Author Topic: rondo filling up stats  (Read 8894 times)

Re: rondo filling up stats
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I haven't seen any SAC games.  Is the defense still sagging off him and daring him to shoot?

He is shooting about 35% from 3PT on just over 2 attempts.  That appears to be an improvement but if all the attempts are wide open shots, the stat means something different.

I suspect it is the same Rondo who can make dazzling passes but at times dribbles around looking for assists too much.  SAC seems like a good team for him.  Things are going much better at least than they did in Dallas.

His overall +/- is -2.7 per 36min, one of the worst on the team.  That is part of the equation for Rondo.

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The vitriol seems even creepier now that Rondo is long gone.

See, I think it's the continued obsession that's creepy. Why are there new threads on this board every single day about a cast off? Is it because certain posters have to defend their misguided history of defending the player, or that they actually believe he's good, or in demand? Either way, it's just a drag.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 06:10:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
http://hoopshype.com/2016/01/03/is-rajon-rondo-really-helping-the-kings/

More rondo plays, the worse off his team is.
Which a lot of people choose to ignore.

Yes, I always use hoopshype as my trusted source............................... ::)

Sure -- blame hoops hype for your denial. Whatever works.

You're the one who quoted hoopshype, not I..

I'm not blaming anyone, lol

What can't be denied, though - is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOg9CG7_iTA

...and what also can't be denied is that those who are cheering for him don't blog.
No a lot of people did cheer for him who blog.  A lot of people are able to separate current performance and past performance.  I appreciate what Rondo did for the C's. His playoff performances were magical. I wish it could have worked out here in Boston.

However, it didnt and a lot of the reason it didnt was because Rondo suffered a nasty injury and then upon his return he wasnt the same player and it was clearly the right decision for the team to move on.

I wish him the best, I assume many C's bloggers do. I am torn between wanting to see him light it up and wanting to see Sac fall apart, but its fair to be critical of him. He has for the last few teams he has been on etc seemed to have a negative statistical impact on his teams.

Its worth discussing I think.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The vitriol seems even creepier now that Rondo is long gone.

See, I think it's the continued obsession that's creepy. Why are there new threads on this board every single day about a cast offCeltics Great? Is it because certain posters have to defend their misguided history of defending the player, or that they actually believe he's good, or in demand? Either way, it's just a drag.

Fixed that for you.

And as for me - I defend Rajon about as much as I defend Paul Pierce, Larry, KG, Russ....

Yes. To me, he deserves to be in that bunch of Celtics Greats. Ranking is unimportant to me.

As KG was never quite the same after his Utah visit, and Paul and Ray aged RONDO stepped up his game.

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They are actually inching towards .500 which is good for Rondo... and I guess bad for our hopes of landing Cousins.

I never doubted Rondo's ability to rack up stats on a system that catered to him.  As long as he's playing big minutes and controlling the ball at all times, he can be a statistical beast. 

If you intend to run a modern "pace-and-space" offense built around ball movement and shooting, Rondo will prove to be a liability.  It was clear that we were better without him 3 years in a row and instead of seeing him successfully adapt to playing Brad's system, Boston basically just let Rondo keep doing Rondo things during his final days... to the detriment of the team and the system they were trying to implement.   Then he ends up in Dallas... which was at the time the shining example of a "pace and space" offense... and Rondo was predictably a disaster.

But as long as you give him the keys and let him run the show, he'll get you lots of assists.  His 35% three point shooting deserves credit.   Shooting 50% from the line and his team being 6 games under .500 is a problem, but they are actually 1.5 games out of the playoffs.

The years we "were worse with Rondo" were ones where he was recovering from knee surgery, right?

I seem to recall that the team actually got better when Rondo went out the year he got injured, too, though I also recall that there was a lot of controversy at the time about why that might be.
Yep. There were quite a few words spilled over this exact issue. The facts showed the celtics winning more games without rondo, aNd a higher winning percentage, than with him. He was healthy for a fair amount of this.

As to why, as brought out by pho, each poster's opinion held sway.
It's because Rondo was chasing an assist streak, the offense was predictable and his stats were empty.   As soon as healthy Rondo went down, the ball flowed through Pierce, the team started sharing the ball and hitting shots, and we crawled from a below .500 team to making the playoffs.  It was the first sign of many that the team played better without him.   The point was hammered home when Rondo went to Dallas and ruined the league's best offense while subsequently Boston crawled from 17 games under .500 to make the playoffs.

ROndo's still capable of putting up those empty stats. Why wouldn't he?  He's the same player as he's always been.  But the Kings are 6 games under .500 and Rondo still has the same flaws.   Credit him for the stats.  Credit him for the Kings only being 1.5 games out of sneaking into the playoffs.  Credit him for hitting threes this year at a surprising clip... but let's not pretend like there's something new to learn about the guy at this point.   Teams need to cater to him for him to be successful.   The Kings are one of the two worst-managed franchises in the league...  if they were a well run team, ROndo wouldn't even be getting this opportunity to inflate stats.  Who knows how long it will last.   Most modern offenses are built around ball movement and shooting... we have plenty of proof that Rondo is incapable of playing that style.  He's a relic of a forgotten time in the same way Kobe Bryant jacking up 30 shots a night is a relic of a forgotten time.  Enjoy it while it lasts.       

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
But seriously here's little song for us CELTICS fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8

No matter who our favorite player(s) are...no matter how we feel about Rondo.... ;D ;)

At the end of the day, we ALL want BOS's success. Rajon Rondo has been a KEY part of that success over the last few years, 2009-12.

We can all agree on that at least, right.............?

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
They are actually inching towards .500 which is good for Rondo... and I guess bad for our hopes of landing Cousins.

I never doubted Rondo's ability to rack up stats on a system that catered to him.  As long as he's playing big minutes and controlling the ball at all times, he can be a statistical beast. 

If you intend to run a modern "pace-and-space" offense built around ball movement and shooting, Rondo will prove to be a liability.  It was clear that we were better without him 3 years in a row and instead of seeing him successfully adapt to playing Brad's system, Boston basically just let Rondo keep doing Rondo things during his final days... to the detriment of the team and the system they were trying to implement.   Then he ends up in Dallas... which was at the time the shining example of a "pace and space" offense... and Rondo was predictably a disaster.

But as long as you give him the keys and let him run the show, he'll get you lots of assists.  His 35% three point shooting deserves credit.   Shooting 50% from the line and his team being 6 games under .500 is a problem, but they are actually 1.5 games out of the playoffs.

The years we "were worse with Rondo" were ones where he was recovering from knee surgery, right?

I seem to recall that the team actually got better when Rondo went out the year he got injured, too, though I also recall that there was a lot of controversy at the time about why that might be.
Yep. There were quite a few words spilled over this exact issue. The facts showed the celtics winning more games without rondo, aNd a higher winning percentage, than with him. He was healthy for a fair amount of this.

It's because Rondo was chasing an assist streak, the offense was predictable and his stats were empty.   As soon as healthy Rondo went down, the ball flowed through Pierce, the team started sharing the ball and hitting shots, and we crawled from a below .500 team to making the playoffs.  It was the first sign of many that the team played better without him.   The point was hammered home when Rondo went to Dallas and ruined the league's best offense while subsequently Boston crawled from 17 games under .500 to make the playoffs.

ROndo's still capable of putting up those empty stats. Why wouldn't he?  He's the same player as he's always been.  But the Kings are 6 games under .500 and Rondo still has the same flaws.   Credit him for the stats.  Credit him for the Kings only being 1.5 games out of sneaking into the playoffs.  Credit him for hitting threes this year at a surprising clip... but let's not pretend like there's something new to learn about the guy at this point.   Teams need to cater to him for him to be successful.   The Kings are one of the two worst-managed franchises in the league...  if they were a well run team, ROndo wouldn't even be getting this opportunity to inflate stats.  Who knows how long it will last.   Most modern offenses are built around ball movement and shooting... we have plenty of proof that Rondo is incapable of playing that style.  He's a relic of a forgotten time in the same way Kobe Bryant jacking up 30 shots a night is a relic of a forgotten time.  Enjoy it while it lasts.     

Rondo is clearly not the reason the Kings are sub .500

He's been their most productive and consistent player all year.

Injuries and immaturity and coaching/player chemsitry issues plus a zero defense mentality is why that team struggles so much to win games.

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2016, 08:49:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Injuries and immaturity and coaching/player chemsitry issues plus a zero defense mentality is why that team struggles so much to win games.
all true but that won't stop LB from bashing Rondo any chance he gets.

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
http://hoopshype.com/2016/01/03/is-rajon-rondo-really-helping-the-kings/

More rondo plays, the worse off his team is.
Which a lot of people choose to ignore.

Yes, I always use hoopshype as my trusted source............................... ::)

Sure -- blame hoops hype for your denial. Whatever works.

You're the one who quoted hoopshype, not I..

I'm not blaming anyone, lol

What can't be denied, though - is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOg9CG7_iTA

...and what also can't be denied is that those who are cheering for him don't blog.

And what about winning? That of any value to you? Hard to deny Rondo adversely affects his team's ability to do so, which is why I find it so tiresome to see daily threads about him "filling stats" or "ballin".

When Rondo doesn't play, his team gets better. Simple as that.

If you're looking for people who'll deny that Rondo adversely affects his team's ability to win, start with every nba coach he's had except for Carlisle. Hard to deny that based on the number of minutes they all play him. Too bad they don't have as much insight into how to win games in the nba as you do.

Sure. Coaches were lining up this offseason to bring him in, when he could be had for a song. In reality, it took a desperate, completely misguided organization to ensure he had any NBA home.

You are a Rondo fan, so you don't like the facts I'm talking about. You're a nonobjective observer living in the 2008 past who can't accept them.

Its very simple. High usage Rondo = losing. Make any excuse you want, and it won't matter because this is the truth. What's worse, that he's a childish brat adds insult to injury, making the guy a detriment to his team not just on the court, but off it.

Sure, read the rather childish rant you just wrote and then start talking about being objective. And it's not really the 2008 past, it's more the 2009-2013 knee injury past. I'm guessing your post-2008 "completely desperate, misguided organizations" included all those years on the Celts? Again, Doc and Brad didn't understand basketball as well as you, so that's why he played so many minutes?

More fluff and denial. Misquoting me won't help.

If you can't answer the question, just say so.

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2016, 09:25:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

You're actually dead wrong.

"The Kings have been pretty bad with Rondo on the court. The team has been outscored by 5.4 points per 100 possessions with Rondo on the floor, and surprisingly (for some) the Kings have actually outscored teams by 1.5 points without Rondo – equivalent to the difference in net rating between the Chicago Bulls and the New Orleans Pelicans.

For comparison, the Kings are 8.2 points better with Cousins on the court than with him on the bench."

So, in point of fact, the Kings improve when Rondo sits.

Now how about on the Mavs?

"Dallas was off to a 19-8 start with a historically elite offensive rating of 113.6 points per 100 possessions before the trade, but there was a consensus opinion within the organization that they needed to upgrade from Nelson, particularly defensively, to have a legitimate chance to be a Western Conference contender.

The Mavs averaged only 101.7 points per 100 possessions and had a negative net rating with Rondo on the floor."

Same deal. He dramatically hurt their offense -- liberal passing was replaced with his 15-second-of-shot-clock-pounding-at-the-top-of-the-key-looking-for-his-assist -- then pouted and was let go before his contract was finished.

None of this is news. Why is it so hard to accept? Is that behind the back fake really that exciting still? Or maybe folks like the fact that he tried to belittle the Celtics organization on his way out. Or that we was suspended by the league recently for being a bigot.

It's bizarre.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:42:44 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

It's because Rondo was chasing an assist streak, the offense was predictable and his stats were empty.   As soon as healthy Rondo went down, the ball flowed through Pierce, the team started sharing the ball and hitting shots, and we crawled from a below .500 team to making the playoffs. 

Another way of looking at it is the team went on a brief run after Rondo went down until teams adjusted to our change in style, then reverted to playing worse than we did with Rondo in the lineup, and followed that up in the playoffs by putting up some historically bad offensive numbers against a below average defensive team (which obviously happened with the ball flowing through Pierce). Both descriptions of the season are equally accurate. The team was struggling through the regular season (for the 4th year in a row or so) but without Rondo giving them the lift in the playoffs he always did the team was lucky to avoid being swept in the first round.

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline saynomore

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15
Empty stat WOW such a genius argument these days, specially now when it's nothing more to say, cause his game right now aren't bad as it was [in Dallas]. Does such players as Anthony Davis or John Wall producing empty stat as well while being in average teams? Does Kyrie Irving is a bad player cause he never would reach playoffs without LeBron? Does CP3 numbers makes sense if this dude can't reach the 2nd round? I mean it's all nothing if you aren't winning, but let's blame only Rondo, right? Mike Conley is waaaay better player and very underated (I'm judging by the threads here), but at some point, what does he won so far being at Grizzlies and why does his stat aren't empty? So annoying
If you voted for Rondo (back in 2011-2012) for all star - did you voted for a player with emptiest stat so why?

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

It's because Rondo was chasing an assist streak, the offense was predictable and his stats were empty.   As soon as healthy Rondo went down, the ball flowed through Pierce, the team started sharing the ball and hitting shots, and we crawled from a below .500 team to making the playoffs. 

Another way of looking at it is the team went on a brief run after Rondo went down until teams adjusted to our change in style, then reverted to playing worse than we did with Rondo in the lineup, and followed that up in the playoffs by putting up some historically bad offensive numbers against a below average defensive team (which obviously happened with the ball flowing through Pierce). Both descriptions of the season are equally accurate. The team was struggling through the regular season (for the 4th year in a row or so) but without Rondo giving them the lift in the playoffs he always did the team was lucky to avoid being swept in the first round.

The biggest adjustment post "brief run" was that Doc selected Avery Bradley as the sole PG and gave him PG duties instead of doing what we were doing during the run. No PG play, move the ball, rebound and run and pass down the floor.

But for some reason Doc had the brain fart of an idea that he'd try to make Avery Bradley a PG again, and everything stalled since. Not only that, Bradley started focusing so much on trying to run the point which he was incapable of doing that he lost a lot of focus on the defensive end.

So in my view it wasn't about teams adjusting to us, but Doc having one of his best brain fart moments.

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 12:30:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The biggest adjustment post "brief run" was that Doc selected Avery Bradley as the sole PG and gave him PG duties instead of doing what we were doing during the run. No PG play, move the ball, rebound and run and pass down the floor.

But for some reason Doc had the brain fart of an idea that he'd try to make Avery Bradley a PG again, and everything stalled since. Not only that, Bradley started focusing so much on trying to run the point which he was incapable of doing that he lost a lot of focus on the defensive end.

So in my view it wasn't about teams adjusting to us, but Doc having one of his best brain fart moments.

When Rondo went down the entire team started pushing the ball up and getting into the offense quickly (ironically, as opposed to Rondo being the only one trying to push the pace before). Teams adjusted to that and forced us to play some half court basketball against set defenses, which we had trouble doing without Rondo. Of course there were other reasons the team struggled while Rondo was playing (injuries and the like) but it's probably not worth re-hashing at this point in time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:00:15 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

When Rondo went down the entire team started pushing the ball up and getting into the offense quickly (ironically, as opposed to Rondo being the only one trying to push the pace before). Teams adjusted to that and forced us to play some half court basketball against set defenses, which we had trouble doing without Rondo. Of course there were other reasons the team struggled while Rondo was playing (injuries and the like) but it's probably not worth re-hashing at this point in time.

And coincidentally it all began when Bradley was given PG duties...right...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:21:52 PM by BudweiserCeltic »