Author Topic: rondo filling up stats  (Read 8884 times)

Re: rondo filling up stats
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:09:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
http://hoopshype.com/2016/01/03/is-rajon-rondo-really-helping-the-kings/

More rondo plays, the worse off his team is.
Which a lot of people choose to ignore.

Yes, I always use hoopshype as my trusted source............................... ::)

Sure -- blame hoops hype for your denial. Whatever works.

You're the one who quoted hoopshype, not I..

I'm not blaming anyone, lol

What can't be denied, though - is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOg9CG7_iTA

...and what also can't be denied is that those who are cheering for him don't blog.

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 11:23:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Yes, I always use hoopshype as my trusted source............................... ::)

...and what also can't be denied is that those who are cheering for him don't blog.

And what about winning? That of any value to you? Hard to deny Rondo adversely affects his team's ability to do so, which is why I find it so tiresome to see daily threads about him "filling stats" or "ballin".

When Rondo doesn't play, his team gets better. Simple as that.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 11:41:33 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
No Rondo, no winning tonight.  Kings blow a 7 pt lead with 1:20 to go in 2nd OT. 

Dallas zombie just won't die.

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 12:04:54 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

And what about winning? That of any value to you? Hard to deny Rondo adversely affects his team's ability to do so, which is why I find it so tiresome to see daily threads about him "filling stats" or "ballin".

I don't think it's so simple. Teams need leaders.  Rondo is a leader.  I agree he is not meant for a Brad Steven's style offense.  And I agree that when he doesn't have excellent players around him he can turn into a ball dominating stat machine who doesn't/can't push average players to victory, which is directly due to his strength (passing) and weakness (shooting). But guess what?  No PG can push a sucky team to victory.  Chris Paul has Griffin and Jordan and what has he done?  Westbrook has Durant, Ibaka, and now Kanter and Adams.  What has Westbrook done in terms of winning important games at important times of the year?  I agree both Paul and Westbrook could push a sucky team further than Rondo.  They are great players and great offense stars.  But so what?  What good is that if they can't lead a great team with other great players to the promised land?

The Kings almost have a team that could enable Rondo's true greatness to re-emerge. But Gay is not good enough and the starting SG is a hindrance (not saying he sucks but he's not ready).  Right now Rondo's greatness is only partly emerged because his team isn't quite ready. The Kings are such that Collison may help them win more games than Rondo can, just with shooting alone,  But Collison is not the player who will take a more talented team and put it on his back in the playoffs.  Rondo will if he gets the chance.

Rondo's skill set requires a strong match.  This can be seen as a weakness, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have greatness in him.  When there is the right match he is an absolute great and extraordinary player.  I don't know why people need to deny it.  Look at his Boston playoff numbers.  He did things no Celtic has ever done.  Those were not empty playoff stats.  He passed the eye test too.  He engages in all facets (and moments) of the game like very few players even know how to.  As great a player as Lebron James lamented not being able to deal with Rondo's game.

The only difference between the guy who led the Shaq-at-Center Celtics to one of the better starts in NBA history and Rondo today is age, injury history and miles (minutes played).  With those factors he may not get back to what he was.  But why not leave the door open that on the right team he could do great things again?  And I mean in the playoffs.

Good luck to Westbrook and Chris Paul. They still haven't had Rondo level success.  Bigger stars due to offense? yes.  Better leaders for a team stacked with offense?  No.  Not yet at least.

Leadership is not quantifiable.

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7

I don't think it's so simple. Teams need leaders.  Rondo is a leader.  I agree he is not meant for a Brad Steven's style offense.  And I agree that when he doesn't have excellent players around him he can turn into a ball dominating stat machine who doesn't/can't push average players to victory, which is directly due to his strength (passing) and weakness (shooting). But guess what?  No PG can push a sucky team to victory.  Chris Paul has Griffin and Jordan and what has he done?  Westbrook has Durant, Ibaka, and now Kanter and Adams.  What has Westbrook done in terms of winning important games at important times of the year?  I agree both Paul and Westbrook could push a sucky team further than Rondo.  They are great players and great offense stars.  But so what?  What good is that if they can't lead a great team with other great players to the promised land?

The Kings almost have a team that could enable Rondo's true greatness to re-emerge. But Gay is not good enough and the starting SG is a hindrance (not saying he sucks but he's not ready).  Right now Rondo's greatness is only partly emerged because his team isn't quite ready. The Kings are such that Collison may help them win more games than Rondo can, just with shooting alone,  But Collison is not the player who will take a more talented team and put it on his back in the playoffs.  Rondo will if he gets the chance.

Rondo's skill set requires a strong match.  This can be seen as a weakness, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have greatness in him.  When there is the right match he is an absolute great and extraordinary player.  I don't know why people need to deny it.  Look at his Boston playoff numbers.  He did things no Celtic has ever done.  Those were not empty playoff stats.  He passed the eye test too.  He engages in all facets (and moments) of the game like very few players even know how to.  As great a player as Lebron James lamented not being able to deal with Rondo's game.

The only difference between the guy who led the Shaq-at-Center Celtics to one of the better starts in NBA history and Rondo today is age, injury history and miles (minutes played).  With those factors he may not get back to what he was.  But why not leave the door open that on the right team he could do great things again?  And I mean in the playoffs.

Good luck to Westbrook and Chris Paul. They still haven't had Rondo level success.  Bigger stars due to offense? yes.  Better leaders for a team stacked with offense?  No.  Not yet at least.

Gay isn't good enough for what?

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 12:21:44 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Gay isn't good enough for what?

I think Gay is a good asset.  So picking on him was not really necessary.  But I don't think he provides enough intangibles.  I'm not saying get rid of Gay, I'm saying add some dudes with great defense and intangibles to the Kings and then they'd be a special team (mostly due to Boogie Rondo leadership tandem and Boogie's awesome talent).

Examples:  Add Bradley and James Posey circa whatever.  Add Smart or Oladipo at SG.  Add K. Leanord.  The Kings offsesason will be one of the more interesting imo.

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 12:44:41 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

The funny thing about results is that they're finite -- they speak for themselves, if you will. In other words, they're really not debatable.

If Rondo's teams improve when he disappears, then they do. That's it. No fan talk can wish those results away.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »

Offline saynomore

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15

I couldn't say it better! Last year, since Dallas has failed in a playoffs basically everyone here told me what there's no more awfully point guard in the entire NBA than Rondo. Some also said what they always believed what Chris Paul is the number one pg ever and can't even be compared to Rondo. I asked them - why so? Why some flopper has to be on a another level and Rondo has to move to China.. meanwhile CP3 without big three can't pass 2nd round either, so he can win it all alone. Besides, Blake Griffin is an all star player.. but some users here insisted what Blake aren't so great.. and now people seriously would say what Gay is a decent small forward? Maybe you would say what Gay is a better player than Griffin? I mean it's ridicilous. The level of hating on Rondo is ridiculous. Gay has ups and downs and he can't be reliable at some point, win big game, in clutch situations he rather lose the ball.
Anyways my applause to you, such a great post. Yeah, Rondo aren't perfect and he had some bad situations in Dallas or whatever.. but in Boston he clearly done so much greatest things against LeBron and other players.

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If you're looking for people who'll deny that Rondo adversely affects his team's ability to win, start with every nba coach he's had except for Carlisle. Hard to deny that based on the number of minutes they all play him. Too bad they don't have as much insight into how to win games in the nba as you do.

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

If you're looking for people who'll deny that Rondo adversely affects his team's ability to win, start with every nba coach he's had except for Carlisle. Hard to deny that based on the number of minutes they all play him. Too bad they don't have as much insight into how to win games in the nba as you do.

Sure. Coaches were lining up this offseason to bring him in, when he could be had for a song. In reality, it took a desperate, completely misguided organization to ensure he had any NBA home.

You are a Rondo fan, so you don't like the facts I'm talking about. You're a nonobjective observer living in the 2008 past who can't accept them.

Its very simple. High usage Rondo = losing. Make any excuse you want, and it won't matter because this is the truth. What's worse, that he's a childish brat adds insult to injury, making the guy a detriment to his team not just on the court, but off it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Sure. Coaches were lining up this offseason to bring him in, when he could be had for a song. In reality, it took a desperate, completely misguided organization to ensure he had any NBA home.

You are a Rondo fan, so you don't like the facts I'm talking about. You're a nonobjective observer living in the 2008 past who can't accept them.

Its very simple. High usage Rondo = losing. Make any excuse you want, and it won't matter because this is the truth. What's worse, that he's a childish brat adds insult to injury, making the guy a detriment to his team not just on the court, but off it.

Sure, read the rather childish rant you just wrote and then start talking about being objective. And it's not really the 2008 past, it's more the 2009-2013 knee injury past. I'm guessing your post-2008 "completely desperate, misguided organizations" included all those years on the Celts? Again, Doc and Brad didn't understand basketball as well as you, so that's why he played so many minutes?

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 05:04:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Whuh?

So, how many minutes did he play per game when he suited up for The Boston Celtics? Especially during the 2009-12 seasons?

We won a good amount and would've won more, if not for that fateful game in Utah in 2008-09 season.

And Rondo would've been a part of it...a BIG part, much to the chagrin of the haters.

And yes - he was injured - a LOT. He's back to normal now, as we can all see.

And I'm happy for him.

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The vitriol seems even creepier now that Rondo is long gone.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 05:11:37 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Sure, read the rather childish rant you just wrote and then start talking about being objective. And it's not really the 2008 past, it's more the 2009-2013 knee injury past. I'm guessing your post-2008 "completely desperate, misguided organizations" included all those years on the Celts? Again, Doc and Brad didn't understand basketball as well as you, so that's why he played so many minutes?

More fluff and denial. Misquoting me won't help.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)