Poll

Who wins UFC 197 Main Event?

McGregor
1 (33.3%)
Dos Anjos
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: UFC 197 McGregor vs Dos Anjos  (Read 2866 times)

UFC 197 McGregor vs Dos Anjos
« on: January 10, 2016, 11:24:36 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My head says Dos Anjos but my heart says McGregor.

Still not sure.

Biggest event in UFC history? Top 5?

Who are you picking, and why?

Discuss.

Will post updates with info as they are released.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: UFC 197 McGregor vs Dos Anjos
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:53 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Dos Anjos is such a powerful striker, Connor might have bitten more than he could chew here.

But I am rooting for a McGregor win.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:16:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Dos Anjos is such a powerful striker, Connor might have bitten more than he could chew here.

But I am rooting for a McGregor win.

McGregor's great skill is keeping good boxers at a length that's comfortable for him.
He has a unique style of aggressively stalking as his main form of defense, forcing his opponent to react and manipulating their game plan.
He's an amazing striker, but he prefers to keep distance and counter punch like Anderson Silva.

He's never faced a pressure striker like Dos Anjos, and that's what makes this fight fascinating.

You've got arguably the best technical boxer in MMA in McGregor, trying to use his length and timing to keep a guy who is arguably the world's best 'brawler'- a master at getting inside the reach of longer fighters.

What's going to be interesting is seeing how McGregor handles Dos Anjo's left kick to the liver.
He killed Pettis and Cerrone with it.

Dos Anjos has an amazing chin, but can he handle the barbell hands of McGregor and his 1,2 combo? He's got the best 1,2 in all of MMA (well everyone except Mighty Mouse).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Biggest event in UFC history is still likely UFC 100.

Dos Anjos is a good striker, but he's a bit stiff and I think McGregor could pick him apart on standing, especially with counters. However, if Dos Anjos can take him down that's where his BJJ could exploit McGregor's biggest weakness.

I think Tate upsets Holm too.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:22:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Biggest event in UFC history is still likely UFC 100.

Dos Anjos is a good striker, but he's a bit stiff and I think McGregor could pick him apart on standing, especially with counters. However, if Dos Anjos can take him down that's where his BJJ could exploit McGregor's biggest weakness.

I think Tate upsets Holm too.

Agreed, this is what I wanted to see with Aldo but he got knocked down very quick. His last fight against Chad Mendes, he was being pummeled on the mat, until he got out of a guillotine attempt (though Mendes should just continued the elbows) and took over with his striking.

I'm really eager to see how he would do against Dos Anjos' mat game. People said if Aldo took him down, McGregor would lose, and we didn't see that. Will we vs Don Anjos?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Not even a top 5 event in UFC history and that is even including the Holm v. Tate title fight that is the co-main. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Not even a top 5 event in UFC history and that is even including the Holm v. Tate title fight that is the co-main.

It most definitely is a top 5 UFC event. McGregor is the biggest star they've ever had and there's not even a close 2nd.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It most definitely is a top 5 UFC event. McGregor is the biggest star they've ever had and there's not even a close 2nd.

Brock Lesnar and it's not even close. The PPV numbers he would generate haven't been duplicated.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 01:48:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Brock Lesnar and it's not even close. The PPV numbers he would generate haven't been duplicated.
Yeah. Lesnar is 1.  GSP is still 2.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip