Author Topic: Do you find it sketchy if someone doesn't have social media or barely uses it?  (Read 14319 times)

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
The more a person is on social media the sketchier they are to me.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Back when I was meeting a ton of girls via dating sites, if they didn't have a facebook account it was a dealbreaker.  Actually, I refused to meet the girl in person unless she first added me to facebook. 

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Beyond definitely not ever using a dating web site I think if someone demanded I Facebook friend them to meet them I would definitely not meet them

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I have a facebook but I only use it to post articles I find interesting.

I don't look at feeds or messages. My wife tells me she posted something to me days ago so I'll check it then. Most of my friends either don't have an account or never use it and I would say any of us are the least sketchy people you can find.

For reference I'm 28 and facebook came out for me when it was still based on requiring a .EDU address. Now my feed is full of my 50-60 year old aunt's vacation pictures and my 12 year old cousins weird photos and stories. That and everyone has baby pictures. Pass on all of them.

The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Society considers social media to be the norm now, so for someone to actively avoid participating in it, they either are so successful and busy that they don't care for social media, or they don't have anything to post/brag about on it.

Not that I'm that active of a poster, but I'm thinking about taking a year off of social media and maybe making it part of my 2016 resolution campaign.

Rarely use it. Was a senior exec for a long time until I retired and had to limit access and that certainly affects my attitude toward social media. I'm very private, so I follow family members that use it and and a few close friends and some non-profits I help. Some people use it to a fault, especially teens and young adults although I'm sure it helps people find dates which is better than the meat markets I use to frequent as a single.

You have to be very careful about what you post too if you're interested in working to support yourself and family. OTOH, something like Linked-In is pretty necessary.

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

I have no social media account.  Haven't found a need for it. 

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Don't y'all get it? The relationship is not official until it's Facebook official!  ;D ;D ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Unless they're over the age of 40 it probably means they just won't tell you what their actual social media profile is.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Unless they're over the age of 40 it probably means they just won't tell you what their actual social media profile is.

Huh?

So are you implying that everyone under 40 has a social media account, the people who say they don't are just lying about it?

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I've got a wide variety of social media usage among my friends and family, so I don't read much into it, but I derive endless enjoyment from:

- people going on social media to announce to everyone they know that they don't care what anyone thinks of them

- people going on social media to announce to everyone they know that they've been outsmarted by a math problem designed for an 8 year old (this one's died down a bit)

- my wife's cousin who, thanks to those fake Learning Channel "documentaries", now gets into long, stubborn Facebook arguments about her deeply held belief that mermaids are real.

Those plus my friends who post weird art and design stuff I'd never see otherwise are well worth the time investment for me.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Less social media the better.

Especially for young people.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Vegas Green

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I'm single and use on-line dating site and thought I met a pretty cool girl, but she asked if I had a Facebook account and when I said no, she decided that I was shady and hiding something since I wasn't on Facebook....Honestly think those on Facebook and on it often are just a bunch of low self esteem people looking for gratification from others....I'm also 45 so maybe I am just too old... ;)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The I Phone, The I pad, I Robot, I tunes, Let me take a Selfie.

Notice any patterns? It's just a ploy to turn people into Narcissistic Drones.

Let's go Celtics!

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
why would it be sketchy? not sure exactly of your point in the thread. what is it you are really asking of us?

Validation.  It's for insecure people and it's a viral disease.  They constantly seek it.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It is a major bummer if people feel that way.  I know they do some to me when I say I don't have a Facebook account (have had one some, hated how it is used).  I have a twitter account and like that for news and keeping up with things like sports, music, and videogames.  I just don't see the need to put up things about myself how a lot of people do and I don't find it interesting.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford