as above. I would really like to get Melo. But NY must be thinking, hey the cap is going up an we are NYC so we have a good shot to bring in a star.

Also funny the guy said his 2 vetos would be melo and DMC. Those are the two semi realistic star options I want the most. This would be a championship team I think:

IT/Smart
AB
Crowder
Melo
DMC

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'll never understand the fascination with Melo and Myles Turner on this board.

Not sure why you're down on Myles Turner, everything is projecting for him being quite good, and he's balling this year.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am hoping for a deal but the sad reality is that Danny might not be able to get a good one.  There is a chance he makes a minor trade, I think the team needs one.   I do not see us trading for Melo though, because Phil Jackson hates us, Derek Fisher hates us, it would have to be a one sided deal for them to either consider which leads me to think that it does not happen.

I am hoping for a team to panic like OKC, with Harden and DA to land on that occasion but it may not happen.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The only way I'd ever want Melo here is if he came here in free agency for a waaaaaaaayyyyy below market deal. Way below. And that's it. Preferably I don't even want him in the New England area for an afternoon beer. His buddies are drug dealers and he's proud of it. The world would ultimately be better off without Melo.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Ha ha ......gonna put him in the Zoo....with Joe Johnson and Wallace ....old has been s...bring him here and watch him get injuried every other week ......walk the court ...lower the pace of the Celtics game ....yeah right ....great idea .  Can we count the ways this doesn't make any sense.....too many reason to fathom why bring Melo to Boston .  For a Celebrity lunchin .....

Let's leave him put , safe and sound in New York ......same for Howard .....the rest of the Over the Hill gang .   Or maybe he can sign a billion dollar contract in Brooklyn with that garbage owner and crowd. 

LOL.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:55:28 PM by SHAQATTACK »