Author Topic: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down  (Read 29261 times)

Re: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojVerticalNBA
To be clear, most within Nets front office and org. learned of firings via release. King informed Hollins that the two of them were let go.

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojVerticalNBA
To be clear, most within Nets front office and org. learned of firings via release. King informed Hollins that the two of them were let go.

Because Nets.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojVerticalNBA
wow pretty cold.

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojVerticalNBA
wow pretty cold.

In Russia, you know you are fired when you feel cold of hitman's pistol on back of your head.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2016, 01:40:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I really don't think this means that Young and Lopez are on the way out.

Rather, I think it means that Prokhorov and King were at odds over the direction for the franchise. I suspect King wanted to play it slow, and use cap space next season to add to the Lopez/Young core; Prokhorov wasn't willing to wait that long. Hollins' firing also probably reflects Prokhorov's unreasonable expectations for competing (let alone winning) given the quality of the roster.

People are forgetting that Jarret Jack's contract is virtually expiring (only guaranteed for a few hundred thousand next season). Along with unimpressive yet cost-controlled players on the Nets roster, that's another chip to make a deal with.

I anticipate a trade or two by the Nets before the deadline, and preserving cap space for next year will not be the guiding directive.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

Still ticked off at those two Nets losses however.
new gm might also come in and make a couple moves to help them win.

Not really.  They'd have nothing to trade except for the aforementioned Lopez and Thad Young

Joe Johnson is still a capable shooter that could be very valuable to a contender in a reserve role.  He has $25M coming off the books.  The Nets could take on a lot of salary coming back and nab either a future pick or a serviceable player that could work for them...sort of like the KG for Thad deal last year.

Joe Johnson has an 8 PER. Capable shooter? He's not an NBA player anymore.  His expiring salary means nothing when every team will have cap space this year.  He has as much value as a Powerball ticket from last night.  He will be bought out after the deadline.

Look at what I cited previously....Brooklyn did something very similar in trading KG for Thad Young.  Yes, Joe Johnson still is a capable shooter as we witnessed the other night when he destroyed the Celtics. 

There are some teams that I am sure would love to trade out of a bad deal.  A $25M expiring lets you do that.
where is even an remote place he can go? His contract is an albatross.Feel free to propose a trade where it makes any sense for him to go. 25 million is about 3-4 Nba players

Salary match with Phoenix for Markieff Morris and Tyson Chandler.
i would love that trade, it will mess the nets up for the near future.

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
hopefully the Nets liked their coach and this just leads them to rebel for a couple of months.

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
According to Mike Mazzeo, there are no immediate plans to replace Billy King.  Meaning either they aren't going to be doing any moves for a while, or Prokhorov plans to get in there himself.  Either way, we get to watch the (Nets') world burn a little more.

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not having their own #1's for the next 3 years makes it less likely that they trade guys who can contribute now and who the fanbase roots for.

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We have what the Nets need ......they are clearly starting over

We have PIcKs ....other than Philly ( who needs Lopez) like a hole in the head . We have no competition with what we can offer .  Only Heat with Goatside .... :angel:     ......meh..

Nets need draft picks ...first and formost .

You gotta think DA is waiting with checkbook in hand for Lopez / Young

Give them part of their future back ......just NOT this year s pick .

Tank em out ......let Lopez have a playoff run with the Celtics .......

Might be a lot of fun ....!

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Make no mistake, this is not good news.  Surprised as many people think this might be a good thing.

Mark it down, the Nets will go on a mini win streak.  Eventually they will come down to earth but those few wins may be the difference.

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojVerticalNBA
wow pretty cold.

How is it cold? King personally informed Hollins. Who cares about how the rest of the front office learning it?

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2016, 01:59:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Make no mistake, this is not good news.  Surprised as many people think this might be a good thing.

Mark it down, the Nets will go on a mini win streak.  Eventually they will come down to earth but those few wins may be the difference.

No they won't ...impossible ...have you looked at the schedule ?

Spurs .
Knicks
Trailblazers
Hawks

This is not a mini winning streak .....but a disaster without their head coach

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

Still ticked off at those two Nets losses however.
new gm might also come in and make a couple moves to help them win.

Yeah that's great, but how the heck do they do that?

Trade picks in 2020? Trade Lopez? They have nothing to trade that teams would want.

Maybe they can do a three team trade with the Celtics and beg Ainge to throw in some picks lol.

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

would you care to explain how and why the nets will suddenly start winning games? was hollins so bad a coach that he held them back this season? is someone going to step up and take over jack's role?

let's bet and see. if the nets go 7-3 or better over the next 10 games, i owe you a tp. if not, i get one. heck, i'll even give you odds if you want.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva