Author Topic: Celtics (19-18) at Knicks (19-20) Game #38 1/12/16  (Read 35941 times)

Re: Celtics (19-18) at Knicks (19-20) Game #38 1/12/16
« Reply #450 on: January 12, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Olynyk has been atrocious lately. It stings every time I consider the fact that we could have had the Greek Freak instead, especially considering what a great fit he would have been on this team. It seems like Olynyk does not have the mental fortitude or physical gifts to make a difference in this league. He is a defensive liability due to his lack of quickness and physical tools, and it way too passive and hesitant on the offensive end. His best bet would be to emulate Dirk's game and hope that he can come close to achieving one-tenth of the player that Dirk is, but the reality is that Dirk is an exception.

Thomas cannot shoulder the load on his own, but his ability to take over games and make plays is undeniable. This team needs a two-way big man who can be relied on for consistent performance.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #451 on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Olynyk has been atrocious lately. It stings every time I consider the fact that we could have had the Greek Freak instead, especially considering what a great fit he would have been on this team. It seems like Olynyk does not have the mental fortitude or physical gifts to make a difference in this league. He is a defensive liability due to his lack of quickness and physical tools, and it way too passive and hesitant on the offensive end. His best bet would be to emulate Dirk's game and hope that he can come close to achieving one-tenth of the player that Dirk is, but the reality is that Dirk is an exception.

Thomas cannot shoulder the load on his own, but his ability to take over games and make plays is undeniable. This team needs a two-way big man who can be relied on for consistent performance.

Interesting, was actually wondering:  If we had the opportunity to upgrade one part of our team, where would it be? For a while I was thinking SF, but crowder has played well enough to make me reconsider that. Certainly this two way big man could be cousins, but that's not likely to happen.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2016, 11:43:42 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
One positive I did take from tonight's game, was Marcus Smart's offense.  I know he was only 2-7, but I thought he distributed the ball well, his shot selection was on balance pretty good, and there were 2 instances where he drove the ball to the hoop where it appeared he actually had enough burst to finish at the NBA level.

Brad's decision to start Marcus (and his subsequent aggressive play) at the beginning of the 2nd half was the only reason we were even in this game.  Marcus brings so much to the table defensively and from an intangibles perspective that I just keep hoping the lightbulb will go off on the offensive end - even if it is just a little one.

« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2016, 11:45:05 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55

Interesting, was actually wondering:  If we had the opportunity to upgrade one part of our team, where would it be? For a while I was thinking SF, but crowder has played well enough to make me reconsider that. Certainly this two way big man could be cousins, but that's not likely to happen.

Crowder is doing a wonderful job of being the starting small forward, but I think having the flexibility of someone who can play either forward position would be an upgrade. Jerebko is that type of player, but he's got significant limitations.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2016, 11:48:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Crowder is doing a wonderful job of being the starting small forward, but I think having the flexibility of someone who can play either forward position would be an upgrade. Jerebko is that type of player, but he's got significant limitations.

So, someone like Gallinari? I'd happily trade for him at the deadline if Denver was willing to give him up.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #455 on: January 13, 2016, 06:27:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully shot well in the fourth but his D, was not great.  I wish he would stay more from the mid range in, he was lights out, it is when he tries to be a stretch four, that he fails offensively.  But when he plays within his game, as he did early in the season, he does better.   I think he plays better in spurts.

Stevens is really tinkering with the small ball, it makes me think that he is at his wits end.   I think that DA needs to make a deal.

Will people blame Crowder and IT for this one, I think they are doing well.  It is refreshing to hear some people acknowledge it like, Silent Storm.

« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Our best offensive lineup (with IT and Sully) is too weak defensively to even shut down the Knicks minus Carmelo.  I'm agreeing its time to figure out who's in the running to be part of your future, play them and bench or deal anyone else.  Team as is won't make playoffs, barring injuries on other teams.

This team seems like it's on a mission to disprove all the analytics.

We can debate the talent level of this team but what made this stretch so terrible is stinking the joint out against two clearly inferior teams in the Lakers and Nets and then putting forth a pathetic defensive effort tonight.  Win those three games and we're okay.

Brad Stevens earned a lot of credit with the amazing end to the regular season last year but he's really got to rethink things.  His rotation management remains very questionable and his offense has consistently shone that it completely locks up when the other team ups its defensive intensity.  It also seems clear that his nice guy routine has exhausted its usefulness.

Mike

It's not Stevens fault.

Whoever he plays just isn't cutting it!

We all thought when Bradely gets healthy and Smart gets back we'd be ok. Well no.

Play KO more? Sit David Lee?

Who else do you want out there? Zeller? You guys really think Tyler Zeller is going to solve this team's multitude of problems?

Oh how about Mickey? Yeah let's throw out a young rookie and expect him to turn this team around.

Maybe we just have to throw out Rozier too. Give all the kiddies a chance to play and see if they can help this team win a game.

Are you kidding me?

We've come to the point where we need rookies to lead us to wins?

And fans think this team is so full of talent.

« Reply #457 on: January 13, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm riding the tank train, baby. Can't take this no-offense offense anymore.

LOL.

No offense?

This team can score...just maybe not so consistently in the 4th quarter.

The problem is clearly the defense which has been getting torched lately.

Losing to the Cavs, OKC, Warriors, and Spurs and giving up 100+ points ok...that's fine, I'm ok with that.

But not the Lakers, Knicks, and Nets.

« Reply #458 on: January 13, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Our best offensive lineup (with IT and Sully) is too weak defensively to even shut down the Knicks minus Carmelo.  I'm agreeing its time to figure out who's in the running to be part of your future, play them and bench or deal anyone else.  Team as is won't make playoffs, barring injuries on other teams.

This team seems like it's on a mission to disprove all the analytics.

We can debate the talent level of this team but what made this stretch so terrible is stinking the joint out against two clearly inferior teams in the Lakers and Nets and then putting forth a pathetic defensive effort tonight.  Win those three games and we're okay.

Brad Stevens earned a lot of credit with the amazing end to the regular season last year but he's really got to rethink things.  His rotation management remains very questionable and his offense has consistently shone that it completely locks up when the other team ups its defensive intensity.  It also seems clear that his nice guy routine has exhausted its usefulness.

Mike

It's not Stevens fault.

At minimum, Stevens is to blame for...

Players shooting so many 3s, especially guys like Turner who completely suck at them.

Awful rotation management.  The team is playing putrid defense last night but Stevens for some reason decides to only go 9 deep, which he almost never does, and lets Hunter, Young, Lee and Zeller get DNP-CDs.  If Lee and Zeller are so completely useless they can't even get into a game where KO plays 11 minutes and Sully just 19, there's absolutely no reason not to have Mickey on the main roster.

Mike