Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 47198 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I actually liked the character of Finn. A Stormtrooper with a crisis of conscience?
He's also a practical impossibility in the SW universe, since all stormtroopers were cloned from Jango Fett, and Jango Fett wasn't black. So there's that.  ;D

The troopers in the Clone Wars were clones.   The stormtroopers in the original trilogy aren't clones. 

And the stormtroopers in VII were basically children stolen from families and brainwashed into stormtroopers.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I actually liked the character of Finn. A Stormtrooper with a crisis of conscience?
He's also a practical impossibility in the SW universe, since all stormtroopers were cloned from Jango Fett, and Jango Fett wasn't black. So there's that.  ;D

The troopers in the Clone Wars were clones.   The stormtroopers in the original trilogy aren't clones. 

And the stormtroopers in VII were basically children stolen from families and brainwashed into stormtroopers.

Yeah, there's a quick throwaway line where Hux (General Weasley) gets defensive about how his stormtroopers are better than clones.  I think it was implied or maybe spelled out that there are still some clone armies out there somewhere (not necessarily in the First Order), but the current stormtroopers aren't it.  Otherwise the female stormtrooper doesn't make any sense either.

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Stormtroopers in the original trilogy certainly include the clones from the Clone Wars, but you're right that there are other Stormtroopers at that point, too.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
The Stormtroopers in the original trilogy certainly include the clones from the Clone Wars, but you're right that there are other Stormtroopers at that point, too.

Not to get all hyper-nerd on you, but no, the clone troopers are all out of service by the original movie.  Mainly because the rapid aging that let the army be raised so quickly made them all too old to fight within a couple decades.

...please don't make me post a Wookiepedia link to support this.   :-\

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2015, 01:16:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Not to get all hyper-nerd on you, but no, the clone troopers are all out of service by the original movie.  Mainly because the rapid aging that let the army be raised so quickly made them all too old to fight within a couple decades.

I'm not going to outnerd anyone on SW (I'm more of a LOTR guy), but wasn't that an expanded universe factoid?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Yeah, there's a quick throwaway line where Hux (General Weasley) gets defensive about how his stormtroopers are better than clones.  I think it was implied or maybe spelled out that there are still some clone armies out there somewhere (not necessarily in the First Order), but the current stormtroopers aren't it.  Otherwise the female stormtrooper doesn't make any sense either.

Right. Additionally, why would a clone need "reconditioning?" Obedience would have been genetically engineered from the get-go, no?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I'm not going to outnerd anyone on SW (I'm more of a LOTR guy), but wasn't that an expanded universe factoid?

I'm pretty sure the current Rebels CGI cartoon is considered official and it was primarily from there. 

...btw, not a bad show overall, definitely for a younger audience but not all that "kiddie".  Some likable characters and interesting plots.

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2015, 02:11:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm pretty sure the current Rebels CGI cartoon is considered official and it was primarily from there. 

...btw, not a bad show overall, definitely for a younger audience but not all that "kiddie".  Some likable characters and interesting plots.

They've actually done a pretty solid job filling in some gaps from Revenge of the Sith to New Hope. 

It's definitely not that "kiddie" based on some of the plotlines and stuff going.

Also, the expanded universe stuff pretty much got chucked out the window when Disney took over and, basically, Disney is stamping what is canon outside the 7 films.  The "Rebels" cartoon is canon.

Although, you can certainly see some concepts from EU novels being used.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have a couple issues with a 3rd Death Star. Ironically the first seemed the hardest to kill, and the others relied on shields.

Next, it seems entirely too expensive and time consuming, and if something goes wrong you have a very serious problem. 

Next, this time around they didn't have the resources of the empire to draw on. You would think the Republic would have made this really difficult for them.

Suspend reason.  It's like Dr.Evil wanting his sharks with laser beams.  They wanted a bigger badder Death Star with a new "weapon".

It kind of bugged me that the weapon was only referred to as "the weapon".  Something along the lines of the  Illudium PU- 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Yup

« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I did not get the whole "nostalgia" thing.  I did not need Star Wars nostalgia. The nostalgia was going to come naturally from Han, Chewie, Luke, R2, C3PO, and Leia, and the prequels made it pretty clear there was going to be a certain nostalgic ship as well. And it would be fighting nostalgic tie fighters.

But I was very much under the impression it would be a NEW movie. Meaning new plots, new planets, new ships, new weapons, new themes, new problems, new characters, NNNNNEEEEEEEWWWW.

Instead I got recycled. Didn't have that new movie smell. Got that "we just stole your money after we mailed it in" smell.

God even the minor parts are recycled. I mean a thousand year old small person who is wise and knows the Force? Geeze. Is Maz Yoda's little sister or something?  Just dumb.

lol I find it wild anyone can actually think this about the movie.

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2015, 06:54:07 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Why on earth do you keep repeating this?

It is wrong.

They stopped using clones before A New Hope, and this has even been pointed out to you.

« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I did not get the whole "nostalgia" thing.  I did not need Star Wars nostalgia. The nostalgia was going to come naturally from Han, Chewie, Luke, R2, C3PO, and Leia, and the trailers made it pretty clear there was going to be a certain nostalgic ship as well. And it would be fighting nostalgic tie fighters.

But I was very much under the impression it would be a NEW movie. Meaning new plots, new planets, new ships, new weapons, new themes, new problems, new characters, NNNNNEEEEEEEWWWW.

Instead I got recycled. Didn't have that new movie smell. Got that "we just stole your money after we mailed it in" smell.

God even the minor parts are recycled. I mean a thousand year old small person who is wise and knows the Force? Geeze. Is Maz Yoda's little sister or something?  Just dumb.

« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I did not get the whole "nostalgia" thing.  I did not need Star Wars nostalgia. The nostalgia was going to come naturally from Han, Chewie, Luke, R2, C3PO, and Leia, and the trailers made it pretty clear there was going to be a certain nostalgic ship as well. And it would be fighting nostalgic tie fighters.

? Not saying you are wrong, or cannot feel that way. I just find it hard to believe anyone could go to the movie and leave thinking that.

« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

? Not saying you are wrong, or cannot feel that way. I just find it hard to believe anyone could go to the movie and leave thinking that.
That was an accident. I tried to modify something and ended up quoting it....and modifying it slightly.

It's a plagiarized plot

A droid has to guard important information on a desert planet where the people live at the margins and then finds help from someone strong in the force. Then that person is chased by an evil empire run by a Sith in a helmet. Then they get off that planet in the Millennium Falcon doing some shooting from the blaster cannons and Han Solo and Chewy take them to the rebellion. And then they fight a planet size space station and infiltrate it with almost no plan and destroy it with X-Wings......Yeah. And in the mean time a major father figure character could die off.

I've seen that movie before. It was better the first time.

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

That was an accident. I tried to modify something and ended up quoting it....and modifying it slightly.

It's a plagiarized plot

A droid has to guard important information on a desert planet where the people live at the margins and then finds help from someone strong in the force. Then that person is chased by an evil empire run by a Sith in a helmet. Then they get off that planet in the Millennium Falcon doing some shooting from the blaster cannons and Han Solo and Chewy take them to the rebellion. And then they fight a planet size space station and infiltrate it with almost no plan and destroy it with X-Wings......Yeah. And in the mean time a major father figure character could die off.

I've seen that movie before. It was better the first time.

Indeed there were quite a few parallels. Saying it is the exact same is showing a lack of attention to the details that made it different.

I believe the similarities were just a way to introduce new characters and set up the plot of the trilogy, as well as some nice nostalgia (considering it was almost 40 years since that movie came out).

If the next movie is just as similar to TESB, I will change my viewpoint, but personally I very much enjoyed the plot similarities.