Author Topic: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down  (Read 29445 times)

Re: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Often times the players will at least try harder for their new coach for a couple of weeks, I envision that they try and play at a slightly faster pace now without Hollins at the helm, but that will further expose their defensive woes.Hey but at least they will put up some more offensive numbers.
Once the novelty of the coaching change wears off it is a good chance they get even worse.

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

Still ticked off at those two Nets losses however.
new gm might also come in and make a couple moves to help them win.
such as? what do they have to trade that would bring back better players now, this season? as stated, this post makes no sense that i can see.
I think Thad Young could get two first round picks or a young wing player with promise. Dude is having a really good year.
2 firsts?  not likely.  Doubt he brings back what we got for Jeff Green.
Jeff Green is not close to Thad's value. Seems like a lot of people get this so wrong.

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2016, 12:54:23 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

such as? what do they have to trade that would bring back better players now, this season? as stated, this post makes no sense that i can see.
I think Thad Young could get two first round picks or a young wing player with promise. Dude is having a really good year.

Yes exactly.  He is playing exceptional this year.  And he was acquired by trading an expensive and fading KG to a lottery team.
Yep. Seems like a ton of other posters on here devalue him for whatever reason.

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
So this has got to be the best news for our pick. Any sane GM will trade Lopez and Young for picks to rebuild ensuring that at least this year our pick will be amazing

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Not really.  They'd have nothing to trade except for the aforementioned Lopez and Thad Young

Joe Johnson is still a capable shooter that could be very valuable to a contender in a reserve role.  He has $25M coming off the books.  The Nets could take on a lot of salary coming back and nab either a future pick or a serviceable player that could work for them...sort of like the KG for Thad deal last year.

Joe Johnson has an 8 PER. Capable shooter? He's not an NBA player anymore.  His expiring salary means nothing when every team will have cap space this year.  He has as much value as a Powerball ticket from last night.  He will be bought out after the deadline.

Look at what I cited previously....Brooklyn did something very similar in trading KG for Thad Young.  Yes, Joe Johnson still is a capable shooter as we witnessed the other night when he destroyed the Celtics. 

There are some teams that I am sure would love to trade out of a bad deal.  A $25M expiring lets you do that.

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
I could get less if the Nets get 10 first round picks for Thad or Brook.  Why is that being argued about how many or the level of quality of draft picks + young talent that would be returned to Brooklyn for the services of those players?

Fact is: Any trade of those two makes the Nets worse this year and likely next year as well.  Further enhancing that Nets Celtics draft pick even more.

Which is all I care about.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 12:57:47 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
I could get less if the Nets get 10 first round picks for Thad or Brook.  Why is that being argued about how many or the level of quality of draft picks + young talent that would be returned to Brooklyn for the services of those players?

Fact is: Any trade of those two makes the Nets worse this year and likely next year as well.  Further enhancing that Nets Celtics draft pick even more.

Bingo. Best news of the season

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2016, 12:59:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

With what assets? You can't make chicken salad out of chicken...

They have a $25M expiring deal in Joe Johnson

They have an All-Star-caliber center in Brook Lopez

They have a solid NBA starting PF in Thad Young

They have a couple interesting role players in Bogdanovic, Larkin, Reed that could fit some teams' needs
all true and these will be the key trading chips for the nets rebuild. but i dont see how any of these bring in better players this year. this year, and probably next, they are cooked.

if lopez et al go out for picks, the nets will be bad for at least the next 2 years, which benefits the celtics.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Because they are only getting traded if they can bring back some substantial value in return for a new GM.  Otherwise they are staying on the Nets, and the Nets are building around them, and that makes them better.  Unless somehow Lopez and/or Young are flipped and bring back a Carmelo-like talent.

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wonder if they will go after Luke Walton right away

Hope the new GM blows the team up so we can get an even better chance at simmoms

Tri, don't you have a thread that says we have NO CHANCE at Simmons because the Nets will be the 8th seed?

Was gonna say the same thing...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
So this has got to be the best news for our pick. Any sane GM will trade Lopez and Young for picks to rebuild ensuring that at least this year our pick will be amazing

You would assume so......still so mgmt do some unpredictable stuff.

I think we should trade LESSER picks and players for Lopez ........but NOT this years Nets pick

This automatically TaNKs Nets with no Lopez and probably boosts the Celtics into,the top four in the EAST ....

All in one move.

Would that be cool .....get Lopez and a Shot for Simmons ?

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

Because they are only getting traded if they can bring back some substantial value in return for a new GM.  Otherwise they are staying on the Nets, and the Nets are building around them, and that makes them better.  Unless somehow Lopez and/or Young are flipped and bring back a Carmelo-like talent.

Building around them with what? They have nothing... The only way to create a competent team is to trade Lopez and Young

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Sad to see King go...hopefully Thad and/or Brook are traded ASAP

Hollins is decent.

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

You would assume so......still so mgmt do some unpredictable stuff.

I think we should trade LESSER picks and players for Lopez ........but NOT this years Nets pick

This automatically TaNKs Nets with no Lopez and probably boosts the Celtics into,the top four in the EAST ....

All in one move.

Would that be cool .....get Lopez and a Shot for Simmons ?

Not sure what would be required for Lopez. I'd trade the Dallas pick for Thad Young tbh. No matter what they trade them for it'll be worse in the short term for the Nets. Simmons/Ingram really could be a possibility

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22

Building around them with what? They have nothing... The only way to create a competent team is to trade Lopez and Young

I don't see them trading Brook Lopez as he is their superstar/face of the franchise player - UNLESS they get a godfather offer. HOWEVER, I could see Thad Young and anyone else on that roster (e.g. Bogdanavich) being traded for future picks.

I also worry Joe Johnson's 25 million dollar expiring will get them something - not something great, but something that could help them add a few wins this year and next...