Author Topic: Give me your best Jabari Parker offer  (Read 22942 times)

Re: Give me your best Jabari Parker offer
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Rozier
E. Turner
choice of Young or Hunter
2016 DAL 1
2016 BOS 1

Would be hesitant to let go of Rozier. I feel like Kidd would turn him into a menace. I'd also be nervous about Turner's departure becoming a chemistry disruption. He's won us more games than I'd like to admit (as I am not much of a Turner fan).

edit: MIL probably wouldn't accept this offer. Danny wouldn't offer much more. Jabari isn't getting dealt.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This is why I want to know where you guys think Jabari would go in this draft.  2nd?  3rd at worst ?  If that Brooklyn pick stands where it is, it's most likely not ending up top 2.  Wouldn't you have to give up that pick for Jabari if the Bucks wanted it?
Probably #1. He's was certainly a better prospect at Duke than Ingram now is, and Ingram has been steadily gaining on Simmons as the year goes along.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
This is why I want to know where you guys think Jabari would go in this draft.  2nd?  3rd at worst ?  If that Brooklyn pick stands where it is, it's most likely not ending up top 2.  Wouldn't you have to give up that pick for Jabari if the Bucks wanted it?
Probably #1. He's was certainly a better prospect at Duke than Ingram now is, and Ingram has been steadily gaining on Simmons as the year goes along.

This really makes no difference. Since being drafted, Parker has:
  • blown out his knee
  • displayed serious issues shooting the ball
  • confirmed fears he's below replacement at everything else
So why pretend he's still at Duke and these things haven't happened?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bucks are better off waiting till offseason. At least that way their pick is a better asset

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 03:42:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

• blown out his knee
Because he is only 20 (on draft night he will be the same age as Simmons) and the potential that lead to him being so highly sought after still remains.

Prospects that come out when they are still teenagers are not close to finished products, I am of the belief that unless a player looks completely lost their potential doesn't vary greatly based on their performance their first season.

It doesn't help his shooting that no one else on his team can shoot so any jumpers he takes are contested.

Simmons who is probably going to be the number one pick has much worse issues than Parker when it comes to range.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2016, 03:44:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Bucks aren't using him properly. 

Where would Jabari go in this draft ?

Where does me make us better? Scorer off the bench? We'd have to give up too much to justify that role.

Let me suggest something else... John Henson. The Bucks winning % goes WAY up when Henson plays 20 mins or more. Send Sullinger somewhere, and buy on Henson.
I think Jabari can be a go-to scorer.

How, when he has no range? Teams are just sagging off him right now because he's only capable of scoring at the basket. And he does virtually nothing else well.

Is your contention to teach him to shoot? Why wouldn't MIL just do that, if they felt they could?

As for where Parker would go in this draft.... which Parker? Are we time-warping to Parker's last season at Duke? Or are we realistiically looking at the current players value, after a serious knee injury, and the warts of his game have been exposed in the NBA?
I think he'd go #3. At the latest.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

• blown out his knee
Because he is only 20 and the potential that lead to him being so highly sought after still remains.

Prospects that come out when they are still teenagers are not close to finished products, I am of the belief that unless a player looks completely lost their potential doesn't vary greatly based on their performance their first season.

It doesn't help his shooting that no one else on his team can shoot so any jumpers he takes are contested.
I tend to agree and it isn't like he takes no shots away from the basketball as less than half of his attempts are inside 3 feet.  He is actually pretty consistent at right around 18% at the other three non-3 point ranges.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

• blown out his knee

The knee injury is only serious when it happens and how long it takes to get better. Usually take a year to heal, which he's just out side of that, and then a few more months to trust it again and get into shape.

Look at Rondo, he's a guy who relies on athleticism, he looks much better this year than he did last. (some of it was him dogging it)

You look at how well Parker played his first few months, he looked better than Wiggins. He was playing SF and getting more touches too.

With Monroe up for trade, while not my ideal big man, I'd be will for Monroe and Parker send Lee/Amir, Sully, Young, Rozier and Nets 2016 or 2018. If 2017 we give up our 2016 and the Dallas 2016.   

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Where does me make us better? Scorer off the bench? We'd have to give up too much to justify that role.

Let me suggest something else... John Henson. The Bucks winning % goes WAY up when Henson plays 20 mins or more. Send Sullinger somewhere, and buy on Henson.

How, when he has no range? Teams are just sagging off him right now because he's only capable of scoring at the basket. And he does virtually nothing else well.

Is your contention to teach him to shoot? Why wouldn't MIL just do that, if they felt they could?

As for where Parker would go in this draft.... which Parker? Are we time-warping to Parker's last season at Duke? Or are we realistiically looking at the current players value, after a serious knee injury, and the warts of his game have been exposed in the NBA?
I think that's partially a mis-read of the Bucks situation.  They have a lot of guys involved in that offense.  Middleton is an outstanding shooter so he's their go-to guy.  Parker is playing out of position at PF and coming off a major injury, but his explosiveness is there.   I still think he can be the main guy in an offense.   If you don't think it's possible for him to increase his range, then you must think it's impossible for Ben Simmons to increase his range as well.  So considering we probably aren't getting Simmons... Jabari is worth the Brooklyn pick at least, right?

Jabari has only taken 7 attempts from 3 this year... He shot 36% from three in College.  Why does everyone think it's impossible for him to develop range?

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

The opposite is actually true. Defenders back off of Parker and dare him to shoot, which he virtually never does because he's not a good shooter. He's taken only 149 shots outside the paint this year -- 24 less than Marcus Smart, whose not exactly a go-to guy, and has missed a significant portion of the year with injury

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/player/1790/jabari-parker/shotchart/

So what's he going to do in Brad Stevens motion offense? Yikes.

Just.... pass. Have to give up too much to get Parker. Keep your assets and use 'em, or trade 'em for something else.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If he were just simply two years younger and placed in this draft (and had the same season he had at Duke), he would easily go top 3 (Ingram and Simmons are still stud prospects).

However, if you took him off the Bucks and entered him as a 'new rookie' in this year's draft, he may fall down to around 10. No way is the 'potential' of the BKN pick worth what we already know about Parker. Sure he may become awesome one day, but he hasn't really shown any signs yet (and he should have). The allure of the unknown is a huge factor in how teams draft players.

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I think that's partially a mis-read of the Bucks situation.  They have a lot of guys involved in that offense.  Middleton is an outstanding shooter so he's their go-to guy.  Parker is playing out of position at PF and coming off a major injury, but his explosiveness is there.   I still think he can be the main guy in an offense.   If you don't think it's possible for him to increase his range, then you must think it's impossible for Ben Simmons to increase his range as well.  So considering we probably aren't getting Simmons... Jabari is worth the Brooklyn pick at least, right?

Jabari has only taken 7 attempts from 3 this year... He shot 36% from three in College.  Why does everyone think it's impossible for him to develop range?

Nope. Simmons is a 100% blue chip prospect outside of shooting. He absolutely destroys Parker on rebounding, passing, defense, size, length, athleticism, etc....

Parker was (is?) a blue chip prospect almost purely on scoring, and that part of his game has some scary issues. I don't think it's impossible for him to develop range, but why has he only taken 7 3s this year, and made none?

In short, why gamble on him developing that range when he's shown no evidence of the ability, and he doesn't do other things well.

Put another way, who wants to build around an NBA SF who can't shoot 3s? Until the NBA eliminates the 3, that's a recipe for failure.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

The opposite is actually true. Defenders back off of Parker and dare him to shoot, which he virtually never does because he's not a good shooter. He's taken only 149 shots outside the paint this year -- 24 less than Marcus Smart, whose not exactly a go-to guy, and has missed a significant portion of the year with injury

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/player/1790/jabari-parker/shotchart/

So what's he going to do in Brad Stevens motion offense? Yikes.

Just.... pass. Have to give up too much to get Parker. Keep your assets and use 'em, or trade 'em for something else.
The paint doesn't exactly mean close to the basket though.  He has taken just under 50% of his shots from right around the hoop and the other 50% from outside of 3 feet.  He has played most of his minutes at PF so that shouldn't be a surprise.   And it isn't like he is Tristan Thompson who is at almost 70% of his shots coming from inside 3 feet.  Heck even Lebron is at like 44% of his shots are inside of 3 feet.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

• blown out his knee
Because he is only 20 and the potential that lead to him being so highly sought after still remains.

Just because a team picked him #2 overall doesn't mean his potential stays at a resting rate of Best Case Scenario for #2 Overall until he's a mid-twentysomething or a decisive bust. It could be immediately apparent the next season that he was only ever going to be worth a #7 or #10 pick. He's a one-dimensional player. He scores. That's it. He'd have to be a hell of a scorer, then, to be actually worth the #2 pick in his draft, let alone the potential #1 pick in this draft. No, he would absolutely not be a top 2 pick in this draft. He was only picked that high because front offices were projecting more about him than what he's now shown.

This thread already covered Parker:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=82674.30

Particularly this observation:

He's a #2 pick on one of the leagues worst teams, and he is still struggling to earn a role as a 4th option on offense behind Monroe, Middleton and Giannis - and to add insult to injury, neither of those guys (who are all above Parker in the food chain) really is a great scorer.  Monroe is a good scorer, but I wouldn't say he is a great one.  The other two are merely above average scorers.

Now, to be fair, there are Twitter reports that Kidd has explicitly instructed Parker not to shoot threes. He was a 36% three point shooter in college, so the total lack of them in the NBA makes more sense if he was refraining from them under (stupid) coach's orders. Still, that'd only mean that his one-dimensionality is less one-dimensional.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2016, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Not sure why you're convinced Jabari is playing out of position. He's probably more likely to have success as a 4 than a 3.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers