Author Topic: Avery Bradley & our teenage son's death  (Read 9958 times)

Avery Bradley & our teenage son's death
« on: January 13, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Our son, Jaret Harshman, died in a car wreck on December 9th.  He was in the backseat of a car, riding with 2 of his friends to Wednesday night youth group at our church.  His friend who was driving ran a stop sign.  They were hit by another vehicle and my son was the only one who did not survive.  I was coming up behind them - about 15 minutes - and came upon the accident scene.  I'm also the minister of the church.  Jaret was 15 - would have turned 16 on December 28th.  Needless to say, this is heartbreaking to our family...  It's been a long month.  He was an awesome kid who ran varsity cross country as a sophomore, and we discovered was a well loved kid.  He was one of the best.  More than 500 people came to his service, and those who spoke told of a kid with a big smile and an even bigger heart.  I lost my best friend...

Here are the links to his celebration service - that I oversaw.  Hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  But as a minister I do funerals for people I've never met - I HAD to do this for my son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-O82A1myK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtNgyMMJgtk

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/one-teen-killed-two-others-hurt-in-brooksville-crash/2257222

----

Here's what I want to say in regards to my thanks for Avery Bradley...  I've become somewhat of friends to Jay King who tweets all Celtics stuff for MassLive.  He gave me his personal number so I could get in touch with him some time ago.  In November, our entire family went to the Boston Celtics - Orlando Magic game (we live in Florida - suburb of Tampa).  We were taking this trip to celebrate our son's 16th birthday early.  Jaret was hoping that Jay might possibly be able to set up a meeting with Avery Bradley that night - Jaret's favorite player on the Celtics - but it didn't transpire - which was totally fine.  I later sent Jay a text with the story of our son.  Jay then asked for my address - I thought he personally wanted to send me a card.  Well, Jay told the story of our son's death to Avery, and we received the following in the mail.  Avery Bradley is my hero...  What he did for our family is one of the kindest things that a professional athlete could ever do...  A signed jersey, and this letter...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204553001179676&set=pcb.10204553090581911&type=3&theater

Re: Avery Bradley & our teenage son's death
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for posting this. Avery Bradley truly is one or the good guys.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am truly sorry for your loss. It is always a tragedy when our youth are taken from us before their time. Thank you for sharing this with us during your time healing. I am sure all here at Celticsblog send out their heartfelt condolences as well.

I am proud of Avery and the Celtics for reaching out to you the way they did with their heartfelt gesture.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Sharing this must have been terribly difficult.

Thank you. God bless you and your family. It sounds like you did a great job in raising your son. For that you should be proud.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2535
Thank you so much for sharing your story.   I read this while awaiting a meeting and am now sitting here in tears, both for your devastating loss and for the warmth shown to you by Avery.  My own stress of the day just crumbled in the context of considering what you are going through.  Sincere condolences to you and your family. 

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aide.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing. Its funny i was thinking last night how Avery really is a good guy on the court. I was trying to think if i have ever seen him get a tech and hurt the team. Not only is he a good guy on the floor but a great guy off of it. Good luck with everything and again thanks for sharing.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm glad to hear of Avery's thoughtfulness towards you and your family. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
 the strength you exhibited truly is admirable.  Thanks for sharing and may you and your family find peace, comfort, and strength in these troubled times.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I am so sorry for your loss. It must be so difficult to face every day with his memory.

I moved down here to New Tampa from NH last year and just read this on this blog and feel so bad for you and your family. Can I get the address of where your church is so that my wife & I can attend some time in the future?

Bless you and your family.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Our son, Jaret Harshman, died in a car wreck on December 9th.  He was in the backseat of a car, riding with 2 of his friends to Wednesday night youth group at our church.  His friend who was driving ran a stop sign.  They were hit by another vehicle and my son was the only one who did not survive.  I was coming up behind them - about 15 minutes - and came upon the accident scene.  I'm also the minister of the church.  Jaret was 15 - would have turned 16 on December 28th.  Needless to say, this is heartbreaking to our family...  It's been a long month.  He was an awesome kid who ran varsity cross country as a sophomore, and we discovered was a well loved kid.  He was one of the best.  More than 500 people came to his service, and those who spoke told of a kid with a big smile and an even bigger heart.  I lost my best friend...

Here are the links to his celebration service - that I oversaw.  Hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  But as a minister I do funerals for people I've never met - I HAD to do this for my son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-O82A1myK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtNgyMMJgtk

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/one-teen-killed-two-others-hurt-in-brooksville-crash/2257222

----

Here's what I want to say in regards to my thanks for Avery Bradley...  I've become somewhat of friends to Jay King who tweets all Celtics stuff for MassLive.  He gave me his personal number so I could get in touch with him some time ago.  In November, our entire family went to the Boston Celtics - Orlando Magic game (we live in Florida - suburb of Tampa).  We were taking this trip to celebrate our son's 16th birthday early.  Jaret was hoping that Jay might possibly be able to set up a meeting with Avery Bradley that night - Jaret's favorite player on the Celtics - but it didn't transpire - which was totally fine.  I later sent Jay a text with the story of our son.  Jay then asked for my address - I thought he personally wanted to send me a card.  Well, Jay told the story of our son's death to Avery, and we received the following in the mail.  Avery Bradley is my hero...  What he did for our family is one of the kindest things that a professional athlete could ever do...  A signed jersey, and this letter...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204553001179676&set=pcb.10204553090581911&type=3&theater

You, your family, and your passed son are the true heroes.

Condolences and prayers to your family and friends.

From the little details you've mentioned about your son is already enough to know he's in a far better place now; that few deserve to be....but he surely does.

Take some solace that you will see him again....bring some happy memories to share like Avery Bradley's signed jersey and letter! (:

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:01 PM »

Offline Guardian of The Truth

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks for reminding us that the players are just people like you and me, and Avery Bradley is one of the good ones.

Take care,

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Thank you so much for sharing your story.   I read this while awaiting a meeting and am now sitting here in tears, both for your devastating loss and for the warmth shown to you by Avery.  My own stress of the day just crumbled in the context of considering what you are going through.  Sincere condolences to you and your family.
I just read it at work and the same thing happened.  Nobody saw me though!

Very sorry to hear that news.  That's awesome what Avery did and thanks for sharing that.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 05:53:37 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I am so sorry for your loss. It is great that Avery Bradley and the Celtics did that, and I am glad for the happiness that it rightfully provides you. Please keep marching forward - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and all of CelticsBlog is with you.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
With tears in my eyes, my heart goes out to you. Thanks you for sharing, and a tip of the cap goes to Avery.