Author Topic: HOU / BOS / NOP / PHX trade idea  (Read 935 times)

HOU / BOS / NOP / PHX trade idea
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:45:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I've suggested this deal before as a response to different threads, but now that Corey Brewer is eligable to be dealt, thought I'd formalize the suggestion. I believe it continues to make sense for all parties involved, while also addressing 'where there's smoke there's fire' rumors for each of the opposing 3 teams.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zterr8q

BOS gets: Howard, Thornton

NOP gets: Sullinger, Tucker

PHX gets: Brewer, Young

HOU gets: Lee, Anderson, Morris, 2018 pick from the Cs (whichever is lowest of Cs and Nets, lottery protected)

The Celtics take a crack at Howard, the type of player who is easier to acquire via trade for them than via FA. They look to make a little noise in the playoffs, and increase their profile as a winning destination for potential FAs. They hope Howard finally feels at home as part of a team-oriented bunch like CBS' crew, and either opts in for 2016-17, or opts out and resigns at a value, long term price in order to convince a player like Batum to sign with the Cs, as well. Thornton adds a little instant offense off the bench at the 2-3.

Phoenix finally ships out Morris in exchange for Brewer as rumored. They're not able to pry away Jones from HOU, instead settling for Young, a wing prospect in need of PT. A decent net for a lame duck, troubled player (Morris) who is well below market value despite his manageable salary, and needs a change of scenery.

The Pels get Sullinger -- a player their blog have expressed interest in -- for Anderson, as well as a desperately needed wing on a friendly deal.

The Rockets acknowledge their not winning anything this year, and get a good overall package for FA to be Howard. They've wanted Morris. They get to sell Anderson on staying in HOU for he rest of the season -- a nice fit with Harden. They get a decent pick. Lee is filler, though there's also a chance he could mesh with the uptempo grouping of Harden, Anderson, and Morris, and become a value resign.

And like all my trade ideas..... The Cs then sign Johnny Wadd to a ROY deal with a non-guaranteed option for 2016-17.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:52:51 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: HOU / BOS / NOP / PHX trade idea
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The only real question that I have is:  Is Phoenix really getting enough? Brewer has been really brutal this year and he has two more years coming. Also, I don't know that Young has any real value anymore. Having said that, the other parts of this trade seem reasonable but I'm sure that you understand the difficulty of making a 4 team deal.

Re: HOU / BOS / NOP / PHX trade idea
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:12:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The only real question that I have is:  Is Phoenix really getting enough? Brewer has been really brutal this year and he has two more years coming. Also, I don't know that Young has any real value anymore. Having said that, the other parts of this trade seem reasonable but I'm sure that you understand the difficulty of making a 4 team deal.

I agree that the Phoenix portion is the least predictable. I expect RMcD is going to have a difficult time extracting value for Morris -- they've clearly struggled to find a deal for him. It's difficult to know how much they value Tucker, but I'd argue Brewer is a positive replacement, if a player with similar attributes.

Regardless, the Suns are a team who desperately need a shake up, and opposing GMs know this. It's going to be a tough trading season for PHX. That said, if be open to swapping a different player in for Young. Turner = fine. Zeller obviously works, if wanted. I'd likely not go as far as Hunter or Rozier.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)