Author Topic: What are 76ers doing?  (Read 13424 times)

What are 76ers doing?
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:23:27 AM »

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
I am a bit confused by what the 76ers are doing at moment. I believe they are now 1-29. I get that they are tanking, but they don't even seem to be playing their higher level prospects. They played Noel 27 minutes, Covington 21 and Stauskas (who they have completely given up??) 3 minutes. These are the 3 guys I have heard mentioned as potential Nba players besides okafor. Why not give them more experience?

Re: What are 76ers doing?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:31:01 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja
the last time i checked they were losing.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 12:51:43 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'm gonna take a stab at this... ruining professional basketball in Philly for the near and not so near future?  What do I win?

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:52:03 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
They seriously might go down as the worst team of all time, at least the worst basketball team of all time.

The 2012 Bobcats went 7-59 for a winning percentage of .106.

The Sixers are currently at 1-29 for a winning percentage of .033.

To not break the Bobcats' record, they'll have to go 9-73 for a winning percentage of .109, which means they'll have to go 8-44 the rest of the way with a .153 winning percentage for their remaining games.

I don't see that happening. Outside of injuries or career nights from their players, I don't think that they can legitimately plan to beat any other team outside of LAL, who they've already played once.

We ought to have a running bet on whether or not they break the all-time NBA losing record. I'd bet 50 TPs that they do. I just can't see them winning 8 more games after winning 1 in their first 30.

EDIT: By the way, Silver should yank their draft pick or prohibit them from receiving the top pick if they set the all-time record. That's ridiculous and a major stain on the league.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 01:10:28 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
they should be relegated to the NBADL.\

The best DL team cannot do much worse than the sorry sixers.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 01:27:08 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
They should be forever called the Philadelphia Seventy Stinkers.

And in answer to the OP, what they are doing is trying to buy time so Silver/the owners dont take action against them.

The first step in buying time was hiring Colangelo. Now they are looking to bring in Chuck Hayes and John lucas under the guise of bringing in a veteran presence, neither which will hurt the tank.

Talk about disingenuous.

They are hurting the NBA brand as well the little guy. I went to a Stinker game here in Feb/March last year, and although called a sellout, at least 1/3 of the seats were empty. Great for the fans. My whole group moved up to much better seats. No lines for beer or for anything, even at halftime. Again, great for the fans, not so much for the vendors. Talked to one vendor selling Cs t-shirts in the T station, and the guy said the Stinker games have been bad for business.

The Stinkers are a disgrace.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:55:03 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 01:32:06 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Pretty sure the Sixers didn't know what they were doing either.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14414513/adam-silver-says-pressure-last-place-philadelphia-76ers-alter-operations-strategy

"I can tell you that because he and I had many conversations along the way about the utility of the strategy that he was following," Silver told FiveThirtyEight. "And he came to the conclusion, once this season began and he saw how his team was performing on the floor, that he needed to change his strategy. Other owners were not pressuring him at all."

The owner was an NBA newbie who hired a newbie GM with little NBA experience based off a PowerPoint presentation Hinkie made. Not so much Hinkie executing his plan poorly, but Hinkie executing a poor plan well. Difficult to understand how they ended up with 3 centers, no PG, and no mentoring vets, but not so difficult to understand how such a poorly constructed team ends up with poor player development. Beyond that, Hinkie managed to p--- off a lot of people.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 01:34:57 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 546
Proving that there are limitations with the 'analytics only' approach.  There's also the small matters of keeping your fan base, corporate sponsors, season ticket holders etc engaged with your product so that it doesn't become irrelevant while you're waiting for 'the great turnaround'.  Meanwhile the value of your franchise is plummeting. 

Before this is over, Hinkie may become the Ted Stepien of GM's.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 01:51:18 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
And yet, if they get Ben Simmons, this will allllllllllllllllllllllllllll be worth it.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:14:16 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Pretty sure the Sixers didn't know what they were doing either.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14414513/adam-silver-says-pressure-last-place-philadelphia-76ers-alter-operations-strategy

"I can tell you that because he and I had many conversations along the way about the utility of the strategy that he was following," Silver told FiveThirtyEight. "And he came to the conclusion, once this season began and he saw how his team was performing on the floor, that he needed to change his strategy. Other owners were not pressuring him at all."

The owner was an NBA newbie who hired a newbie GM with little NBA experience based off a PowerPoint presentation Hinkie made. Not so much Hinkie executing his plan poorly, but Hinkie executing a poor plan well. Difficult to understand how they ended up with 3 centers, no PG, and no mentoring vets, but not so difficult to understand how such a poorly constructed team ends up with poor player development. Beyond that, Hinkie managed to p--- off a lot of people.

I still don't understand this either. I understand "best player available," but not when you literally drafted the same position for the prior two years. I would be much more sympathetic to their cause if they would've done something like picking Smart, Gordon, or Exum last year and Porzingis, Mudiay, or Hezonja this year. That at least would give them a 3, 4, 5 or 1, 4, 5 to build around.

But no, for the sake of tanking and thinking they could eventually trade one or two of them, they picked three centers who were incapable of playing the 4 at all with the notion that they're going to develop three franchise-level centers on one team. I've said since the beginning that there's no way that Noel, Okafor, and Embiid can play together, and even if they could, I highly doubt that there is enough playing time and touches to really develop three franchise-level bigs on the same team. It's stupid, and it's not working out for them. How does Noel look right now playing out of position? How's Embiid going to look after two years of not playing ball and either playing out of position or sharing the floor and minutes with another center who doesn't space the floor?

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 06:09:09 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They making history no doubt.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 07:49:31 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
They are bringing a loosing mentality to a great franchise.  They are making sure that when those rookie contracts are up none of those young studs are going to want to stay in philly.  Lastly they are embarrassing Larry brown by their performance

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 08:46:06 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
And yet, if they get Ben Simmons, this will allllllllllllllllllllllllllll be worth it.
And if they do land him, get ready for Hinkie clone wars.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Their record this year is gonna be terrible no matter what.  They're pretty much guaranteed to have the worst record.  So why run their prospects into the ground?

It's debatable what any of these guys are learning playing or such an awful team devoid of any NBA experience, anyway.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
This is a strange post.  Covington had a terrible game, Noel has been injured off and on all year, and Stauskas has been terrible all year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip