Author Topic: Do you find it sketchy if someone doesn't have social media or barely uses it?  (Read 14388 times)

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
CelticsBlog is a social media site. "You" say it isn't or you didn't think about it as one because you use it. You're not going to count something that's (obviously) social media after basically bashing people that use those applications/sites because you would have to realize that you use this site for some of the same reasons people use sites like FB and IG. Tommy Points are no more than the thumbs up button or the heart buttons on FB and IG. CB is a place to share things like opinions and news (sometimes personal), how is that not considered a social media platform?

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Unless they're over the age of 40 it probably means they just won't tell you what their actual social media profile is.

Huh?

So are you implying that everyone under 40 has a social media account, the people who say they don't are just lying about it?

Pretty much.
So you just refuse to look at data that disproves your assumptions?

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Beyond definitely not ever using a dating web site I think if someone demanded I Facebook friend them to meet them I would definitely not meet them
You can't trust those dating profile pics.  I wanted to know what I was getting myself into.
Waaaaaiiitttt a second. Are you saying you're a really good looking guy that needs to use dating web sites or that you're not a great looking guy that is very honest with your profile pics and expects everybody else to be also, but despite your honesty about your looks on line you still get a reasonable number of hits from women on the website, at which point you need to investigate their looks? 

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No. I barely use facebook anymore. And I don't think I'm sketchy. I'm just a super busy worker with two young kids.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
CelticsBlog is a social media site. "You" say it isn't or you didn't think about it as one because you use it. You're not going to count something that's (obviously) social media after basically bashing people that use those applications/sites because you would have to realize that you use this site for some of the same reasons people use sites like FB and IG. Tommy Points are no more than the thumbs up button or the heart buttons on FB and IG. CB is a place to share things like opinions and news (sometimes personal), how is that not considered a social media platform?

Calling CB a social media platform is a huge stretch.  It's a discussion board, big difference.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Unless they're over the age of 40 it probably means they just won't tell you what their actual social media profile is.

Huh?

So are you implying that everyone under 40 has a social media account, the people who say they don't are just lying about it?

Pretty much.

Well, you should probably get your head out of the sand then.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't use social media because there's nothing of interest for me, everything I want to know I can specifically search for on the internet. I don't feel the need to digitally "stay in touch" with people I can't stand in real life, anyway. When I'm on the train, I rather read, think about stuff, or talk with the old lady next to me than play Angry Birds. Luckily, I'm also pretty good at picking up girls.

I grew up during a time when people were talking with each other to waste time, instead of staring at their mobile devices. In my opinion, people have become so "connected", they don't even realize how sad and lonely they appear when they stare at their phone in the middle of a crowd.

Generally, I think it's pretty concerning that we have reached a point as society where people have to defend themselves, can be accused of lying or hiding something just because they deny social media to be part of their lives. Call me a radical if you like, but I do value privacy as much as I value freedom or human dignity.

Exactly, it's utterly ridiculous. 

We live in a world where parents give iPads to toddlers who haven't even learnt to read and write properly - it's an absolute joke.

Yesterday I was waiting on the train platform, and as I was looking across to the opposite platform I noticed a bunch of people on their phones.  I decided to count for the heck of it - out of 15 people standing on the platform, 12 of them were staring at their phones (completely oblivious to the world around them). 

It's kinda disturbing to be honest.

My biggest worry is with kids. 

When I was in senior high school I was using ICQ and MSN chat, and things like MySpace and Facebook had only just started to become fads, and even then it was enough to be a distraction to me.

I distinctly remember staying up late in my room on my laptop chatting to girls and friends on ICQ/MSN when I was supposed to be asleep...and pretending I was studying every time my parents walked past, then ALT+Tabbing to the chat windows every time they walked out.     

Before the days of electronics that would never really have been a problem.  It would have been very difficult for me to step out of the house to meet with girls/friends without my parents knowing, or even to talk to them on the phone without my parents hearing that I was on the phone.  But with the internet, the potential for distractions for kids is huge, and the more things go in the 'technological' direction, the harder it is to keep tabs on what your kids are doing.

Hell, these days we have kids who can't even read and write properly, but have no problems knowing how to who use an iPad.  That's just ridiculous.

Technology is an amazing thing, but the whole idea of it is that it's there as a tool to support us in our daily lives.  These days we depend so much on technology that it takes control of our lives, and we become a slave to it.  THAT I am not a fan of.

Perfect example - take a look at auto braking in cars.  New 'safety' feature that's started to become big lately, yet I've spoken to people who have cars with that feature and they tell me it's highly inaccurate and borderline dangerous, because it always functions when you don't want it to. 

The internet is a great resource.  I think things like Viber (allowing you to use the internet for free multi-party messages) is a great resource.  I think Virtualisation is an amazing technology, which can introduce massive cost savings and huge reliability improvments for organisations.  GPS navigators allow people to drive somewhere they have never been, without having to take their eyes off the road to look at a map. 

There are a lot of amazing technologies out there, but in some cases I feel we just take it too far - social media is (IMHO) one such area.

But hey, that's just me.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Beyond definitely not ever using a dating web site I think if someone demanded I Facebook friend them to meet them I would definitely not meet them
You can't trust those dating profile pics.  I wanted to know what I was getting myself into.
Waaaaaiiitttt a second. Are you saying you're a really good looking guy that needs to use dating web sites or that you're not a great looking guy that is very honest with your profile pics and expects everybody else to be also, but despite your honesty about your looks on line you still get a reasonable number of hits from women on the website, at which point you need to investigate their looks?
A lot of assumptions.   Heck no I'm not good looking.  I'm an extremely goofy looking short guy with bad skin.  I've been with the same girl for 5 years.   Prior to that when I was single I met easily over 100 girls through online dating (Okcupid and match.com were the popular sites at the time).  Often it wouldn't go past the first date, because there wasn't much chemistry.  Sometimes I'd date them for a little while.  Sometimes a few months.  It was painfully easy to meet a girl online, though.  I'd read their profile, see if we had common interests and start a brief chat.  If they seemed interesting enough, I'd be open to grabbing happy hour with them or something.   But I rarely met someone in person without first adding them as Facebook friends.  There's only so much you can get from a dating profile and I wanted to see what I was getting into.   Also, every once in a while someone had a catfish profile or something.  In the rare instance a girl claimed she didn't have a Facebook profile, I found that tremendously sketchy.   All these girls were 18-26.  What girl that age didn't have a Facebook?  Weird.  Also, there were things that would be a dealbreaker to me.  I wasn't into party girls, for instance. Didn't want to get herpaderp.  I liked the wholesome girl next door types. 

Hey man feel free to judge me.  I didn't want to waste my time.  When I first started online dating, I met a couple whackjobs.   It wasn't a big deal... Just ruined a night I could have spent playing video games.  It was so easy to meet girls that I just kind of made it a personal policy to first add them on Facebook and see if it was a bunch of pics of them throwing up in toilets or something... Or maybe pics from their pre-trans days (that happened once)... Never know out here in Seattle.  Lol.  Whatever. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:45:40 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A lot of assumptions.   Heck no I'm not good looking.  I'm an extremely goofy looking short guy with bad skin.  I've been with the same girl for 5 years.   Prior to that when I was single I met easily over 100 girls through online dating (Okcupid and match.com were the popular sites at the time).  Often it wouldn't go past the first date, because there wasn't much chemistry.  Sometimes I'd date them for a little while.  Sometimes a few months.  It was painfully easy to meet a girl online, though.  I'd read their profile, see if we had common interests and start a brief chat.  If they seemed interesting enough, I'd be open to grabbing happy hour with them or something.   But I rarely met someone in person without first adding them as Facebook friends.  There's only so much you can get from a dating profile and I wanted to see what I was getting into.   Also, every once in a while someone had a catfish profile or something.  In the rare instance a girl claimed she didn't have a Facebook profile, I found that tremendously sketchy.   All these girls were 18-26.  What girl that age didn't have a Facebook?  Weird.  Also, there were things that would be a dealbreaker to me.  I wasn't into party girls, for instance. Didn't want to get herpaderp.  I liked the wholesome girl next door types. 

Hey man feel free to judge me.  I didn't want to waste my time.  When I first started online dating, I met a couple whackjobs.   It wasn't a big deal... Just ruined a night I could have spent playing video games.  It was so easy to meet girls that I just kind of made it a personal policy to first add them on Facebook and see if it was a bunch of pics of them throwing up in toilets or something... Or maybe pics from their pre-trans days (that happened once)... Never know out here in Seattle.  Lol.  Whatever.
Hmmm.....Seattle. I see your point.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Calling CB a social media platform is a huge stretch.  It's a discussion board, big difference.

The only stretch is in your denial!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
I wouldn't say "sketchy," but I do certainly find it odd if someone around my age (mid-20s) or younger doesn't at least have a Facebook. I'm really only talking about Facebook, though. I've never got into Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, or anything else like that.

I'd really like to get off of social media completely, but it is an excellent way to stay in touch with old friends and family, especially when you live across the country from where you're originally from.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
There are social problems/challenges unique to each generation and that will continue ad infinitum.  Social media has great benefits but also presents concerns.  As an illustration, we brought our daughter to Kennedy airport a couple of weeks ago for her flight to Denmark  (semester abroad).  While waiting at the gate (departure delayed) she texted us that she was sitting with about 10 kids who were all in the same program as her -- she could tell from the tags on their carry-ons.  For 2 hours they all sat looking at their phones-- not once opening conversation.  Not till on the plane when they had to turn phones off did anyone talk to each other.  I dont think this is this biggest deal in the world (not saying "what is this world coming to? "), but it's interesting.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Hmmm.....Seattle. I see your point.
Online dating is pretty popular here.  I also live walking distance from a bunch of restaurants/bars... made it really easy to just start a conversation with a girl at 8:00pm... and be sitting across from a table from her at 9:30pm.