Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 47014 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2016, 02:25:21 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Finally saw it yesterday—I hate crowded theaters, usually wait until there's only about 10 or 20 people in attendance—and it was awesome.

I grew up on the original trilogy, loved them. Was mostly unimpressed with the prequels, but this one had much more of the feel of the originals to me. Though I was really, really bummed when they axed you-know-who. Being a writer, I understand that drama and tension are mostly what drive stories forward and keep audiences hooked, but still, that's a tough pill for me to swallow.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Poe clearly figures out and calls Finn out on just using him to escape the ship and Finn doesn't actually care, at that point, about helping the rebellion.   In fact Finn still doesn't care about helping the rebellion for quite some time after his and Poe's escape.  The movie made sure they had dialogue that clearly pointed out Finn only doing this to help himself.

Yes, you're right. I actually thought about that half an hour after I made my post, but didn't get back to edit it. Poe does call out Finn immediately. Still doesn't change anything about the fact that the whole "Stormtrooper sees the light" angle was only superficially touched upon. Finn is still a very flat character who feels tacked on and only provides comic relief at best.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Watched it today...

Overall really enjoyed it and was entertained by it. Still was hoping for something better.

My biggest gripe was the lost opportunity of a Han Solo and Luke Skywalker duo again after all this time. Also hated that the final events was made all about Rey, when it should've been more about Leia and Chewbacca. I mean, what was the point of that hug between Leia and Rey when they arrived and Chewbacca completely ignored?

What a terrible sense of perspective of what happened.

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2016, 03:20:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Poe clearly figures out and calls Finn out on just using him to escape the ship and Finn doesn't actually care, at that point, about helping the rebellion.   In fact Finn still doesn't care about helping the rebellion for quite some time after his and Poe's escape.  The movie made sure they had dialogue that clearly pointed out Finn only doing this to help himself.

Yes, you're right. I actually thought about that half an hour after I made my post, but didn't get back to edit it. Poe does call out Finn immediately. Still doesn't change anything about the fact that the whole "Stormtrooper sees the light" angle was only superficially touched upon. Finn is still a very flat character who feels tacked on and only provides comic relief at best.
I like Finn because he is more average joe than the typical hero. He is the only one that acts like it's crazy to want to be in a star wars. Him wanting no part is exactly how a majority of people would behave afterall. I could also see him becoming the sad ending twist of being killed and/or indoctrinated again into a villain. Kylo and Finn have the biggest character change potential.

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Watched it today...

Overall really enjoyed it and was entertained by it. Still was hoping for something better.

My biggest gripe was the lost opportunity of a Han Solo and Luke Skywalker duo again after all this time. Also hated that the final events was made all about Rey, when it should've been more about Leia and Chewbacca. I mean, what was the point of that hug between Leia and Rey when they arrived and Chewbacca completely ignored?

What a terrible sense of perspective of what happened.
Yeah they missed that one for sure. Maybe they went into it more but it got cut?

« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
a total disappointment of a movie. I was really hyped about it. The storyline is god terrible, there was so much potential and they ruined it.
the best part(sarcasm) of the movie was when they made the plan to destroy that death planet. it was like:
-let's destroy it
-but it has shields
-we'll disable the shields
-okay, let's go

i swear if i could only read the transcript i would call that a new Family Guy Star Wars movie(witch would actually be really great by the way, i loved them so far :D )
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I thought it sorta sucked as a Star Wars movie

« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2016, 12:38:29 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
First things first, I still can't why they're some guys who can't accept the fact that there are a lot of people who legitimately believe that the prequels are good movies. Seriously why are you guys so threatened when people say they are good movies. Aren't movies supposed to be subjective? I liked the prequels and felt that they were well made. Does that make me a lesser fan? A person with bad taste in movies? In denial that they are bad movies? No, I just loved the story and characters, I felt they were interesting and complex. If you don't like the Prequels, fine but I ask that please respectful towards those who think differently from you. Some of you guy sound like Donald Trump the way you spew venom towards prequel fans.  ;)

With that out of the way and this is overdue. I liked the The Force Awakens.

« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2016, 01:11:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
First things first, I still can't why they're some guys who can't accept the fact that there are a lot of people who legitimately believe that the prequels are good movies. Seriously why are you guys so threatened when people say they are good movies. Aren't movies supposed to be subjective? I liked the prequels and felt that they were well made. Does that make me a lesser fan? A person with bad taste in movies? In denial that they are bad movies? No, I just loved the story and characters, I felt they were interesting and complex. If you don't like the Prequels, fine but I ask that please respectful towards those who think differently from you. Some of you guy sound like Donald Trump the way you spew venom towards prequel fans.  ;)

I'll try to give a simplified answer, because this crosses over a lot with the recent feelings towards "Batman V Superman".  It's a mediocre/bad movie that is making tons of money.  DC fanboys/apologists are upset with the critics.

Movies are subjective to a point.  There's certain attributes that scholars/critics/academy voters/etc use to determine the quality of a film.   Story is always important.  The performances always matter.  Visual style/cinematography always matters.   It's ability to take someone on an emotional journey always matters.  To get the viewer to see things differently.  If you take any "Film as Literature" class they will get you to understand the depth and hidden meaning of aspects.   It can convey a message.   Great film is a work of art.   

Rottentomatoes's scoring scale is silly.  It's a measure of what % of critics thought a movie was watchable.  If every single critic scored a movie a 2.5 out of 4, it would be considered "100% certified Fresh" on RottenTomatoes.  It's basically a percentage of "thumbs up" vs "thumbs down".    I gravitate towards metacritic.com.  It takes every critical review, converts it to a 1-100 score, adds weighting depending on the publication, and tries to come up with a consensus score measuring the quality of the film.   With some exceptions, I generally agree with the critical consensus.  I understand why they come to those conclusions.  I understand why they are docking points and what they are celebrating. 

People have various opinions and it's fine to break certain film conventions.  Filmmakers are celebrated for breaking conventions and innovating.  Despite this, as someone who studied film, it's not hard for me to spot issues that prevent a film from being considered "great".   It doesn't take a film scholar to understand why a movie like "Weekend at Bernies" isn't on the same level as a film like "Schindler's List".

That said, it's completely fine if you like "Weekend at Bernies" significantly more than "Schindler's List".   Understand that you can measure the quality of a film separate from your enjoyment of it.   There's plenty of bad movies I've enjoyed.   Nobody in their right mind would call the "Fast and Furious" franchise Oscar-worthy films, but I watch every single of one them.  I watch movies like "Dumb and Dumber To" knowing full well it will be garbage, but sometimes I just want to watch a stupid comedy.   I watch a movie like "Entourage: The Movie" fully understanding it's trash, but enjoying aspects of it.   One of my favorite movies of all time is "Hook".  I'm getting Rufio's autograph this weekend at a comicon.  That movie was widely panned by critics and I totally understand why.   

Point is, "Phantom Menace" had significant flaws.  "Batman v Superman" has significant flaws.  Neither is a great movie.  You can still love them for any number of reasons.  It's ok to like a bad movie.   In the same way that you might prefer a 20 piece Chicken McNugget over a $150 plate of "Sea urchin atop a purée of fennel and potato with citrus jus" from 3-Michelin star restaurant.   It's totally ok to like the McNuggets more.  Everyone has different tastes.  But understand why one is regarded as a culinary achievement and the other is considered edible garbage.

« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2016, 01:35:55 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
There you go again, saying that it is okay to like a bad movie. I've analyzed and dissected the The Phantom Menance and I feel that it is a work of art. If someone feels that Dumb and Dumber is better than Schiedler's List than that's their opinion. And you say that good film is a work of art, then you should know that art is subjective and what works for one person will not work for another.

« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2016, 10:25:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Was it the fart jokes or the terrible acting that you enjoyed? ;)

Every movie will have at least some fans. Some people prefer Uwe Boll to Shakespeare. As works of art, though, one is objectively superior to the other.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:30:40 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Was it the fart jokes or the terrible acting that you enjoyed? ;)

Every movie will have at least some fans. Some people prefer Uwe Boll to Shakespeare. As works of art, though, one is objectively superior to the other.

Well I think that the acting was on par with the OT.  ;D As for your art comments how is it objective? By what measure and who's judging it? Honestly (I'm not calling you out just an observation) I think who say that a work of art is objectively superior to one another is just using to put people down, judging from these comments here.