Author Topic: Idea: Lee to POR for Alexander & 2019 MIN 2nd Rounder  (Read 6308 times)

Re: Idea: Lee to POR for Alexander & 2019 MIN 2nd Rounder
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Actually, wouldn't the most important thing the Celtics would get from this trade be a huge trade exception equal to Lee's outgoing salary?

For sure, and that can be traded through draft night. That aside, it'll probably get renounced in free-agency.

Though not a given.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Actually, wouldn't the most important thing the Celtics would get from this trade be a huge trade exception equal to Lee's outgoing salary?

They would, but they'd have to renounce it if they want to use their cap space this summer.

Sure. Could also be used on Draft Night. Or in a sign and trade during the offseason (instead of cap space).

But if trading Lee for a TE is the best Ainge can do, I'll be underwhelmed/disappointed.

Why would you be disappointed? We got Lee for Gerald Wallace.  You think we were going to get a pick and a TE for him?

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

They would, but they'd have to renounce it if they want to use their cap space this summer.

Sure. Could also be used on Draft Night. Or in a sign and trade during the offseason (instead of cap space).

But if trading Lee for a TE is the best Ainge can do, I'll be underwhelmed/disappointed.

Why would you be disappointed? We got Lee for Gerald Wallace.  You think we were going to get a pick and a TE for him?

Agreed. I've never really understood why people thought David Lee was going to be a key addition. It was a flyer pure and simple. Take what you can get for him and move on.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Agreed. I've never really understood why people thought David Lee was going to be a key addition. It was a flyer pure and simple. Take what you can get for him and move on.

I think the thought is that Lee is a big expiring so he can match a big salary coming in when attached to a couple of our young prospects. Say a Melo or another player on a team over the cap becomes available and the teams are looking at Rozier, Hunter, 1st rounders. Salaries aren't going to match so thats where Lee becomes important.

If we can't use him to land a big fish this is a great proposal. However, I wonder if the Blazers would go as far as giving a protected first as opposed to a 2nd if they are desperate to raise their cap number.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I think the thought is that Lee is a big expiring so he can match a big salary coming in when attached to a couple of our young prospects. Say a Melo or another player on a team over the cap becomes available and the teams are looking at Rozier, Hunter, 1st rounders. Salaries aren't going to match so thats where Lee becomes important.

If we can't use him to land a big fish this is a great proposal. However, I wonder if the Blazers would go as far as giving a protected first as opposed to a 2nd if they are desperate to raise their cap number.

Those are my thoughts. I want Lee's expiring to be the money that matches a big contract fish. I'll be a little disappointed if a trade doesn't materialize, and Ainge has to kick the can down the road to the next offseason.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Take a look at this article:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/1/14/10772416/portland-trail-blazers-trades-salary-cap

On the day of the deadline, Cs should send Lee to POR for one of their non-guaranteed players -- say, Alexander -- plus Minny's 2019 2nd Rounder.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gutnntf

Move saves the Blazers $8.5mil, saves the Cs $5mil, and nets the Cs another draft asset.

The Cs cut Alexander, then signed my binkie -- J Holmes.

Bottom line is a pick and Holmes for Lee.
TP for offering a reasonable deal for all parties which is rarity here.

Personally, I wouldn't rush to cut Alexander just to sign Holmes.  If I did cut Alexander it's with the intention of having that extra spot open if another deal comes along where I need to take in 1 more player than I'm sending out.

Give Johnny Wad a crack on a team friendly deal (non-guaranteed for 2016-17). You can always cut him later if a need materializes. Of course that won't be necessary, because he's gonna develop into a nice 3-and-D guy.
um, are you saying Johnny Wad has a good long stroke?

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I doubt you could get a first, and their draft pick situation is pretty grim.

This deal would happen on deadline day (reducing the amount POR had to pay Lee, which they'd want). So the Cs will know if his deal is needed or not. That said, the Cs will have tons of cap space after this deal -- they won't need to send out as much salary as they take back, which would make such a deal even more desirable for the opposing team shedding said large contract.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Those are my thoughts. I want Lee's expiring to be the money that matches a big contract fish. I'll be a little disappointed if a trade doesn't materialize, and Ainge has to kick the can down the road to the next offseason.

The immediate cap space the Cs would have would be MORE appealing to an opposing trade partner than Lee's expiring.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think it's more and more likely this deal happens....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Agreed, unless Portland finds some other use for their cap space.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Assuming Portland falls out of playoff contention in the next two weeks, I could see the Blazers sending Kaman to Boston for Lee (buyout). He's an impending free agent, and could use the rest of the regular season to audition for a next contract.

Portland, incredibly, is still in the hunt for an 8th seed, so it's quite possible Kaman stays put.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:48:57 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 06:01:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Assuming Portland falls out of playoff contention in the next two weeks, I could see the Blazers sending Kaman to Boston for Lee (buyout). He's an impending free agent, and could use the rest of the regular season to audition for a next contract.

Portland, incredibly, is still in the hunt for an 8th seed, so it's quite possible Kaman stays put.

I think the point is: the deal has virtually no basketball impact either way. simply a financial move....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 06:51:02 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If this would work with Lee, wouldn't it also work with Hibbert? I would've thought the Lakers would take another 2nd from him and Portland would rather like the idea of re-signing him in the summer.

Edit: Just read the Reddit thread from Dangercart and he says that it would put LA $5m below the floor. I still think that it's a legit suggestion for LA to trade Hibbert and then look to bring on a MLE type player to get them above. Or just suck up and pay the cash, in essence for the extra asset.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:59:49 AM by TheSundanceKid »

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

and didn't we take Wallace just for salary dump for nets?
to me use lee's contract for big contract player, that doesn't work whatever, would like Lee to go to a team that works for him and us as he's been a class act as his pt disapearred, even if he can play better than sully 8)

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Gonna post an aspirational variation to my OP here, which makes financial sense for the parties, but is slightly more complicated (but better for the Cs) from a pick perspective:

BOS gets: Chris Andersen; POR 1st protected for selections 1-10 in 2018 (conveyable if POR conveys a 1st round pick to Denver in 2016), 1-8 in 2019 (conveyable if POR has conveyed a 1st round pick to Denver by 2017) and 1-6 in 2020; Heat 2023 1st.

POR gets: David Lee; Jarnell Stokes; 2016 Heat 2nd (from Cs); 2018 Heat 2nd

MIA gets: Cleveland 2016 2nd (from BOS).

Portland saves $8mil, Miami gets out of the Repeater Tax, Boston punts unneeded 2nds this year for future picks.

I'd just cut Andersen, btw.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:29:31 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)