Author Topic: Say OKC wins the title  (Read 3814 times)

Re: Say OKC wins the title
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
OKC winning the title would require epic performances from Durant and Westbrook, and would also likely require winning playoff series against, in succession, the Warriors and Spurs and then the Cavaliers.

That would have to be one of the most impressive playoff runs ever, unless some major injuries are involved in their favor.

A great playoff run does not make a great team, though.

The 2010 Celts had a nice playoff run despite falling short of a title.  I'd say they were far from a great team, though.  Even the 2008 team probably falls short of being a "great" team just because they struggled so much to beat some lesser playoff opponents (e.g. Hawks), and benefited from a Bynum injury and the Lakers still getting used to playing with Pau.

The 2009 Celtics was the team in the KG era with a shot at being All-Time Great, but sadly KG hurt his knee and that was basically it for the KG Celts as a top title contender (though the improbable dark horse run in 2012 will always have a place in my heart).

The improbable dark horse run year will always be emphasizing. Had to go into Atlanta and steal HCA. Had to take the 76ers to a 7-game series because of our depleted bench. Finally took the Lebron-led Heat to 7-game series. That year was truly the end of a great era.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

So it isn't like 60 win teams happen a lot and if that 60 win team ends up beating three 60 win teams on the way to a title, I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't put them in the all time great category.

It's happened over 60 times in the history of the NBA.  We're talking 70 years now.  It doesn't happen a lot but its not like its a complete rarity, either.  Like I mentioned above, 59-60 wins isn't even in the top 50 best regular season records of all time.

Greatest team talk should encompass both regular season & playoff run.   A great playoff run by a 59/60 win team does not necessarily put a team in the "one of the greatest teams ever" conversation.  This isn't rocket science.

What you're proposing would be one of the greatest, if not, greatest playoff runs of all-time in regards to playoff resume.  However, a rather pedestrian regular season would probably keep them from any serious "greatest teams of all-time" conversations.
A 60 win team with the greatest post-season in history (based on opponent win percentage) seems a bit more than something that happens all the time.  I mean even the first round opponent will probably be a +45 win team (right now Memphis is 6th and they are on pace for 45.7 wins).  So you go from 46 win Memphis to 70 win San Antonio to 74 win Golden State to 60 win Cleveland (those are based solely on current winning percentage over 82 games, I don't actually think San An and GS will both win 70 and wouldn't be surprised if neither did). 

The 85/86 Celtics faced teams with 30, 50, 57, and 51 wins in the playoffs.  Sure it won 67 games, but it didn't face any super teams in the playoffs.  Is the post-season run enough to make up the distance in the 7 regular season wins.  I think I would say it would put them in the conversation, especially if the Spurs and Warriors are both 70 win teams and the Cavs do hit 60.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 08:40:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
To beat those 3 teams in the playoffs, in a row, OKC would HAVE to play like one of the greatest teams of all time. And how a team plays is what matters. Or, at least, what should matter.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Injuries kept OKC from winning 60 games (at least in part, they were just 3-7 without Durant), but they still won 55 and have now beaten a 42 win team and a 67 win team in the playoffs.  They have a 73 win team awaiting them and a likely 57 win team in the Finals.  Wouldn't be quite as impressive if they do finish it out as it looked like it could have been when I started this thread, but would still be the greatest post-season run in NBA history if they win the title and face the Cavs in the Finals.  Also of note, they will have beaten 3 of the 5 prior champions and the main player of the other two teams if they do win the title.

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 06:35:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Thunder on the verge of having the best back to back series in playoff history.

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 07:49:49 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
They've finally been playing team defense. RW has been playing unselfish BB on games even before the playoffs. They've been sharing the ball.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

So it isn't like 60 win teams happen a lot and if that 60 win team ends up beating three 60 win teams on the way to a title, I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't put them in the all time great category.

It's happened over 60 times in the history of the NBA.  We're talking 70 years now.  It doesn't happen a lot but its not like its a complete rarity, either.  Like I mentioned above, 59-60 wins isn't even in the top 50 best regular season records of all time.

Greatest team talk should encompass both regular season & playoff run.   A great playoff run by a 59/60 win team does not necessarily put a team in the "one of the greatest teams ever" conversation.  This isn't rocket science.

What you're proposing would be one of the greatest, if not, greatest playoff runs of all-time in regards to playoff resume.  However, a rather pedestrian regular season would probably keep them from any serious "greatest teams of all-time" conversations.
A 60 win team with the greatest post-season in history (based on opponent win percentage) seems a bit more than something that happens all the time.  I mean even the first round opponent will probably be a +45 win team (right now Memphis is 6th and they are on pace for 45.7 wins).  So you go from 46 win Memphis to 70 win San Antonio to 74 win Golden State to 60 win Cleveland (those are based solely on current winning percentage over 82 games, I don't actually think San An and GS will both win 70 and wouldn't be surprised if neither did). 

The 85/86 Celtics faced teams with 30, 50, 57, and 51 wins in the playoffs.  Sure it won 67 games, but it didn't face any super teams in the playoffs.  Is the post-season run enough to make up the distance in the 7 regular season wins.  I think I would say it would put them in the conversation, especially if the Spurs and Warriors are both 70 win teams and the Cavs do hit 60.

Not that I needed any more fuel, but I really hated the Lakers for losing to the Rockets in '86 for this very reason. 

The Celts were men enough to face them in '85 and '87 when the Lakers had the better teams. Lakers wimped out.
Yup

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Honestly at this point if the Thunder DON'T win the title it'd be a huge disappointment. Durant and Westbrook losing to LeBron again after steamrolling their way to the Finals? woof