Author Topic: Do you find it sketchy if someone doesn't have social media or barely uses it?  (Read 14318 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Beyond definitely not ever using a dating web site I think if someone demanded I Facebook friend them to meet them I would definitely not meet them
You can't trust those dating profile pics.  I wanted to know what I was getting myself into.

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
And if you choose to use Facebook, everyone has their own rules for what they think is socially acceptable for posting. So there's that also.

People will judge you no matter what choice you make.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
CB isn't social media?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why would it be sketchy?

IPhone social media etc has ruined some ppls lives

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
My goal one day is have NO cell phone. 

I don't mind my computer .....it doesn't come with me.....buzz , ring , distract me from my hobbies and fun

I don't want people to know where I'm at or the goverment .  So I carry no dog collar with me.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The only people who care are people without those things and overthink it way too much

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
My goal one day is have NO cell phone. 

I don't mind my computer .....it doesn't come with me.....buzz , ring , distract me from my hobbies and fun

I don't want people to know where I'm at or the goverment .  So I carry no dog collar with me.

If they really want you they will find you. How do you think they find all those people who escape from prison etc.?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
CB isn't social media?

The forums absolutely are, which adds a nice comic element to some of these posts.  Though to be fair there's more anonymity on CB than most social media.  No one here knows I'm really 60s stage sensation Leslie Uggams, for instance.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Society considers social media to be the norm now, so for someone to actively avoid participating in it, they either are so successful and busy that they don't care for social media, or they don't have anything to post/brag about on it.

Not that I'm that active of a poster, but I'm thinking about taking a year off of social media and maybe making it part of my 2016 resolution campaign.
I wouldn't describe myself as too busy (note time on cblog) but i do not do facebook, Twitter, linked in, or anything else that would be considered social media.  Except for Cblog.

To be honest, i don't really understand what twitter is. What does hashtag mean?The other day at a conference someone said something about "tagging" on facebook.  I dont know what that is.  I dont know what snap chat is.  And i am sure there are many other social media things i don't know anything about.  Sometomes my daughters try to explain things to me and i either dont fully understand or the concept doesnt sound very interesting to me. 

I am Sketchy.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Society considers social media to be the norm now, so for someone to actively avoid participating in it, they either are so successful and busy that they don't care for social media, or they don't have anything to post/brag about on it.

Not that I'm that active of a poster, but I'm thinking about taking a year off of social media and maybe making it part of my 2016 resolution campaign.
I wouldn't describe myself as too busy (note time on cblog) but i do not do facebook, Twitter, linked in, or anything else that would be considered social media.  Except for Cblog.

To be honest, i don't really understand what twitter is. What does hashtag mean?The other day at a conference someone said something about "tagging" on facebook.  I dont know what that is.  I dont know what snap chat is.  And i am sure there are many other social media things i don't know anything about.  Sometomes my daughters try to explain things to me and i either dont fully understand or the concept doesnt sound very interesting to me. 

I am Sketchy.

A hashtag aggregates every post with that same hashtag attached.  So if I wanted to see what people worldwide were Tweeting about, say, the Republican primaries, I can just search for #gopprimary or whatever the tag is.  Imagine if CB was 100x the size it is now - it'd be hard to find anything, but if you could just look up #Smart and find every thread that was related to Smart it'd make sorting through the clutter a lot easier.  It's a carryover from the old IRC channels where people would look for the channels on the topics or groups they wanted to talk about.

Tagging on Facebook is just linking posts or pictures to the profiles of people or groups that are in the pic or that might be interested in the post.  It's just an easy way of getting those people's attention, giving them credit, etc.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Honestly, I avoid it almost completely.

I have a Facebook account, but the only reasons I keep it is:
1) Because occasionally I see something amusing, like funny cat videos or memes

2) Because it allows me to see occasional updates from distant friends that I'm otherwise not close enough to keep in touch with

Even still I'm lucky to go on Facebook once a week, and I post something on there myself maybe once every couple of months if that.

Personally, I think Twitter is pointless since I really don't give two hoots what some person I don't know is thinking this very moment...and I think Instagra is pointless because I don't care for seeing new photos every time a random friend sits on the toilet.

I think it's sad that society has gotten so self-obsessed to the point where people feel they need to share everything they do with everyone in the world - while people might feel like others actually genuinely care, they don't.  Some 90% of the time they are just liking your posts because it's socially expected.  It's silly.

Likewise these days it's so [dang] amusing to see the way people response to being 'deleted from Facebook'.  It's hilarious.  The amount of times I've heard (in a shocked voice) "OMG SHE DELETED ME FROM FACEBOOK!!!!!" - then this leads to the complete destruction of a friendship because  apparently un-friending somebody on Facebook these days is the equivalent of beating them up in a dark alley. 

Then the Facebook stalking - all the jealous ex girlfriends who spend every day (for the next 2 years) after a breakup stalking their ex's Facebook page to see if they are talking to other girls, etc.  It's so pitiful that it makes me genuinely sad to see, because I have friends who engage in all of this kind of stuff and I just don't get it.  Why would you want to be with somebody who doesn't want to be with you, and why would you let such a person have such an impact on your life?

Then there are those people who have a baby, and then every single day becomes a pictorial timeline, showing ever time their baby spills food on themselves, or grumbles, or drools, or falls over.  For goodness sake.  You have a baby and we're all happy for you - we don't need (or care) to know about every single event in that baby's life...save that for your family and your closest friends - the ones who will actually care.

I really don't care for telling everybody on my Facebook page every single thing I do in my days.  In not not only do I not care, but I don't WANT everybody to know every thing I do.  I don't WANT everyone to know exactly where I am at every moment of every day of my life.  It's none of your [dang] business. 

If something happens in my life that i want a select few people to know about, I will call them and tell them - it's called ACTUAL communication.   

I think social media has it's good points, but like most things these days I think it gets overused and taken to the extreme, much like technology, political correctness (seen the ad for that new 'all female crew' Ghostbusters movie??) and sex (which now days has become the social equivalent of a peck on the cheek) and online dating (which seems to be almost completely replacing actual social dating).

The sad part is that I'm not even old, I'm 31 years so I was in my early to mid 20's when all this was being introduced..  I've been working in IT for some 8 years too so I'm certainly no technophobe. Yet I still think that all of this is kinda ridiculous.

Forum discussions are probably the closest thing to 'social media' that I frequently engage in, because I think it's pretty cool to be able to discuss common interests with people all over the world.  The rest of it, I could do without. 

Hell I could delete my Facebook account tomorrow and never look back.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
ANy thread like this is going to naturally attract the "social media is the wurst!  I live in a bunker! blurdedurgh!" Ron Swanson reaction. 

I've never really gotten into posting on twitter.  I check a couple guys twitter feeds once in a while like Bill Simmons.  Sometimes check it for trade rumors and things of that nature.  Sometimes, I'll check it to get a quick glance reaction on news or to figure out what's going on.  For example, drove by a ton of smoke drifting over a town and later searched twitter for the town name to see what was going on.

My interest in Facebook dropped dramatically as soon as I discovered Reddit.  Rarely does anyone share anything interesting that I haven't already seen on Reddit.  If you have no friends or family, there's zero reason to use Facebook.  However, if you're a normal person who has friends and family, it's nice to get a quick glance and see what people you care about are up to.  I use it to chat with a lot of people.  A lot of events are organized on there.  My girlfriend and I travel a lot, so we make a point to post some photos for the relatives and friends who like to see what we are up to.  My grandma wants to see photos of us in Japan... Facebook works for that.

A lot of people post crap on Facebook.  Pretty easy to hide them from your feed.  I do think that generally when I hear someone doesn't have a facebook feed and they are in their 20s/30s, I find it pretty strange.  Makes me think they are trying to hide something.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I do think that generally when I hear someone doesn't have a facebook feed and they are in their 20s/30s, I find it pretty strange.  Makes me think they are trying to hide something.

See, I don't get that at all. 

Just because someone doesn't want to tell the whole world everything they are doing, that means they are shady and trying to hide something?

I've had friends who have disconnected themselves from social media for years just because they felt it was becoming a distraction to their lives.

I've had other friends who have disconnected themselves because their are so many issues with scamming and identity thief that they would prefer to keep their personal lives private.

I've had other friends who never gone on there because quite simply, they just didn't care.  They have a handful of close friends and family whom they care about, and if they want to communicate with those people they do so via phone calls or text messages. 

Can't for the life of my understand why social medial is so 'important' these days that anybody who doesn't have it would be considered weird or shifty.  That genuinely makes zero sense to me., and just shows what a sad, sad state this world is in.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
ANy thread like this is going to naturally attract the "social media is the wurst!  I live in a bunker! blurdedurgh!" Ron Swanson reaction. 

I've never really gotten into posting on twitter.  I check a couple guys twitter feeds once in a while like Bill Simmons.  Sometimes check it for trade rumors and things of that nature.  Sometimes, I'll check it to get a quick glance reaction on news or to figure out what's going on.  For example, drove by a ton of smoke drifting over a town and later searched twitter for the town name to see what was going on.

My interest in Facebook dropped dramatically as soon as I discovered Reddit.  Rarely does anyone share anything interesting that I haven't already seen on Reddit.  If you have no friends or family, there's zero reason to use Facebook.  However, if you're a normal person who has friends and family, it's nice to get a quick glance and see what people you care about are up to.  I use it to chat with a lot of people.  A lot of events are organized on there.  My girlfriend and I travel a lot, so we make a point to post some photos for the relatives and friends who like to see what we are up to.  My grandma wants to see photos of us in Japan... Facebook works for that.

A lot of people post crap on Facebook.  Pretty easy to hide them from your feed.  I do think that generally when I hear someone doesn't have a facebook feed and they are in their 20s/30s, I find it pretty strange.  Makes me think they are trying to hide something.

TP.  All of this is over nothing, IMO.  I am an extremely social person and I love all my friends, even the ones who are technophobes.  Facebook is a good way to organize them and make sure I don't forget about people.  Also, meeting someone and being able to add them on Facebook, then invite them to whatever random thing I'm going to has allowed me to make so many amazing friends that I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Right now I'm about to host a house warming party and I can invite all the people I want without a second thought and avoid the awkwardness of having to ask for people's emails and whatnot.  I'm not even really posting on Facebook, I don't really follow my feed to much, I don't play Farmville, etc.  But I'm getting an invaluable service out of there.  Just because some people do overshare is no reason not to use it.  I mean, some people watch the Lakers, but that's no reason to not watch the NBA as a whole.

Meanwhile, the government isn't interfering in my life.  Maybe a couple extra ads are getting targeted towards me, but guess what?  I'm not buying anything they're selling.  Whatever minor inconveniences come out of using it are completely offset by the social utility it gives me.  Having friends to share life with is the best and things that further that are great. 

Also, I used to bash Reddit super hard, but I'm starting to warm up to it.  I still like CelticsBlog the best though!

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If people don't like social media, then they shouldn't have to use it. I like using it, so I will use it. Definitely not something I judge people on.