Author Topic: rondo filling up stats  (Read 8828 times)

Re: rondo filling up stats
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 06:54:18 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
They are actually inching towards .500 which is good for Rondo... and I guess bad for our hopes of landing Cousins.

I never doubted Rondo's ability to rack up stats on a system that catered to him.  As long as he's playing big minutes and controlling the ball at all times, he can be a statistical beast. 

If you intend to run a modern "pace-and-space" offense built around ball movement and shooting, Rondo will prove to be a liability.  It was clear that we were better without him 3 years in a row and instead of seeing him successfully adapt to playing Brad's system, Boston basically just let Rondo keep doing Rondo things during his final days... to the detriment of the team and the system they were trying to implement.   Then he ends up in Dallas... which was at the time the shining example of a "pace and space" offense... and Rondo was predictably a disaster.

But as long as you give him the keys and let him run the show, he'll get you lots of assists.  His 35% three point shooting deserves credit.   Shooting 50% from the line and his team being 6 games under .500 is a problem, but they are actually 1.5 games out of the playoffs.

Perfect analogy...

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
They are actually inching towards .500 which is good for Rondo... and I guess bad for our hopes of landing Cousins.

I never doubted Rondo's ability to rack up stats on a system that catered to him.  As long as he's playing big minutes and controlling the ball at all times, he can be a statistical beast. 

If you intend to run a modern "pace-and-space" offense built around ball movement and shooting, Rondo will prove to be a liability.  It was clear that we were better without him 3 years in a row and instead of seeing him successfully adapt to playing Brad's system, Boston basically just let Rondo keep doing Rondo things during his final days... to the detriment of the team and the system they were trying to implement.   Then he ends up in Dallas... which was at the time the shining example of a "pace and space" offense... and Rondo was predictably a disaster.

But as long as you give him the keys and let him run the show, he'll get you lots of assists.  His 35% three point shooting deserves credit.   Shooting 50% from the line and his team being 6 games under .500 is a problem, but they are actually 1.5 games out of the playoffs.

The years we "were worse with Rondo" were ones where he was recovering from knee surgery, right?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 07:19:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The years we "were worse with Rondo" were ones where he was recovering from knee surgery, right?

I seem to recall that the team actually got better when Rondo went out the year he got injured, too, though I also recall that there was a lot of controversy at the time about why that might be.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 07:24:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He seems happy, HEALTHY and in a better place.

Truly happy for him and his new team.

Hope they continue to get better and go far.

Thanks for the memories in Boston, Rondo.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I agree that he needs particular players around him that cater to his passing ability (shooters), but that's why he was so good with the big 3. But I disagree that he 'needs' the ball in the manner you describe it. Now if you want to say he needs to control the offense (and have the right kind of shooters around him), then that's more the way I think he should be viewed.

We were a space and shoot team when we won the 'ship, all the way till the
 day KG and Pierce were sent out.
For a few years there we were the number one jump shooting team in the NBA and it was Rondo's penetration+kicks, Rondo swinging of the ball and general control of the offense that made us so good.
Rondo caught fire vs the Heat, but we had Bass and KG who were literally the two best jumpshooters in the league from 10-15 feet, with Pierce and Ray who were excellent 3 point shooters.

I went down and back for the last 6 games of the 2012 Heat playoff series, and remember how much our space and swinging was affecting the Heat's number 1 ranked defense.

Rondo shooting three's at 40% was helpful too, but his control of the offense, combined with KG drinking from the Gatorade fountain of youth, was the main reason we even came close- at least in terms of things that our team could personally control. (eg it helped that Bosh was out too).

He's shooting 35% from three this season too, on 2 attempts per game, so he's obviously worked on his shooting from deep.

He'll always be a flawed player, but he's still arguably the best pass first point guard in the NBA, and he's only started to show signs of his pre injury self in the last 25 games of his career.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I seem to recall that the team actually got better when Rondo went out the year he got injured, too, though I also recall that there was a lot of controversy at the time about why that might be.

There were certainly a number of theories as too why.  One of them being that the entire rest of the team played like crap to start that season.  Rondo was pretty much the only guy who showed up to start the season.  Yet, he took the brunt of the blame for not being able to carry them to more wins.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
He seems happy, HEALTHY and in a better place.

Truly happy for him and his new team.

Hope they continue to get better and go far.

Thanks for the memories in Boston, Rondo.

Tp
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:15:28 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Yep. There were quite a few words spilled over this exact issue. The facts showed the celtics winning more games without rondo, aNd a higher winning percentage, than with him. He was healthy for a fair amount of this.

As to why, as brought out by pho, each poster's opinion held sway.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 09:36:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Why is Rondo not playing against the Mavs?

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Back issues.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
http://hoopshype.com/2016/01/03/is-rajon-rondo-really-helping-the-kings/

More rondo plays, the worse off his team is.
Which a lot of people choose to ignore.

Well Rondo at one point consistently played almost entire games, of course the stats may point to him "hurting" the team especially when Cousins and his backups were out an extended period of time.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 10:04:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Yes, I always use hoopshype as my trusted source............................... ::)

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 10:59:24 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Yes, I always use hoopshype as my trusted source............................... ::)

Sure -- blame hoops hype for your denial. Whatever works.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)