Author Topic: What would it take to get Nerlens Noel?  (Read 34063 times)

Re: What would it take to get Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2015, 02:00:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I always thought they were playing Okafor to showcase him. He puts up numbers, but he's limited as a defender and his game is very old school (that's a negative). From the comments on this board it seems like the general perception is that Noel is the expendable one, if the Sixers were inclined to deal one of the two. Playing Okafor as a rookie was also a good tanking tactic.

I think that while Noel is somewhat overrated as a defender right now, he actually has the physical capability of becoming a good one with experience and good coaching. I don't think Okafor will ever be a good defender and there's a limit to how good your team can be with him starting and taking a large percentage of shots.

What do you guys think? I'm just surprised that people are assuming Noel is the one Sixers brass would rather deal if there is a trade.

I think it's more wishful thinking than anything else.  We'd much rather have Noel than Okafor, so we convince ourselves that he might be available.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2015, 02:05:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well the "buy low" window might be closing a tiny bit. Ever since ish smith was brought back, Noel has looked fantastic. They have actually won a couple games.

Noel's last 3 games since Ish took over at PG:   14 points 11 rebounds 2 blocks 3 steals beating the suns ... 18 points 6 rebounds 5 blocks 2 steals in a 4 point loss to utah.  Then tonight he had 20 points 9 rebounds 4 steals in 26 minutes beating the Kings...

It's a noticeable improvement similar to how Noel played last year when ish smith was there (14 points 11 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 2.5 steals)... Part of that clearly has to do with Okafor being out and Noel being able to play minutes at his natural center position.   The Ish Smith thing also backs up the comments from analysts like David Thorpe who have suggested that Noel would be a lot better surrounded with real NBA talent.  It's not like Ish Smith is a star point guard... But the difference between Noel with and without a quasi NBA player running point is pretty stunning.  Imagine what he could do on a real basketball team with a legitimate starting point guard?

I think the idea that Noel has "regressed" is faulty.  He's been injured, played out of position and hasn't had a point guard.  These last 3 games back up the long standing belief that Noel hasn't been put in a position to succeed this year.  He's still got a huge future as a dominant defender and his offense may have actually improved a little.  No, he can't shoot jump shots and isn't going to be a great power forward, but that wasn't his role last year and that shouldn't be his role heading forward.  It's still clear that unless they want to have Okafor continue to come off the bench or try playing Okafor at power forward, Noel is going to need to be separated from him to be successful.

Interestingly enough, it seems even philly media is on board with moving Noel at this point... Knowing that they have Okafor and very possibly a healthy embiid next year.  This article is from earlier today before another ish/noel philly win, but should still be relevant.  They suggested the team needed a quality guard prospect to build around and our very own Marcus smart made the bottom of the list of desired assets (behind Schroeder, oladipo and lavine):   http://mobile.philly.com/sports/sixers/?wss=/philly/sports/sixers&id=363871081

Around the 2015 draft, there were rumors that Boston general manager Danny Ainge offered Smart and two first-round picks to the Sixers for Noel.

In hindsight, it is too bad they did not accept.

The return might not be as big now, but it is certainly worth a call to see if Ainge is still interested.

The Celtics have big dollars committed to point guard Isaiah Thomas, 26, through the 2017-18 season.

Smart, who has just returned after missing 18 games with a knee injury, might still be expendable.

Ainge is primarily looking for a go-to scorer, so, even if he no longer wanted Noel for the Celtics, Noel is still has value as the kind of young, athletic big man who can be packaged with first-round picks, of which Boston has four in 2016, in a bigger deal.

Of many pressing needs, the Sixers' biggest is a high-ceiling point guard. In only his second season, Smart (career 8.0 points, 3.1 assists, 3.4 rebounds) still fits that profile.

I would offer Noel and throw-ins to complete a deal. You might even still squeeze a first-round pick out of Boston.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20151231_Sixers_need_to_make_a_deal__and_Noel_could_be_a_key_piece.html#e8iMmQ53PYAVX5mo.99

Man, I don't mean to keep laying into you, but it's absolutely amazing how you have two different standards for Celtics players versus other teams' players (or at least players who you dislike versus who you like). Smart has had just as many contextual factors, if not more, affecting his play this year as Noel, e.g. injuries, team philosophy, much better team, etc., yet you constantly say he hasn't improved, which you claim means he's just going to top out as a "defensive role player," as you like to call it. How in the hell is it fair that you say one judgment is faulty, but then use that very same reasoning to disparage another player??
Smart has been given every opportunity to shine at his natural position.  Ever since mid season last year he's had a chance to step up.  Aside from one game against OKC, he has been garbage on offense.  He likely has lost his starting role barring injury. 

Yes, Noel is a poor offensive player too... But you need offense from your point guard in this league. You can get away with having a defensive center.  I don't care how "small" the league is getting. Having an elite rim protector is exponentially more valuable than having an elite guard defender.  Ben Wallace in his prime will always be more valuable than tony Allen in his prime.  Reason:  basketball.

The Marcus smart example is a poor one.  I'm not ignoring what's happening with the Celtics. If you want a more accurate comparison, look at our bench. When I say Noel hasn't regressed, I'd say the same about Tyler zeller or Kelly olynyk.  Those guys haven't "regressed". Their role has changed.  If Sullinger was exclusively played at small forward for a season, I wouldn't suggest he's "regressed".  These last few games with Noel playing his natural center position with ish smith basically prove he's going to be fine.  It's easy to dismiss it as a small sample size unless you acknowledge what has gone on in Philly this year.  Okafor is a great prospect but he plays the same position.  They have asked Noel to play a different position next to Okafor and it hasn't worked.  If Marcus smart was playing all his minutes this year at power forward, maybe I'd give him more of a pass.

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2015, 02:09:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I always thought they were playing Okafor to showcase him. He puts up numbers, but he's limited as a defender and his game is very old school (that's a negative). From the comments on this board it seems like the general perception is that Noel is the expendable one, if the Sixers were inclined to deal one of the two. Playing Okafor as a rookie was also a good tanking tactic.

I think that while Noel is somewhat overrated as a defender right now, he actually has the physical capability of becoming a good one with experience and good coaching. I don't think Okafor will ever be a good defender and there's a limit to how good your team can be with him starting and taking a large percentage of shots.

What do you guys think? I'm just surprised that people are assuming Noel is the one Sixers brass would rather deal if there is a trade.

I think it's more wishful thinking than anything else.  We'd much rather have Noel than Okafor, so we convince ourselves that he might be available.
based on the comments from Philly fans in that Noel trade article, there's a good chunk of fans who would prefer trading Okafor for the reasons listed above... They think Noel has a higher ceiling and Okafor will never be a good defender.  There is also a couple comments in there that they think embiid and Noel would play well together and they want to wait and see.

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2015, 02:54:23 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

based on the comments from Philly fans in that Noel trade article, there's a good chunk of fans who would prefer trading Okafor for the reasons listed above... They think Noel has a higher ceiling and Okafor will never be a good defender.  There is also a couple comments in there that they think embiid and Noel would play well together and they want to wait and see.

They want to wait to see if Embid can play PF? I ask because we already know Noel can't.

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2015, 02:56:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well the "buy low" window might be closing a tiny bit. Ever since ish smith was brought back, Noel has looked fantastic. They have actually won a couple games.

Noel's last 3 games since Ish took over at PG:   14 points 11 rebounds 2 blocks 3 steals beating the suns ... 18 points 6 rebounds 5 blocks 2 steals in a 4 point loss to utah.  Then tonight he had 20 points 9 rebounds 4 steals in 26 minutes beating the Kings...

It's a noticeable improvement similar to how Noel played last year when ish smith was there (14 points 11 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 2.5 steals)... Part of that clearly has to do with Okafor being out and Noel being able to play minutes at his natural center position.   The Ish Smith thing also backs up the comments from analysts like David Thorpe who have suggested that Noel would be a lot better surrounded with real NBA talent.  It's not like Ish Smith is a star point guard... But the difference between Noel with and without a quasi NBA player running point is pretty stunning.  Imagine what he could do on a real basketball team with a legitimate starting point guard?

I think the idea that Noel has "regressed" is faulty.  He's been injured, played out of position and hasn't had a point guard.  These last 3 games back up the long standing belief that Noel hasn't been put in a position to succeed this year.  He's still got a huge future as a dominant defender and his offense may have actually improved a little.  No, he can't shoot jump shots and isn't going to be a great power forward, but that wasn't his role last year and that shouldn't be his role heading forward.  It's still clear that unless they want to have Okafor continue to come off the bench or try playing Okafor at power forward, Noel is going to need to be separated from him to be successful.

Interestingly enough, it seems even philly media is on board with moving Noel at this point... Knowing that they have Okafor and very possibly a healthy embiid next year.  This article is from earlier today before another ish/noel philly win, but should still be relevant.  They suggested the team needed a quality guard prospect to build around and our very own Marcus smart made the bottom of the list of desired assets (behind Schroeder, oladipo and lavine):   http://mobile.philly.com/sports/sixers/?wss=/philly/sports/sixers&id=363871081

Around the 2015 draft, there were rumors that Boston general manager Danny Ainge offered Smart and two first-round picks to the Sixers for Noel.

The return might not be as big now, but it is certainly worth a call to see if Ainge is still interested.

The Celtics have big dollars committed to point guard Isaiah Thomas, 26, through the 2017-18 season.

Smart, who has just returned after missing 18 games with a knee injury, might still be expendable.

Ainge is primarily looking for a go-to scorer, so, even if he no longer wanted Noel for the Celtics, Noel is still has value as the kind of young, athletic big man who can be packaged with first-round picks, of which Boston has four in 2016, in a bigger deal.

Of many pressing needs, the Sixers' biggest is a high-ceiling point guard. In only his second season, Smart (career 8.0 points, 3.1 assists, 3.4 rebounds) still fits that profile.

I would offer Noel and throw-ins to complete a deal. You might even still squeeze a first-round pick out of Boston.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20151231_Sixers_need_to_make_a_deal__and_Noel_could_be_a_key_piece.html#e8iMmQ53PYAVX5mo.99

Man, I don't mean to keep laying into you, but it's absolutely amazing how you have two different standards for Celtics players versus other teams' players (or at least players who you dislike versus who you like). Smart has had just as many contextual factors, if not more, affecting his play this year as Noel, e.g. injuries, team philosophy, much better team, etc., yet you constantly say he hasn't improved, which you claim means he's just going to top out as a "defensive role player," as you like to call it. How in the hell is it fair that you say one judgment is faulty, but then use that very same reasoning to disparage another player??
Smart has been given every opportunity to shine at his natural position.  Ever since mid season last year he's had a chance to step up.  Aside from one game against OKC, he has been garbage on offense.  He likely has lost his starting role barring injury. 

Yes, Noel is a poor offensive player too... But you need offense from your point guard in this league. You can get away with having a defensive center.  I don't care how "small" the league is getting. Having an elite rim protector is exponentially more valuable than having an elite guard defender.  Ben Wallace in his prime will always be more valuable than tony Allen in his prime.  Reason:  basketball.

The Marcus smart example is a poor one.  I'm not ignoring what's happening with the Celtics. If you want a more accurate comparison, look at our bench. When I say Noel hasn't regressed, I'd say the same about Tyler zeller or Kelly olynyk.  Those guys haven't "regressed". Their role has changed.  If Sullinger was exclusively played at small forward for a season, I wouldn't suggest he's "regressed".  These last few games with Noel playing his natural center position with ish smith basically prove he's going to be fine.  It's easy to dismiss it as a small sample size unless you acknowledge what has gone on in Philly this year.  Okafor is a great prospect but he plays the same position.  They have asked Noel to play a different position next to Okafor and it hasn't worked.  If Marcus smart was playing all his minutes this year at power forward, maybe I'd give him more of a pass.

That is a huge stretch to say PF. Now SF is closer.

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2015, 03:11:45 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Who came up with this notion of Embiid at PF, and where did they get it? Has it been mentioned in Philly media or something?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Who came up with this notion of Embiid at PF, and where did they get it? Has it been mentioned in Philly media or something?
Embiid has a much more diverse offensive game and is much quicker than Okafor.  I think an Embiid/Noel front court would work a lot better than an Okafor/Noel front court for that reason.  I'm not sure who becomes the PF in the Embiid/Noel pairing, I just see it as having a much better chance of working out long term. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2015, 08:49:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Embiid has a much more diverse offensive game and is much quicker than Okafor.  I think an Embiid/Noel front court would work a lot better than an Okafor/Noel front court for that reason.  I'm not sure who becomes the PF in the Embiid/Noel pairing, I just see it as having a much better chance of working out long term.
Neither pairing is going to work.  This isn't the days of Akeem/Sampson or Duncan/Robinson.

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

But forget pairings for a second. Embiid cannot play PF.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2015, 09:33:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Neither pairing is going to work.  This isn't the days of Akeem/Sampson or Duncan/Robinson.
Who says?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2015, 10:03:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Just relaying what a couple Philly fans said in the comments section of that article.  They think embiid is potentially a better fit next to Noel because embiid can shoot from distance whereas Okafor can't.  I'm not sure why they think this.  Are there some Twitter videos of embiid hitting threes or something?  I thought he projected as an elite post player.   

Moving one or two of those bigs seems inevitable. If we can steal noel for Marcus smart, I'd be ok with it.

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Who says?
moiso says.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Just relaying what a couple Philly fans said in the comments section of that article.  They think embiid is potentially a better fit next to Noel because embiid can shoot from distance whereas Okafor can't.  I'm not sure why they think this.  Are there some Twitter videos of embiid hitting threes or something?  I thought he projected as an elite post player.   

Moving one or two of those bigs seems inevitable. If we can steal noel for Marcus smart, I'd be ok with it.

Wishful thinking. Both Okafor and Embiid are true centers. And by the way -- Okafor can shoot it a little bit.

Regarding fit, really none of them work well together. All 3 should be playing the center position in the NBA.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2015, 10:13:42 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

So essentially you just did exactly what I stated, i.e. you weighted the contextual factors different to give the edge to your guy while discrediting the other relevant contextual factors. Got it.

Smart has played in 11 games so far this year, three or four of which he's been limited in minutes played due to recovering from injury. He also plays on a team that is much better than Philly with six times as many wins, a stricter team-oriented philosophy, and a smaller role in the offense due to not playing with 75% D-Leaguers. These are contextual factors that are just as relevant as Noel playing out of position, but of course you deny them because they don't fit your narrative that you're trying to sell. Objectivity is hard.

I would bet big money that Smart's offensive numbers, outside of fg%, would dwarf Norl's numbers if he was playing for Philly right now.

« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2015, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Noel is a franchise player. Something the Celtics cannot afford right now outside of a hard tank. 2016 could be a huge year for this franchise if they just do the right thing. Maybe get Skal AND Simmons?!! Only if Ainge and Stevens can get on board.