Author Topic: What would it take to get Nerlens Noel?  (Read 34080 times)

Re: What would it take to get Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'd still like to have Nerlens.

Any takers for a shot at him in FA? Is there a chance that some verbal commitment to re-sign with the Mavs could be broken?

Dallas are presumably going to have another go at the playoffs next year (and every year until Dirk retires), but they might not be willing to give him more than a two year deal. He might request a 1 year deal too

Anyone willing to give Nerlens a big 5 year deal for backup at center?
Rather try to pry Cauley Stein for cheap from the Kings, they see the big Papa as their future center

I don't think WCS will be available for awhile now after they traded Boogie. I think he's part of King's long term plan unless, they can find a player who will replace him.

« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Any takers for a shot at him in FA? Is there a chance that some verbal commitment to re-sign with the Mavs could be broken?

Dallas are presumably going to have another go at the playoffs next year (and every year until Dirk retires), but they might not be willing to give him more than a two year deal. He might request a 1 year deal too

I definitely would, but he is obviously not DA's #1 target.  I can't see him approaching Nerlens until he has exhausted options on the elite free agents out there this summer.

Regarding breaking a verbal commitment to Dallas, haven't we seen this movie before (cough, DeAndre, cough)?

« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
 Here is in over a simplistic but seminal answer to the OP :

Stevens changing his mind about the type of center he will accept.

« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Ainge won't overpay for mediocrity or backup/bench players. What will Noel require for salary? $14 million? $20 million? Ainge won't pay that for a backup, and I agree.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ainge won't overpay for mediocrity or backup/bench players. What will Noel require for salary? $14 million? $20 million? Ainge won't pay that for a backup, and I agree.
I wouldn't pay that for a backup either but if we signed him, he's our starter alongside Horford.  I'd definitely pay him the money that KO's projected to get -- probably a bit more.  my biggest concern with Noel is his rebounding and can we add another shooter to the team to take on the offensive load in the event we have both Noel and Smart on the floor together (which would obviously happen for some stretches of the game).

« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yep.  He's probably a starter on our team but he's pretty mediocre and will be overpaid.  Plus he's a very fragile guy.  He was still missing games with knee soreness at the end of the season.  He's pretty good a some things, but I don't know if I ever see him as a 35 minute per game starter for multiple seasons.  I'm not sure his body will allow that.

« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Rather try to pry Cauley Stein for cheap from the Kings, they see the big Papa as their future center

I don't think WCS will be available for awhile now after they traded Boogie. I think he's part of King's long term plan unless, they can find a player who will replace him.
Again they are looking at big Papa as their center of the future, not Cauley Stein
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Again they are looking at big Papa as their center of the future, not Cauley Stein

Why do you think that?

« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Why do you think that?
He got more playing time at the end of the season and has inpressed;plus Sacramento picked him with a lottery pick last year even with Stein and Cousins on the roster. Stein was more of a complement to Cousins, I mean Sacramento values him but I still think they're dreaming of the big papa being their starting center in the future with Skal as his frontcourt partner (would be very skilled)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Why do you think that?
He got more playing time at the end of the season and has inpressed;plus Sacramento picked him with a lottery pick last year even with Stein and Cousins on the roster. Stein was more of a complement to Cousins, I mean Sacramento values him but I still think they're dreaming of the big papa being their starting center in the future with Skal as his frontcourt partner (would be very skilled)

Where did you get this? A simple look at their game logs will say the opposite

Minutes by month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

WCS - 21.3, 31.8, 27.5

GP - 4.0, 18.8, 23.5

Fake news  8)
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)