Author Topic: Brandon Ingram looking like legit franchise player?  (Read 12929 times)

Re: Brandon Ingram looking like legit franchise player?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
I'm pretty sure that drafting a player with BKN 16 pick is Danny's last choice... not that I'm for it but he's gonna trade it for a proven player, a star player, before the deadline...
My desire would be to keep either Ingram or Simmons if the Celtics were able to land either of the first 2 picks and slowly integrate them into the lineup.Their numbers would suffer compared to being given free reign on a squad like this years Twolves or Sixers for example, but in the long run it would help them to become better players having to fight for their minutes instead of just being gifted them.
Have the best of both worlds continue on an upward winning trend while developing hopefully a legit star in a couple of years.

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2016, 12:32:54 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I agree that we shouldn't break this team unless a Westbrook becomes available.

Take Simmons or Ingram if we get the first or second picks and keep building.

We also have a ton of potential cap space to make another move in the summer.

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
He just continues to impress.
He's aggressive driving to the hole, and he's so long and wide that it seems impossible that he'll be a bust.

Who is a comparison for this guy?
He's different to Durant because he's smoother, like Paul Pierce.

He's like a mix of Durant's length, with Grant Hill's athleticism, and Paul Pierce's composure.
Not to put any pressure on him or anything  :P

Vs Miami on Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwMTW5Xs_8
Kawhi Leonard

I think he's much more natural on offense than Leonard though. He's got a Paul Pierce level of ball control and fluidity that I've never seen on a guy with that length.
He's just so technically solid and is a complete triple threat.

Ya Dennis998 don't see Kawhi Leonard at all. Ingram is all about the shiftyness, he regularly busts out moves Kawhi would never try.

https://youtu.be/-34Va1EWlC8

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2016, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
He's aggressive driving to the hole, and he's so long and wide that it seems impossible that he'll be a bust.

He's like a mix of Durant's length, with Grant Hill's athleticism, and Paul Pierce's composure.

Vs Miami on Friday

Kawhi Leonard

I think he's much more natural on offense than Leonard though. He's got a Paul Pierce level of ball control and fluidity that I've never seen on a guy with that length.

Ya Dennis998 don't see Kawhi Leonard at all. Ingram is all about the shiftyness, he regularly busts out moves Kawhi would never try.

Dunno about that last comment you made but Ingram is looking better as the season goes on. Real nice release and has great body control for such a slender frame.

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2016, 01:02:49 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Vs Miami on Friday

Kawhi Leonard

Dunno about that last comment you made but Ingram is looking better as the season goes on. Real nice release and has great body control for such a slender frame.

Ya I guess that video didn't really showcase the shiftyness. I meant drives like this...
https://youtu.be/tzu-xnrM6YI

Nothing against Kawhi, he dominates in different ways(set 3's, strait line drives, mid range squared up shots) but I just don't think he has the kind of scoring touch or shifty footwork that Ingram does.

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2016, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm pretty sure that drafting a player with BKN 16 pick is Danny's last choice... not that I'm for it but he's gonna trade it for a proven player, a star player, before the deadline...

I wouldn't be so sure of that happening.
I mean I agree that he will try his best to get a top 10-15 player, but where's that player coming from?
We've also seen rumors of him aggressively going after draftees like Okafur and Winslow, so he's obviously not afraid to put big stock into draftees at the top of the board.

My bet is that he'd actually give up anything to get Ingram if we can't get Simmons- I mean he'd put everyone on the table to move up and get him from #3 or #4.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Vs Miami on Friday

Kawhi Leonard

Ya I guess that video didn't really showcase the shiftyness. I meant drives like this...
https://youtu.be/tzu-xnrM6YI

Nothing against Kawhi, he dominates in different ways(set 3's, strait line drives, mid range squared up shots) but I just don't think he has the kind of scoring touch or shifty footwork that Ingram does.
Reminds me of a taller Josh Childress with a smoother release.

The more I watch, the more I see why he could sneak up as the first pick.

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 05:52:51 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Brandon-Ingram-vs-Louisville-Video-Breakdown-5365/

Nice breakdown of Ingram's game against Louisville. Seems to be a very complete offensive player already, very smooth in his movement and good at attacking the rim. Lacks the strength at the moment to utilise himself well at the NBA level but certainly shows the capabilities.

I'm still of the view that Simmons is the better player and we should draft him if we got the 1st overall pick but Ingram looks like he'd be the better fit on our roster long term, a real go to scorer with the ball handling abilities to efficiently run the pick and roll with someone like KO. Add that to Isaiah and that's scary!

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 07:38:36 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I can't post the link now but check the Ingram threads in the past or search youtube. One of the reasons he stood out to me was when he was playing pg on AAU. His handles were great, his quickness was unreal for what he is, his passing ability was also impressive.

Please understand one thing: Ingram has abilities that IMO are not on display bc he is younger and needs time to physically catch up. We all know his main weakness is his weight/strength.

He has a longer wingspan than T-mac and is taller but he keeps the quickness.

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I can't post the link now but check the Ingram threads in the past or search youtube. One of the reasons he stood out to me was when he was playing pg on AAU. His handles were great, his quickness was unreal for what he is, his passing ability was also impressive.

Please understand one thing: Ingram has abilities that IMO are not on display bc he is younger and needs time to physically catch up. We all know his main weakness is his weight/strength.

He has a longer wingspan than T-mac and is taller but he keeps the quickness.
Agreed, we often talk about the top college prospects bulldozing their way over smaller competition, then struggling to adapt in the pros when everyone is taller and stronger. Ingram is experiencing some of that now because of his age so that could well benefit him down the road

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Ingram is starting to make this look like a two player draft instead of a one player draft.  Good stuff.
Even though I called it 2 years ago, it sucks having everyone talking about my guy and it gets me scared that we will miss him in the draft. Karl Towns flashbacks all-over again.

I get emotionally invested in these players and then they jump and I have to see them get drafted before our pick........it's very hard and causes conflict with other posters when they call me crazy for "trying to predict the future" and "I'm obsessed with potential"
Yea pretty much. It's ridiculous to make a move past offseason because there's someone you like in the '17 draft its stuff like that that makes people say you can't predict the future.
I've left more than enough proof to show who I picked and that it was years before they played a college game. I got crap from you and others for mentioning Ingrams name, and I mentioned it after every post because I knew this situation would happen, did the same thing with Towns.

There is a big differance between saying "I like so and so" and saying "This is the most underated player and he will be a top pick even though he is ranked 8th or 15th.

If you want to hold me to the fire: Dennis Smith Jr is who I predicted 2 years ago to be the top pick in 17'.

Anyways I'm sick of making bold predictions and being right aszll the time. How about you try? I bet you like some players but have no idea or time to scout them out or develop your own method. Please do post the next superstar 2-3 years in advance, at the end of each of your posts.
You seem to have a good mind about the draft sure.

I still think that calling it early is fairly meaningless. I mean great you picked who was gonna go # 1 really early thats genuinely impressive. I have  no problem with that. I dont even try to pretend I have real opinions on guys untill they get to college.

My problem has always been that you tend to lay out your plans like this.

Make move x this year, then in 2016 we select Brandon Ingram, the next season we select Thon Maker then make move Y, in the 2017 draft we add Dennis Smith Jr. then we have

Smith Jr
Smart/Hunter
then Ingram and Crowder can play the 3/4 combo
and then Maker.

In terms of scouting guys I think you are great I just think its a waste of time to name specific guys to pick in like 2 years. I mean Philly has tanked as hard as anyone and havent been able to get their hands on Wiggins or Towns.

Also, Ill give you Ingram, who was ranked #3 as early as this september, but last year was closer to 9-14.

However Towns was the #1 prospect for 2015 freshman when he reclassified to 2014 and became #3 (this was in December of 2012) behind Mudiay who got hurt and went to china which are pretty extreme circumstances and Okafor. You are no genius for finding him. Once again, props on Ingram, but relax on the I was on the Towns bandwagon before all of you schtick.

EDIT:

rereading my post, I think it comes off to aggressive. Basically i think you have conflated people "giving you crap" for your scouting and for the nature of your posts. In fact I dont look years into the future at all for drafts and I honestly took your scout report as all I knew about the guy. What I didnt like about your posts was that I feel like you often predicted the future in a sense calling for a very specific plan of action over the next 3 years and my gripe was: You cant predict this! maybe you can predict who will be the best prospect, but you cant predict how the lotto balls will fall, or where we will be in the draft, or if a player will suffer a massive injury or any of so many things. I mean how many teams "tanked for Wiggins"? a lot of teams neither named the Cavs nor the TWolves and none of them got him. Even now, the most expert mock drafts will be radically different from what the final draft board looks like.

so, final recap: your scouting = good(great even) job
your incredibly detailed 3 year predictions = a waste of time.
your cockiness = annoying
DRaftexpress and nbadraft.net had Towns going 15th or not even being one and done when his jr year tapes started coming out. Scouts were not high on Towns because they were concerned with his lower body and knees( think how Myles Turner dropped/was ripped apart because of lower body issues and possible injuries....but Towns did not run funny).
Kelly Oubre, Cliff Alexander Stanley Johnson Mario Henzoja Kristaps WCS were ahead of him and Myles Turner was actually the overall number 1 pick for some time as well, but that changed between Cliff and even Oubre at times. Also a couple ppl PM'ed me to talk about Towns and why he was not ranked higher, this was the summer going in to the 2014 draft. Maybe you saw something else or idk, but it was crazy to a few of us that the guy we saw in the videos with this crazy unique skill set and he won gatorade player of the year lol was not ranked on draftexpress and was only 15 on .net, we all contributed it to rumors about his knees/lower body....and hoped the celts could nab him especially because we hoped UK's frontcourt had older/stronger/bigger guys. I hoped the same for Ingram because of his lack of weight and such a young age, was hoping we could nab him like 6th because I was hoping he would struggle because of his strength and age....again screwed

btw I pick/"fall in love" with players that at the time were realistically draftable.....then I hope to hell they do not rise in the draft all that much.

I think you are mostly referring to a thread along the lines of "Build a dynasty through the next 3 years". LOL I needed to put a warning "do not read if you are not of the opinion that we should tank", Why do people need to even put up warnings its like Student Affairs warning students about micro-aggressions because a costume may offend them.

Honestly everyone is right I have been posting a certain way lately. And the reason/tipping point was when a new ish forum poster made a thread about tanking(before I read it I was like well here we go, hope he put a warning about micro-aggressions and/or trigger warning). I was disgusted how members on CB treated this new poster and even called him a BAD CELTIC'S FAN and said he was crazy and that he really should not post or learn how to post. This was coming from posters who had 18k+ posts and I can only imagine how crappy that could feel.
Anyways I messaged him and said to keep his head up it happens to me all the time and we all need to stick together. I also said that a few of the posters ripping him were some that were complete hypocrites and ripped me and they needed to be reminded of it.

don't watch baseball, football, hockey, or play video games. love the Celtics and its hard not to look into drafts and etc when the season is out. love basketball and evaluating prospects, the history of the draft,  looking into the future....hence my user name.
Your completely right about my posts and that I am more about the future than right now.

I talk to people that are not on these forums and a good amount of fans do not like the treadmill. I guess I stick up hard for my viewpoint bc as posters I think we make up less than 10% of CB and we actually have some form of responsibility to get our points across in order to speak for they people who literally just come on here to get Celts news and read the posts.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8708701/karl-towns-jr-gives-oral-commitment-kentucky-reclassified-junior

That's where I was getting my towns info, but I could be wrong I don't think About the draft until the college season before it starts so the info I get now is based on google searches.

Anyway let me reiterate. I don't mind ranking posts but if you make a post saying lets tank this year to get towns next year to get player x and then to get player y. I get frustrated because that's not likely to come to fruition. If it worked that way philly would have wiggins and towns

True. It works for NBA2k but not in the real life sadly. Players get unhappy with losing as well, same with coaches. It also hurts the team's chances of attracting FAs. Its good to be in the position of Minny, yes but LA and Philly tried harder and look what they got instead. Tanking for a year, sure why not, but to continuously do so AND propose to make the team worse by trading quality players for bad ones? No. And I am glad we have Ainge instead of an Armchair GM.

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 09:58:02 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I'd still take Simmons over Ingram. I'd be pretty happy if we land 2nd pick and end up with Ingram. Both these guys look like they could be elite players at the next level. I'm pretty sure Seattle/OKC wasn't too disappointed went Durant fell to the 2nd pick either.

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
In the mold of Dirk. Not Durant

You will need to ideally have a Tyson Chandler like center presence beside him