Author Topic: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down  (Read 29464 times)

Re: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

Still ticked off at those two Nets losses however.
new gm might also come in and make a couple moves to help them win.

Not really.  They'd have nothing to trade except for the aforementioned Lopez and Thad Young

Joe Johnson is still a capable shooter that could be very valuable to a contender in a reserve role.  He has $25M coming off the books.  The Nets could take on a lot of salary coming back and nab either a future pick or a serviceable player that could work for them...sort of like the KG for Thad deal last year.

Joe Johnson has an 8 PER. Capable shooter? He's not an NBA player anymore.  His expiring salary means nothing when every team will have cap space this year.  He has as much value as a Powerball ticket from last night.  He will be bought out after the deadline.

Look at what I cited previously....Brooklyn did something very similar in trading KG for Thad Young.  Yes, Joe Johnson still is a capable shooter as we witnessed the other night when he destroyed the Celtics. 

There are some teams that I am sure would love to trade out of a bad deal.  A $25M expiring lets you do that.
where is even an remote place he can go? His contract is an albatross.Feel free to propose a trade where it makes any sense for him to go. 25 million is about 3-4 Nba players

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

Not really.  They'd have nothing to trade except for the aforementioned Lopez and Thad Young

Joe Johnson is still a capable shooter that could be very valuable to a contender in a reserve role.  He has $25M coming off the books.  The Nets could take on a lot of salary coming back and nab either a future pick or a serviceable player that could work for them...sort of like the KG for Thad deal last year.

Joe Johnson has an 8 PER. Capable shooter? He's not an NBA player anymore.  His expiring salary means nothing when every team will have cap space this year.  He has as much value as a Powerball ticket from last night.  He will be bought out after the deadline.

Look at what I cited previously....Brooklyn did something very similar in trading KG for Thad Young.  Yes, Joe Johnson still is a capable shooter as we witnessed the other night when he destroyed the Celtics. 

There are some teams that I am sure would love to trade out of a bad deal.  A $25M expiring lets you do that.
where is even an remote place he can go? His contract is an albatross.Feel free to propose a trade where it makes any sense for him to go. 25 million is about 3-4 Nba players

Salary match with Phoenix for Markieff Morris and Tyson Chandler.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
So this has got to be the best news for our pick. Any sane GM will trade Lopez and Young for picks to rebuild ensuring that at least this year our pick will be amazing

You would assume so......still so mgmt do some unpredictable stuff.

I think we should trade LESSER picks and players for Lopez ........but NOT this years Nets pick

This automatically TaNKs Nets with no Lopez and probably boosts the Celtics into,the top four in the EAST ....

All in one move.

Would that be cool .....get Lopez and a Shot for Simmons ?

Not sure what would be required for Lopez. I'd trade the Dallas pick for Thad Young tbh. No matter what they trade them for it'll be worse in the short term for the Nets. Simmons/Ingram really could be a possibility

We are on the same page ...... Buying out the remaining decent Nets players ......bumps up our lottery chances .....

Surely Danny can see this . ........plus it lets us off load excess bigs ....like Lee , JJ , Zellar ....etc.

This is a golden opportunity to. PURCHASE a lottery top five or CREATE one without tanking .

Then we can still flip Young and Lopez latter

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
im not gonna lie I'm nervous about who they replace these guys with and what they do at the deadline
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hollins did a pretty decent job with that team.

Gotta feel good for him getting away from that tire fire.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
So this has got to be the best news for our pick. Any sane GM will trade Lopez and Young for picks to rebuild ensuring that at least this year our pick will be amazing

I think we should trade LESSER picks and players for Lopez ........but NOT this years Nets pick

This automatically TaNKs Nets with no Lopez and probably boosts the Celtics into,the top four in the EAST ....

All in one move.

Not sure what would be required for Lopez. I'd trade the Dallas pick for Thad Young tbh. No matter what they trade them for it'll be worse in the short term for the Nets. Simmons/Ingram really could be a possibility

We are on the same page ...... Buying out the remaining decent Nets players ......bumps up our lottery chances .....

Surely Danny can see this . ........plus it lets us off load excess bigs ....like Lee , JJ , Zellar ....etc.

This is a golden opportunity to. PURCHASE a lottery top five or CREATE one without tanking .

Lee and Dallas first for Thad all day, though I'm not sure what Young makes in regards to salaries. Would be an excellent trade for us on two fronts

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2016, 01:13:47 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I can't see them squandering so much cap room without a new GM in place. Anyone new will want to make that kind of decision himself (particularly since that cap room is about their only asset at this point).

Also that trade swaps for two guys who are a lot like their only two good players right now.

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Let us all pray that that doesn't happen.

If it is on the verge of happening Danny needs to jump in and offer Lee and Amir for the two and throw in a 2nd.

In all seriousness Danny should call all 28 teams and say if Brooklyn calls you you call me first

Let me take that back we don't need 4 years of Tyson chandler at 13 mil
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I've said this before but I think the most sensible play for them is to finish this year pretty much as-is, perhaps trading some of the marginal guys for second rounders if they can.

Then hire a GM, re-group and try to sign some FAs this summer, or trade for other teams' bad contracts and absorb salary.

They gain nothing by rushing to improve the team for the remainder of this year, and they will lose flexibility.

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

All in one move.

Lee and Dallas first for Thad all day, though I'm not sure what Young makes in regards to salaries. Would be an excellent trade for us on two fronts
young's salary, from this year until 2018-19 he makes:
$11,200,000   $12,100,000   $12,900,000   $13,800,000

not bad really in this new cap world.

just for your information, you can get this sort of info easily by going to http://www.basketball-reference.com/

then type in a player's name in search. salaries are way down the page.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2016, 01:20:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

All in one move.

just for your information, you can get this sort of info easily by going to http://www.basketball-reference.com/

I like Young but I'm not sure if I want to commit to him for 4 years.
However that deal probably locks them in as a bottom 5 team and makes them really likely to yield  top 3 lotto odds

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2016, 01:20:20 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

All in one move.

Really like this trade. I'd even add our first round pick also.

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22

All in one move.

Really like this trade. I'd even add our first round pick also.

Let's be realistic, guys. Brooklyn isn't going to trade with us in the near future, ESPECIALLY NOT to trade us one of their few assets for a marginal pick.

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2016, 01:27:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Hey why did our New York affiliate fire our GM and coach? Did the check with home office before this move?

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Will David Lee and Tyler Zeller + our 1st and two 2nds (one for this year and the next) for Brook Lopez be good enough?

I'm thinking that the new GM would probably come in to just restart the whole thing and get as much assets as they could.

David Lee and Joe Johnson are two MASSIVE expiring contracts. They will open up a TON of room to possibly sign two max contract players with that.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace