Author Topic: What would it take to get Nerlens Noel?  (Read 34129 times)

Re: What would it take to get Nerlens Noel?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
We talked about that three days ago, didn't we? I think there's zero chance to get the 76ers to talk about Noel unless one of the Nets picks is included.
I don't see why the Sixers wouldn't take Smart for Noel. He gives them what they need while a pack is just a crapshoot. I think the draft phase of rebuild is no longer the direction with Colangelo is a charge, not that he won't try to draft as best he can. 

All that said, I would not give up Smart for Noel.
an injured defensive minded player that is terrible at offense.  for a healthy defensive minded player that is terrible at offense, but is also a center.  Pretty easy to see why Philly wouldn't trade Noel for Smart.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I would say our 2016 1st rd,  a 2nd rd,Jared Sullinger and Marcus Smart for Nerlens Noel and TJ McConnell. Would you guys let go of Smart for the rim protector we need?

If that doesn't work I say we go hard at a trade or sign outright Dwight Howard,Hassan Whiteside,Demarcus Cousins, or Harrison Barnes. There's no true bigs like them in college this year so we need to go hard in free agency. Harrison Barnes is most likely the odd man out in GS yet he has star potential so I think hed be a great pickup.

I'm a big supporter of Noel, and think it wouldn't have to include the Nets pick.  Honestly I'd be willing to give up Terry Rozier a young point guard with upside for them and Dallas 1st this year since it's top 7 protected and one of the 4 second round picks we have this year.  Noel fills a need and is young to build with and around him as our center.

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't see why the Sixers wouldn't take Smart for Noel. He gives them what they need while a pack is just a crapshoot.
In case I wasn't clear, I'm pretty sure that any discussion about Nerlens Noel starts with Marcus Smart AND one of the Brooklyn picks. Folks around here massively overvalue Smart.

It sounds like folks around here massively overvalue Noel. Either that or they haven't seen him play much. ESPN pre-season player rankings had Smart ahead of Noel, so let's not pretend the consenus is that Noel is thought of as the better player.

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't see why the Sixers wouldn't take Smart for Noel. He gives them what they need while a pack is just a crapshoot.
In case I wasn't clear, I'm pretty sure that any discussion about Nerlens Noel starts with Marcus Smart AND one of the Brooklyn picks. Folks around here massively overvalue Smart.

And other folks massively overvalue Noel.  Philly would ask for something like the Nets pick this year for Noel, so that is what it would take to get him.  But no team would give up anything close to that.

I'm sure Ainge and every other GM in the league likes Noel's potential but they also recognize in his regression this year that he's a role player at best.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 02:01:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

And other folks massively overvalue Noel.  Philly would ask for something like the Nets pick this year for Noel, so that is what it would take to get him.  But no team would give up anything close to that.

I'm sure Ainge and every other GM in the league likes Noel's potential but they also recognize in his regression this year that he's a role player at best.

Mike
I don't think a Brooklyn pick would be required, but do think it would take Smart plus other things.  I don't think those other things need to be super high value assets, but I just don't see Smart as enough. 

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Mike
I don't think a Brooklyn pick would be required, but do think it would take Smart plus other things.  I don't think those other things need to be super high value assets, but I just don't see Smart as enough. 

So probably something like Noel + 2nd round pick for Smart + Zeller... something along those lines is how you'd value it?

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Mike

So probably something like Noel + 2nd round pick for Smart + Zeller... something along those lines is how you'd value it?
No, I don't see them sending away a draft pick or having a need for Zeller.  Noel for Smart and KO seems to be in the range. 

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
KO, Rozier and Brooklyn 2017 pick. Pretty much same deal they took for MCW. Okafor looks better than Noel they should move on from Noel.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't know but I will tell you this.  Philly is in a must sell position therefore they are not going to get full value.

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

Mike

No, I don't see them sending away a draft pick or having a need for Zeller.  Noel for Smart and KO seems to be in the range.

That's on overpay. He's looked horrible this year playing out of position, and everyone in the league knows that they have to end up trading Noel. And it's not as simple as just waiting it out for the best option, because the problem will only be exacerbated once Embiid comes back. Thus, there's no way they're getting full value for him. Also, if we get Noel then I want KO next to him to spread the floor, which means KO is out for me for any Noel trade we make.

And we'd be stupid to trade Smart right now. His value is about as low as it can be coming off of this injury, so we'd need to let him get back healthy and playing towards the deadline at the very least. Outside of his shooting, Smart has looked phenomenal this year, and I think most people (including me) see Smart having a higher ceiling as a two-way player than Noel. Granted, being a defensive center Noel's floor is higher than Smart's, but does anyone really think that Smart is not going to get any better in his career?

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I don't know but I will tell you this.  Philly is in a must sell position therefore they are not going to get full value.

Exactly. It was stupid to think they could develop and trade three potential franchise bigs who can only play the center position. Playing Noel out of position shows their hand and how bad they need to trade him.

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Way much more than he is worth.

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Exactly. It was stupid to think they could develop and trade three potential franchise bigs who can only play the center position. Playing Noel out of position shows their hand and how bad they need to trade him.
It doesn't show anything like this, it only shows that he's the best PF on the roster. I mean, their other options are what, Richaun Holmes and the calcified remains of the player that was once Carl Landry?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Mike

That's on overpay. He's looked horrible this year playing out of position, and everyone in the league knows that they have to end up trading Noel. And it's not as simple as just waiting it out for the best option, because the problem will only be exacerbated once Embiid comes back. Thus, there's no way they're getting full value for him. Also, if we get Noel then I want KO next to him to spread the floor, which means KO is out for me for any Noel trade we make.

And we'd be stupid to trade Smart right now. His value is about as low as it can be coming off of this injury, so we'd need to let him get back healthy and playing towards the deadline at the very least. Outside of his shooting, Smart has looked phenomenal this year, and I think most people (including me) see Smart having a higher ceiling as a two-way player than Noel. Granted, being a defensive center Noel's floor is higher than Smart's, but does anyone really think that Smart is not going to get any better in his career?
They could end up trading Okafor or Embiid.  No reason they have to move Noel.  Perhaps they would rather go with Noel and Embiid than Embiid and Okafor. 

What you say about Smart applies to Noel as well?  I mean Noel is younger than Smart and he has shown improvement in certain aspects (he is shooing better than 5% better from 3 to 10 feet this year, despite playing with Okafor has actually improved his RB%, getting to the line more, and other improvement like that).  It isn't only Boston's young players that get better.

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If Noel and Okafor doesn't work how can any combo between the three of Embid, Noel and Okafor work. It's a mess for 76ers which is why they brought in help for Hinkie. I'd try to move Noel and Embid ASAP