Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 46996 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
First things first, I still can't why they're some guys who can't accept the fact that there are a lot of people who legitimately believe that the prequels are good movies. Seriously why are you guys so threatened when people say they are good movies. Aren't movies supposed to be subjective? I liked the prequels and felt that they were well made. Does that make me a lesser fan? A person with bad taste in movies? In denial that they are bad movies? No, I just loved the story and characters, I felt they were interesting and complex. If you don't like the Prequels, fine but I ask that please respectful towards those who think differently from you. Some of you guy sound like Donald Trump the way you spew venom towards prequel fans.  ;)

With that out of the way and this is overdue. I liked the The Force Awakens.

Was it the fart jokes or the terrible acting that you enjoyed? ;)

Every movie will have at least some fans. Some people prefer Uwe Boll to Shakespeare. As works of art, though, one is objectively superior to the other.

Well I think that the acting was on par with the OT.  ;D As for your art comments how is it objective? By what measure and who's judging it? Honestly (I'm not calling you out just an observation) I think who say that a work of art is objectively superior to one another is just using to put people down, judging from these comments here.

Is there any outer line for you? Is Michaelangelo's work on the Sistine Chapel objectively better art than a third grader pooping on a paper plate?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
First things first, I still can't why they're some guys who can't accept the fact that there are a lot of people who legitimately believe that the prequels are good movies. Seriously why are you guys so threatened when people say they are good movies. Aren't movies supposed to be subjective? I liked the prequels and felt that they were well made. Does that make me a lesser fan? A person with bad taste in movies? In denial that they are bad movies? No, I just loved the story and characters, I felt they were interesting and complex. If you don't like the Prequels, fine but I ask that please respectful towards those who think differently from you. Some of you guy sound like Donald Trump the way you spew venom towards prequel fans.  ;)

Every movie will have at least some fans. Some people prefer Uwe Boll to Shakespeare. As works of art, though, one is objectively superior to the other.

Well I think that the acting was on par with the OT.  ;D As for your art comments how is it objective? By what measure and who's judging it? Honestly (I'm not calling you out just an observation) I think who say that a work of art is objectively superior to one another is just using to put people down, judging from these comments here.

Is there any outer line for you? Is Michaelangelo's work on the Sistine Chapel objectively better art than a third grader pooping on a paper plate?
well if the third grader turns it into a finger painting, all bets are off   :P

« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

well if the third grader turns it into a finger painting, all bets are off   :P

That's the metaphorical equivalent of Jar Jar Binks, along with the fart jokes and racial accents.

Darth Maul, though... so awesome, but so under-utilized.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2016, 09:13:29 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The point is, everyone has different standards on what makes a good movie. When it comes to things like movie's I don't believe that one is "objectively" better than the other.

« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There you go again, saying that it is okay to like a bad movie. I've analyzed and dissected the The Phantom Menance and I feel that it is a work of art. If someone feels that Dumb and Dumber is better than Schiedler's List than that's their opinion. And you say that good film is a work of art, then you should know that art is subjective and what works for one person will not work for another.
yes, it's ok to like a bad movie in the same way it's ok to like bad food.  Taste is subjective. You might think chicken McNuggets are the best food ever, but those who critique food for a living will point out the flaws.  Go ahead and argue that your Happy Meal is worthy of anything being served at Joel Robuchon on account of "taste being subjective", but anyone who understands culinary arts will say you're wrong.  It's ok, though.  If chicken McNuggets are your thing, that's totally ok. And even an ardent foodie might have a craving for them once in a while. 

I enjoy plenty of bad movies. I recognize why they are bad though.  In the same way I recognize the bacon egg cheese biscuit I ate for breakfast isn't good food.

Neither phantom menace or "batman v superman" are great movies.  It's ok to like them, though.  I think if people accepted that, there would be a lot less fanboy arguments.  Sometimes the worse the movie, the more people will enjoy it.  If "Sharknado" is your "Godfather"... So be it.  My ex girlfriend's favorite movie of all time was "Tank Girl". It is literally on some of the "worst movies ever" lists.  I didn't judge her for it. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:33:36 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2016, 10:35:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
the bacon egg cheese biscuit I ate for breakfast isn't good food

Lies!

« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
There you go again, saying that it is okay to like a bad movie. I've analyzed and dissected the The Phantom Menance and I feel that it is a work of art. If someone feels that Dumb and Dumber is better than Schiedler's List than that's their opinion. And you say that good film is a work of art, then you should know that art is subjective and what works for one person will not work for another.
yes, it's ok to like a bad movie in the same way it's ok to like bad food.  Taste is subjective. You might think chicken McNuggets are the best food ever, but those who critique food for a living will point out the flaws.  Go ahead and argue that your Happy Meal is worthy of anything being served at Joel Robuchon on account of "taste being subjective", but anyone who understands culinary arts will say you're wrong.  It's ok, though.  If chicken McNuggets are your thing, that's totally ok. And even an ardent foodie might have a craving for them once in a while. 

I enjoy plenty of bad movies. I recognize why they are bad though.  In the same way I recognize the bacon egg cheese biscuit I ate for breakfast isn't good food.

Neither phantom menace or "batman v superman" are great movies.  It's ok to like them, though.  I think if people accepted that, there would be a lot less fanboy arguments.  Sometimes the worse the movie, the more people will enjoy it.  If "Sharknado" is your "Godfather"... So be it.  My ex girlfriend's favorite movie of all time was "Tank Girl". It is literally on some of the "worst movies ever" lists.  I didn't judge her for it.

Again I don't consider them bad movies. People just can't accept that fact that I don't find them bad movies at all.

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Again I don't consider them bad movies. People just can't accept that fact that I don't find them bad movies at all.

Can you concede "flawed movies" that you love? Or do you find them to be Grade A film?

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
the movie was a borderline walkout. i cannot name one thing outside the new r2d2 i liked about the whole scenario or plot or acting or anything.
i loved the original series and i was very excited to watch this one in the cinema
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

In your defense, there are Yelp reviewers with no understanding of the culinary arts who believe they are just as qualified to critique the quality of chicken McNuggets as the Michelin Guide critics.  And if they want to give their local McDonalds 5 stars for achievement in food supremacy, who be us to stop them. 

Go ahead and sing your praises of phantom menace.  That's what "audience ratings" are for.  Every single Madea movie receives favorable reviews from the audience that pays to see them:

Perhaps every movie is "good" simply for existing. Perhaps every Happy Meal should be praised because it beats eating grubs off the ground.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:48:04 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

The point is, everyone has different standards on what makes a good movie. When it comes to things like movie's I don't believe that one is "objectively" better than the other.

Human beings have been telling stories for thousands of years.  In that time, we have actually developed some guidelines or rules for what does and does not constitute a good story.  When someone says "The Godfather" is better than "Ernest Goes to Camp," they are partly expressing an opinion but they are also judging each work on well-established standards of performance and narrative.

Those rules have little to do with personal preference and I've seen a lot of crap movies I've enjoyed more than finely made cinema, but that doesn't mean the rules don't exist or have value.

If a film has a huge plot hole, you may not care about it.  That does not mean the plot hole doesn't exist and it doesn't mean that plot holes are, in general, bad things in movies.

Mike

« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

In your defense, there are Yelp reviewers with no understanding of the culinary arts who believe they are just as qualified to critique the quality of chicken McNuggets as the Michelin Guide critics.  And if they want to give their local McDonalds 5 stars for achievement in food supremacy, who be us to stop them. 

Go ahead and sing your praises of phantom menace.  That's what "audience ratings" are for.  Every single Madea movie receives favorable reviews from the audience that pays to see them:

Perhaps every movie is "good" simply for existing. Perhaps every Happy Meal should be praised because it beats eating grubs off the ground.

Don't be dissin' Madea!  ;D

Seriously, though, I love those movies.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Speakin' of crap movies, has anybody watched the documentary "Electric Boogaloo"? 

Story of Cannon films which made some truly horrific movies in the '80s like He-Man, Superman IV, Over the Top, Breakin', etc...

It's an awesome documentary.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Can you concede "flawed movies" that you love? Or do you find them to be Grade A film?

Could you concede the movies you love flaws? I'm aware my favorite movies have flaws just like hopefully you do. What I reject is the "objective" view that movies and other entertainment is subjected to. You can understand why a lot of people like a movie and examine its impact, but that doesn't necessarily that it is "objectively" better.

« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Human beings have been telling stories for thousands of years.  In that time, we have actually developed some guidelines or rules for what does and does not constitute a good story.  When someone says "The Godfather" is better than "Ernest Goes to Camp," they are partly expressing an opinion but they are also judging each work on well-established standards of performance and narrative.

Those rules have little to do with personal preference and I've seen a lot of crap movies I've enjoyed more than finely made cinema, but that doesn't mean the rules don't exist or have value.

If a film has a huge plot hole, you may not care about it.  That does not mean the plot hole doesn't exist and it doesn't mean that plot holes are, in general, bad things in movies.

Mike

It does depend on how much of the good things the movie does to the point where it outweighs the bad. In other words, It really depends how much you're willing overlook those flaws and acknowledge whatever good things the movie has to offer.