Author Topic: Do you find it sketchy if someone doesn't have social media or barely uses it?  (Read 14316 times)

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Society considers social media to be the norm now, so for someone to actively avoid participating in it, they either are so successful and busy that they don't care for social media, or they don't have anything to post/brag about on it.

Not that I'm that active of a poster, but I'm thinking about taking a year off of social media and maybe making it part of my 2016 resolution campaign.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I don't have a Facebook account, I've never used Twitter. I don't even have a mobile phone. Drives everyone around me nuts.  ;D

There are times when I'm available, and times when I'm not. Deal with it.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Society considers social media to be the norm now, so for someone to actively avoid participating in it, they either are so successful and busy that they don't care for social media, or they don't have anything to post/brag about on it.

Is there really such a thing as a norm?   If they are artificial and constructs of society.   I never grasped, why there is such pressure for some to conform to these constructs.  But then I have never really fit in them or what is normal because of my height.

Social media is a tool to some.   I do not think it makes someone weird because they do not use it.   They simply have not embraced that tool.   In many ways, I think it makes our society more shallow.   Personally, I use it some because my friends do, but I would prefer to interact socially in person.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Voluntary ball and chain .

I enjoy the Internet .....I can turn it off and lay it down ...walk away .....pick it up,when I want

I hate cell phone s and devices ...people want you to,carry .....to become a prisoner .   I enjoy being quiet by myself without the phone buzzing ringing , beeping interrupting my privacy .

I turn those off and do 't carry them .

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
under a certain age....yes I do.

But I also find it creepy when people are glued to their phones. Like some people I know text non stop for a long time, and that's all they do. They have a phone in their hands and they just won't call. If I call them it's like 50/50 I get them.

I refuse to have conversations over text

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I always say that cell phones ''bring people far away closer and make people close together, farther away". It' s weird to see a small group of people in an enclosed environment like a car and they are all talking to someone else not even there, on their cell phones of course.

I would almost say that the people who dont use these forms of communication are more grounded then the ones who rely on them too much. It seems as if many of the college age kids today can't even carry a conversation. It's kind of strange the effect that it's having on society.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sketchy?   not by a longshot.

Smart?  extremely.

I've never understood the need for people to constantly post about themselves for the sake of self promotion nor the need to be constantly in touch with the world via their cell phones.

The only social media I've used is Facebook.  I probably average 1-2 posts a year and use it primarily to "chat" with people I don't see very often but like to stay in touch with.  never used Twitter.  couldn't tell you any other social media sites either.  carry a cell phone to work and only use it if my train breaks down and I need to let my boss know.  otherwise, it's completely off.  also don't carry it with me anywhere else.   probably the least "in touch" person you'll meet

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Agree with many here. I have a facebook account only because so many people I know live in other parts of the country (including myself), but I don't ever post. Unfortunately I often get tagged in pictures, though, and it makes it look like my own self-promotion (any way to turn that feature off).

Cell phone is primarily for work and I HATE texts for anything other than a quick message.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
why would it be sketchy? not sure exactly of your point in the thread. what is it you are really asking of us?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

I think in your argument above you can replace "social media" with any number of things, like working out for example.

Impression management is a phenomenon that has increasingly taken hold of people's lives. One may think that if he/she doesn't post something on social media, then he/she isn't as "cool" or "successful" as his/her friends that do post frequently. People seek to highlight the best versions of themselves, or rather the person they want to be sometimes more than the person they are (Check out Impression Management sometime on Google, interesting stuff).

On the other hand, you could make the assumption that those who do post frequently are compensating for something. Someone may post pictures from every single one of their workouts, for example, leading me to wonder: "where do you find the time to commit yourself to work, or familial relationships?"

Again, same goes for any number of activities that society deems normal.

Posting about something doesn't make it any more "real" for me. I have friends that appear to "live" on Snapchat, Instagram, and/or Facebook. Some of these people I haven't seen in two+ years, yet I feel as if I know every single detail of their lives. I'm old school, I don't hate technology or social media but I do hate the "must post" aspect of social media.

I applaud the resolution you're considering. I would start slow, depending on how you use social media that is. For example, I deleted Snapchat about a month ago after using it pretty frequently daily. The longer I go without it, the less and less I feel the "need" for it. I think we can become addicted to social media just as someone can become addicted to something harmful to their bodies, like substance or alcohol abuse. I'm sure years from now, if not today, there'll be studies that describe the addiction to social media being potentially as mentally-harmful as substances.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Not that I'm that active of a poster, but I'm thinking about taking a year off of social media and maybe making it part of my 2016 resolution campaign.
i find it more sketchy when someone relies on social media all the time.

And some people do have "post worthy" things to say on face book, but choose not to share every little detail of their life

I find personal social media sites (twitter, facespace) and selfies very disturbing. I clump them together because facebook posts are just selfies using words
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I used to post a lot on facebook but now I use it for just chatting since AIM is just so old nowadays lol

maybe cuz I'm also getting older but it's more or less a few of these things

A. I don't care enough to share it
A2. I don't care enough about 90% of the people on FB
B. I don't think my business is any of other people's business (mainly my political views is so different from most of my friends on FB, want to avoid an argument between friends that have different views, and this current election is making it worse!)

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think it's an age think a lot of the time. I personally don't use any social media and spent most of my life avoiding it on purpose. I guess if I was single I'd take a better look at it but I tend to have 2 things I spend time on:

1. making money
2. doing things I enjoy

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm your older demo.  I post on FB mainly for business.  I frankly can't understand the need to put your life on display for the world to see.  I value privacy and I could give a rat's a-- how wonderful your kids are, how wonderful you are or what your political views are - if you're not open to discussion about them or having any of your political assumptions challenged without you freaking out. 

Similar to when you're in the same room with a bunch of people, you're not going to like everyone and you sure as hell don't want to share any part of your life with people you don't care for. So from a personal standpoint, no. 

From a business standpoint however, no social media presence is a huge red flag.  I want to know who I'm dealing with and I will dismiss someone with no Linked In presence.   FB not as much but if you have a presence there, all the better.

What FB is great for however is connecting with people from various points of your life who you want to connect with.  It's easy and that part is fine.  So I guess its a mixed bag. 

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think the people using all these social media outlets are sketchier than the ones that barely use it. I don't think it is the norm, i think it is a terrible tool ruining human society. The people barely using social media are the smart ones. They aren't wasting their time and their lives with the internet they are actually living life, seeing what's in front of them, and practicing real human interaction.