Author Topic: Been blocked on one particular device, can someone explain why  (Read 9295 times)

Re: Been blocked on one particular device, can someone explain why
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As it's a mobile device, I'm guessing you tried to log into the forums while on a public network.  Chances are some IP addresses had been banned on that public network due to some other user posting on it. 

If you're only having this issue on one device, I'd suggest trying to empty the cache / data for your browsing app on that device.  That may get rid of whatever cookie type thing is reminding the site to keep that device banned because you logged in from a banned IP at one point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 03:33:21 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
As it's a mobile device, I'm guessing you tried to log into the forums while on a public network.  Chances are some IP addresses had been banned on that public network due to some other user posting on it. 

If you're only having this issue on one device, I'd suggest trying to empty the cache / data for your browsing app on that device.  That may get rid of whatever cookie type thing is reminding the site to keep that device banned because you logged in from a banned IP at one point.
As of now, I am on vacation in Orlando, seemingly stranded here by storm Jonas. Only network being used by the phone is the cell network; I doubt a whole local network IP in this area has been banned tho, but is still a possibility. Would have to check if I'm un-banned when I get back home to Jersey, whenever that will be.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
whatever happen to Dos? He used to post here every day.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

As of now, I am on vacation in Orlando, seemingly stranded here by storm Jonas. Only network being used by the phone is the cell network; I doubt a whole local network IP in this area has been banned tho, but is still a possibility. Would have to check if I'm un-banned when I get back home to Jersey, whenever that will be.

Hmm I'm not sure what the explanation is for encountering a ban via cellular network.  That's interesting.

As for Dos, I dunno.  I miss his posts, but he did get into it with people fairly often.  Guess only the mods know one way or another.  He might just be taking a break.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 07:27:04 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I am having the same issue on my mobile device. It states that I have been banned due to non stop tank talk, which I have never advocated on here.

Same message on my mobile device... So weird

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 07:44:07 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Finally! I'm back from apparently having non stop tank talk...no clue what that even means. Thank you for working out the bugs.

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 04:52:50 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
I have also been banned on a cellular network , it says "sorry guest you are banned from using this forum! circumventing a ban already in place. Keep Rondo.  Continued antagonism.  this ban is not set to expire"

I didn't do anything when logged in or when just browsing not logged in,  what else could cause this and can it be fixed?

thank you

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It happened to me. It may have been started initially by a network, but then persisted either because it was my MAC address that had been flagged, or because of a cookie that stayed on the machine.

Had you recently traveled? Is it possible that the time on your device did not match the local time?

I'm thinking in my case such a mismatch caused the ban, which persisted even after I went home.

At that point, clearing the cache seemed to fix the problem. You might try that.

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 05:07:14 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
I cleared the cache just now but unfortunately didn't help :(

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
It happened to me. It may have been started initially by a network, but then persisted either because it was my MAC address that had been flagged, or because of a cookie that stayed on the machine.

Had you recently traveled? Is it possible that the time on your device did not match the local time?

I'm thinking in my case such a mismatch caused the ban, which persisted even after I went home.

At that point, clearing the cache seemed to fix the problem. You might try that.

I'm on iphone using chrome, I tried clearing cache twice but didn't work, followed up by "clear all" which seems to be browsing history, cache, cookies, site date among other things and that worked! thank you, TP

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I cleared the cache just now but unfortunately didn't help :(

You're getting a notice related to a specific poster, so my guess is that you and the departed KeepRondo frequented some of the same locations, e.g. same gym, coffee shop, library, or whatever.  Just a guess.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We'll get it straightened out. There seems to be a lot more IP overlap than there used to be.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I'm on iphone using chrome, I tried clearing cache twice but didn't work, followed up by "clear all" which seems to be browsing history, cache, cookies, site date among other things and that worked! thank you, TP

Glad to hear it!

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 01:59:35 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Second time I've been banned because of the roaming cellphone IP address thing or whatever. Cleared the cache and whatnot the day after, didn't work. Finally worked today.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 02:29:38 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

I have an easy solution for you.

Go to general section and then reset section. Then reset network settings. The phone will reboot and reconnect to the cell tower. You should be reassigned a new IP.

Good luck.