Author Topic: Give me your best Jabari Parker offer  (Read 22943 times)

Re: Give me your best Jabari Parker offer
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I totally get the "no way I'd trade the Nets pick for Jabari Parker" stance... I'm just saying there's a good chance in retrospect that stance sounds completely moronic a year from now.
Sure. Parker is still only 20 and has a high ceiling. If that Nets pick winds up being the 6th and we draft wrong, then everyone will say "we should've traded it when we had the chance." That's in play. But we can only make decisions based on the information we have now. I'd rather take a shot at that Nets pick landing in the top 2 than gamble that Parker is going to be a great NBA player without having really shown any signs of that yet.

That said, I'd definitely gamble on Parker's development for a lower price.

Don't forget we also get two additional years of cost control by keeping the pick. Of course there is a chance that Jabari turns into a very good player, but I just think we should have at least seen some glimpses by now. Like I said before, the allure of the unknown high draft pick is certain to be worth more than the known, not very impressive [so far] Parker. A top three pick in this draft is way too high of a pick to trade for the current Parker. Smart is a much better prospect at this point.

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Reactions in this thread are interesting.   

It's because the Bucks are going nowhere.  If Parker was everything the positive reactions in this thread claimed he is, why would the Bucks of all teams want to move him?  Like you said, he is only 20.  It smells very fishy.

« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This is why I want to know where you guys think Jabari would go in this draft.  2nd?  3rd at worst ?  If that Brooklyn pick stands where it is, it's most likely not ending up top 2.  Wouldn't you have to give up that pick for Jabari if the Bucks wanted it?

Remember...he tore his ACL.  You can't play this 'where would he go in this draft' game when he was drafted already and had a severe lower leg injury that changes careers.

Guy is buried in the rotation of a crap team.  How good could he actually be?
buried in the rotation?  He starts for Milwaukee and plays 29 minutes a game.

So does OJ Mayo.  Must be comparable talents then.  Though 'buried' is too strong to describe that much run.

Edit: plus he has a -4 net rating.  We do not trade any top 3 pick for someone like that.

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Reactions in this thread are interesting.   

It's because the Bucks are going nowhere.  If Parker was everything the positive reactions in this thread claimed he is, why would the Bucks of all teams want to move him?  Like you said, he is only 20.  It smells very fishy.
This is a good point. Why would the Bucks let their 20 year old #2 overall prospect go midway through his sophomore year? If he can't shoot, he can't be a stretch 4 or a 3 and is too small to be a traditional 4. If he can't shoot now, does that mean he'll never be able to? Of course not, but if the early returns are that bad, you need to consider it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Question -- who is better: Derrick Williams or Jabari Parker?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd like him as backup sf to Crawford.  Not sure what his contract is but I'd go with James Young (prospect), worst 1st round pick we have, 2nd round pick (I think we have 30 of those) and a big....Lee? Three team deal?  Lee is guy to move unless it's sully if Ainge thinks he'll be too much $$

He is young and coming off surgery that takes a few years to properly heal.  Our sf depth is Crawford, turner and JJ.  Which means we have Crawford, turner is more a Sg and JJ more a small pf.

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2016, 07:19:01 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
If we don't get top two sell hat pick to the Highest bidder.

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2016, 08:56:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I totally get the "no way I'd trade the Nets pick for Jabari Parker" stance... I'm just saying there's a good chance in retrospect that stance sounds completely moronic a year from now.
Sure. Parker is still only 20 and has a high ceiling. If that Nets pick winds up being the 6th and we draft wrong, then everyone will say "we should've traded it when we had the chance." That's in play. But we can only make decisions based on the information we have now. I'd rather take a shot at that Nets pick landing in the top 2 than gamble that Parker is going to be a great NBA player without having really shown any signs of that yet.

That said, I'd definitely gamble on Parker's development for a lower price.

Don't forget we also get two additional years of cost control by keeping the pick. Of course there is a chance that Jabari turns into a very good player, but I just think we should have at least seen some glimpses by now.
Honest question... what kind of glimpses would you expect to see of him in game #71 of his career where mid-way through he had major reconstructive surgery?   His per-36 so far is 14.4 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.2 steals with 49%/17%/75%

His usage rate is 9th on his team.  He was drafted with the intention of being groomed to be a franchise player... the epicenter of an offense.  As far as I can tell, they haven't even attempted that yet.  And it makes some sense.  Michael Carter Williams is ball dominant.  Middleton is their best offensive player.  Monroe is a black hole.  Giannis has a huge role there.  OJ Mayo has a big role when he plays.  Parker was pegged as the next Melo/Pierce, but so far during what essentially is Jabari's rookie season, Jason Kidd sure hasn't given him a chance to play like that. 

Also, they took a major hit defensively this year.  Zaza Pachulia anchored their defense last year. Now they have a poor defender (Greg Monroe) playing center and Jabari Parker (not a great defender and probably not a power forward) playing PF.  It shouldn't surprise anyone they are struggling.  Too many offense-centric players that don't mesh on that team and not enough defense.

Now, I get that people will assume that's because Parker hasn't stepped up.  There's only so much a player can do without having plays run for him.  He could ignore his coach and try to take over, but that's not very realistic. 

In Pierce's prime he was top 4 in the league in usage (30+)...  Melo as a rookie had a usage of 26 (15th in the entire league)...  Jabari has a usage of 17. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:05:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

This explains why any GM who doesn't have ulcers isn't working hard enough.  There's always the chance of looking moronic. 
Yup

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Boston pick this year, boston pick next year (after Boston exercises rights to Nets swap), Terry Rozier

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Boston pick this year, boston pick next year (after Boston exercises rights to Nets swap), Terry Rozier

WOAH.  That '17 BKN pick could be pretty lofty. 

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Gotta give something to get something. I'd rather risk the BKN pick when we don't know how crappy it'll be vs the one we do. If they want the 2018, all the better. That's got late teens written all over it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2016, 11:28:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Gotta give something to get something. I'd rather risk the BKN pick when we don't know how crappy it'll be vs the one we do. If they want the 2018, all the better. That's got late teens written all over it.
If we were willing to give up 6 draft picks (4 first rounders ... including a Brooklyn 1st) to move up from #16 to #9 and select Winslow... what does that honestly put the trade value of Jabari at?   I heard Ainge loved Parker.

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2016, 12:06:15 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

If we were willing to give up 6 draft picks (4 first rounders ... including a Brooklyn 1st) to move up from #16 to #9 and select Winslow... what does that honestly put the trade value of Jabari at?   I heard Ainge loved Parker.

He obviously doesn't love Parker as much as he loved Winslow. He must've had Winslow ranked in the top 3 on his draft board. That was not your ordinary move-up-the-draft proposal. Winslow is going to be a better player, anyway. Leonard-ish ceiling versus Parker's Derozan-ish ceiling. His defense is already more valuable than Parker's offense.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2016, 12:22:54 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He obviously doesn't love Parker as much as he loved Winslow. He must've had Winslow ranked in the top 3 on his draft board. That was not your ordinary move-up-the-draft proposal. Winslow is going to be a better player, anyway. Leonard-ish ceiling versus Parker's Derozan-ish ceiling. His defense is already more valuable than Parker's offense.
I think he had Winlsow at 3, but I also think he had parker at 2 in 2014.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.