Author Topic: Give me your best Jabari Parker offer  (Read 22938 times)

Re: Give me your best Jabari Parker offer
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Avery Bradley + Dallas 2016 pick + Boston 2016 pick + James Young

Milwaukee gets a veteran starting SG to balance out their starting five. A player who is having the best season of his career and is a quality starter. And 3 first round caliber prospects to add quality youth to their team.
Seems like a pretty fair trade

Danny would likely do this deal, though he'd probably think about it harder than most would assume. But doubtful the Bucks would.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Question -- who is better: Derrick Williams or Jabari Parker?

Parker, obviously. He has that bright grin on his official pictures and is highly religious to boot, that's gotta count for something.

Other than being a squeakier wheel, they look a lot alike to me on the court. They certainly have more in common than they do in contrast.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Compared to other one-and-done Dookies, Parker is more likely to end up as valuable as Austin Rivers than he is to end up as valuable as Kyrie Irving.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Compared to other one-and-done Dookies, Parker is more likely to end up as valuable as Austin Rivers than he is to end up as valuable as Kyrie Irving.

I think this is an interesting part of it. If Parker had gone to -- say -- UNLV (ala Bennett), how much quicker would folks be to judge him as a relative bust? Perhaps, even unfairly?

To me, there's always an underlying "he played for Coach K he must be a good kid who does things the right way" thing with all mediocre Duke NBA guys.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I think this is an interesting part of it. If Parker had gone to -- say -- UNLV (ala Bennett), how much quicker would folks be to judge him as a relative bust? Perhaps, even unfairly?

To me, there's always an underlying "he played for Coach K he must be a good kid who does things the right way" thing with all mediocre Duke NBA guys.

I thought he had solid bust potential before the draft.  I'm not a fan of guys with a scorer mentality, poor shot selection, and questionable defense, especially if they are seen as lacking lateral quickness.  I might take a risk on someone like that with a late first, but I hate using high lottery picks on players like that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I thought he had solid bust potential before the draft.  I'm not a fan of guys with a scorer mentality, poor shot selection, and questionable defense, especially if they are seen as lacking lateral quickness.  I might take a risk on someone like that with a late first, but I hate using high lottery picks on players like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsk2OZfrdP0

You can't tell me hes a bust based on that videos... Hes incredibly quick on the fast break, and his handling is reminiscent of Melo. He also has a very nice step back, and an arsenal of offensive moves like hesitation crossover, pump fake to a nice fade away; etc.

Yes hes limited defensively, but this has been his glaring weakness for how many years? Everyone knew this coming in, unfortunately the Bucks aren't doing Parker justice by trying to get him involved in offense more. Hes most of the time sitting at the 3 pt line, even though as everyone has mentioned; he's 0-7.

If you compare his numbers to Melo, its actually pretty favorably similar, except Melo certainly has taken a great deal more shots than him.

I don't get why so many people are down on Parker. He has great rebounding instincts for his position, and a lack of offensive rhythm or dependency on him, probably leads to colder shooting touch, and decreased confidence.

Stevens would at least let him take those 3's, and want him to develop his game regardless of what weaknesses he has.

I like Jason Kidd, but it seems like he already has in his mind, what type of game, style, and system would fit him best, and chooses personnel and players based on that perquisite.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=parkeja01&p2=anthoca01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#per_game::none

I think this would be the perfect opportunity for Danny Ainge to try to pounce on Parker, and see if they would at least listen to an offer with AB, Dallas Maverick, a few second rounders for starters. I definitely wouldn't give this or next years Brooklyn pick, but maybe the 2018.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

You can't tell me hes a bust based on that videos... Hes incredibly quick on the fast break, and his handling is reminiscent of Melo. He also has a very nice step back, and an arsenal of offensive moves like hesitation crossover, pump fake to a nice fade away; etc.

Yes hes limited defensively, but this has been his glaring weakness for how many years? Everyone knew this coming in, unfortunately the Bucks aren't doing Parker justice by trying to get him involved in offense more. Hes most of the time sitting at the 3 pt line, even though as everyone has mentioned; he's 0-7.

If you compare his numbers to Melo, its actually pretty favorably similar, except Melo certainly has taken a great deal more shots than him.

I don't get why so many people are down on Parker. He has great rebounding instincts for his position, and a lack of offensive rhythm or dependency on him, probably leads to colder shooting touch, and decreased confidence.

Stevens would at least let him take those 3's, and want him to develop his game regardless of what weaknesses he has.

I like Jason Kidd, but it seems like he already has in his mind, what type of game, style, and system would fit him best, and chooses personnel and players based on that perquisite.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=parkeja01&p2=anthoca01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#per_game::none

I think this would be the perfect opportunity for Danny Ainge to try to pounce on Parker, and see if they would at least listen to an offer with AB, Dallas Maverick, a few second rounders for starters. I definitely wouldn't give this or next years Brooklyn pick, but maybe the 2018.

I don't like Melo.  Defense is more important to me than highlight reel scoring.  Right now, I wouldn't trade Bradley straight up for Parker.

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2016, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

I don't like Melo.  Defense is more important to me than highlight reel scoring.  Right now, I wouldn't trade Bradley straight up for Parker.

Lemme guess. You don't like IT as well?
- LilRip

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:31 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Lemme guess. You don't like IT as well?

I am okay with IT.  He may not be a good defender, but he tries.

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't get it.  You have some people criticizing Ainge for getting IT at the deadline because we won a bunch of games and hurt our draft pick.  But then people (in another thread) criticize potential trades for Okafor who was a top draft pick because he is not that good.  I don't want to trade for Okafor but why oh why did we blow our chance at Myles Turner?

Now when considering the chance to trade IT for Parker, people say, no way, IT is too good, we can't trade him for an under-achieving prospect.

That is the game with high draft picks.  You get guys like Okafor and Parker on a good day.  I don't see how you can be mad that we have IT because it cost us Turner while at the same time unwilling to trade IT for Parker.

If anyone can explain, it would be appreciated. 

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Parker is no where the passer or consistent scorer of Thomas .  Trading IT off sinks the team .

Parker would not hurt ,  but neither can he step,into ITs shoes either .  We would drop off significantly ....... Parker is not close to being any kind of star.

Trading IT off is saying I want to tank and not make the playoffs .

Sounds like what your saying to me . 

« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2016, 05:39:53 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Avery Bradley + Dallas 2016 pick + Boston 2016 pick + James Young

Milwaukee gets a veteran starting SG to balance out their starting five. A player who is having the best season of his career and is a quality starter. And 3 first round caliber prospects to add quality youth to their team.
Seems like a pretty fair trade

Danny would likely do this deal, though he'd probably think about it harder than most would assume. But doubtful the Bucks would.

I thing Danny would laugh and hang up. 

Right now Avery Bradley is about 3x better than Jabari Parker,  there is no way I would trade him for Parker straight up and I don't think Danny would either.  That AB/Crowder bulldog defense is a HUGE reason why:

1) We can afford to start IT and give him a huge role
2) This team is one of the top defensive teams in the NBA

We have such a good record because we are a good defensive team AND a pretty good offensive team.  When our offense isn't falling, sometimes we can still win games with our defense.

Trade Bradley for Parker and everything falls apart.

Do you remember how badly this team was playing, and how much we were struggling, back when Bradley was out due to injury?  We were playing like a fringe lottery team. 

Yeah I know Smart can make up for the loss of Bradley defensively, but then you have two other issues:

1) This weakens the strength our second unit, which has been a huge reason for our recent success

2) Smart still has to develop offensively, and doesn't offer the scoring punch or the shooting ability of Bradley - which is critical in creating space for Thomas. 

Bradley is such an important player to this team, and to Thomas.  Bradley's ability as a shooter forces teams to defend him (and Crowder) on the perimeter, which stops teams from being able to crowd the paint against Thomas' penetration.  Bradley's defensive ability (along with Crowder's) on the perimeter also makes up for Thomas' defensive limitations, hence allowing us to be able to use Thomas as a core guy in our starting lineup (and our go-to scorer).

Without Thomas this team struggles badly to generate points, so it's absolutely critical for this team to be able to have Thomas on the court in order for us to be able to win games at a good rate.  Without him our offense is way to weak and we'll get spanked on a nightly basis.

This is why the 3+D capabilities of Bradley and Crowder are so critical to this team, because without those two guys on the court it makes it very hard to put Thomas on the court - and without Thomas on the court this team cannot score - and without scoring this team cannot win.

There is a reason this team is a 3rd seed despite not having tons of talent, and that is 'fit'.  Our guys fit together incredibly well, and this team is better than the sum of it's parts because of the way those parts interlink.  This team is a very efficient machine, and an efficient machine is system of parts that on their own don't achieve much, but when combined together can produce a specific result. Randomly taking one piece out of such a machine an replacing it with some other completely different type of part, may lead to the entire machine falling apart.

Avery Bradley happens to be a very core part of this 'machine' and core parts like him are the riskiest ones to try to replace - because he handles so much of the load that replacing him with somebody like Parker could (and probably would) make this team significantly worse.

I know the argument is about upside, but I don't buy that either.  Everybody on earth was saying that Jabari Parker was THE most NBA Ready player in this draft.  If there is anybody who should have come into the NBA ready to fire up from the get go, it should have been Parker.  Alas, he has been horrible (and that's not an exaggeration).

Danny already said that he's cautious about gambling away core players to pick up a star.  He'd be even more cautious about doing it to land a guy who everybody throught would be a star, but has shown nothing so far.  People will say "but he's sure to get better and will break out eventually".  People said the same about McLemore, and I still don't know if he's a legit starting caliber player years into his career.

I pass on an AB for Parker trade, and I think Danny passes too.  I think he definitely passes if you ask for two picks and a prospect too. 

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2016, 05:48:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
lol at not trading Bradley for Parker. I like Bradley too but that's some silliness right there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2016, 01:19:33 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why do we love to Overpay for other People's Crap?

10ppg.  11ppg. In two seasons averaging nearly 30 mpg.

Parker hasn't shown the improvement to merit this type of interest.
Hell, Evan Turner, looks like a better player right now!  Did you see what he did in OT Of the Clippers game?

When has Parker shown that wow, he's going to live up to his draft position games?

« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2016, 02:05:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Why do we love to Overpay for other People's Crap?

10ppg.  11ppg. In two seasons averaging nearly 30 mpg.

Parker hasn't shown the improvement to merit this type of interest.
Hell, Evan Turner, looks like a better player right now!  Did you see what he did in OT Of the Clippers game?

When has Parker shown that wow, he's going to live up to his draft position games?
Yeah.  Always funny when people write off 20 year old star prospects midway through a season returning from serious injury. 

Dunno, man... he's looked pretty wonderful recently.  36 points tonight.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlLoQfquaM

6 games since the all-star break he's averaged 22.8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists with 54% shooting.   

I would have gladly traded the Brooklyn pick for him.  Is that the kind of improvement you were waiting for?  Cuz typically when players show that kind of improvement, they aren't available.