Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 46969 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I thought it was good, not great.

The two things I didn't like:

1.  Kylo Ren. He's a whiny emo punk. First Peter Parker, then Anakin Skywalker, now Ben Solo.  Enough. There's nothing wrong with making a villain bad ass; he doesn't need daddy issues.

2.  You don't kill Han Solo, period. He's a larger than life hero, and those guys shouldn't die. I get it, Obi Wan died, but Han's death was gratuitous.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Roy with the big spoiler.

I think any major Star Wars fan went in expecting that.  Harrison ford has been adamant that Han Solo should have died in empire strikes back.  He probably refused to take the role without getting his death. Lol. 

I disagree about kylo ren.   Adam driver was great in it.  He's what anakin SHOULD have been.  I also think people are confused about the timeline.  He's not a Sith master.  From what I understand, he was displaying signs of aggression and "the dark side".  Snoke probably got to him at a young age since it would be obvious that a kid with skywalker blood would have force sensitivity.  But he was likely untrained... Just turning to the dark side.   Leia saw "too much Vader in him" so she sent him to Luke with hopes that Luke could get through to him.  Luke couldn't...  He killed all the other Jedi trainees and went full blown dark side.   Point is, I'm not sure he's really had much training of his own.   And we know very little about Rey... And what kind of training she may have had as a young girl.   My guess is she was either a padawan who somehow didn't get murdered by kylo ren.... So she was put into hiding. Or... More likely she's Luke's daughter. There were several things that pointed to her being Luke's daughter.

Anyways, I've seen it twice. I loved it.  I feel bad for anyone who left the theater disappointed.  It was everything I wanted out of a Star Wars movie.  It got me pumped up.  It made grown men in the theater squeal with delight like children. My girlfriend's 50 year old uncle said he wanted to buy all the action figures...   It brought back their childhood.  They love Star Wars again.  Mission accomplished by JJ Abrams.  If you didn't feel that way after seeing it, that's too bad for you, I guess.  The drug didn't work on you.  I'm still giddy.

Many mysteries remain.  Now we get to see another great young director (rian johnson) start to answer some of them.  Time to explore some new worlds, get a taste of old man Luke, and see where this journey takes us. Is Snoke Darth Plageius?  Is Rey a former youngling mind-wiped and having a Borne Identity moment?   Will Fin be a paraplegic?   Will Kylo finish his training?  Will he turn to the light side?  Will Poe Dameron turn to the dark side ?  What secrets are in store?  Gotta wait two years to find out.  Star Wars is back, baby.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:28:05 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What does Kylo have that Anakin didn't have? He's got more humor but no skill at all with a lightsaber.

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2015, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
What does Kylo have that Anakin didn't have?
Acting ability, mainly.  A lot of the prequels could have been saved with just better acting and writing.  I studied film and see almost every movie that comes out in a theater. I'm a movie fanatic.  The prequels were just total hackery.  So many fundamental things were wrong with them.  George Lucas was a bad director.  The acting was horrible. The characters sucked.  The core concept sucked.  It didn't follow proper story conventions.    So many things needed to be cut out of them.  There was too much reliance on CGI and effects.  Look, I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said endlessly for the past 15 years.  Go watch the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels if you don't understand why they are so despised and why they could be critically panned while Episode 7 is critically adored:  http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Here's part 1, Eja.  Highly entertaining.  Watch it and think about how Force Awakens addresses all of those complaints.  It will explain to you why "Force Awakens" had to go back to basics to win over a jilted audience.  These reviews are almost more entertaining than the movies themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D&v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Also, Kylo Ren in two scenes simply interrogating people seemed more frightening and dangerous than anakin when he was slaughtering entire temples filled with children.  Hayden Christensen just comes across like a femmy pre-pubescent pretty boy in a costume.  Adam Driver made Kylo ren actually believable.  He's nowhere near as powerful as Anakin was... But he's unhinged... He's flawed... He's fearful and angry... He's torn inside... He displayed real emotion and I'm interested to see how he grows as a character and threat. 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:52:32 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Oh yeah....Adam Driver has a major academy award nomination coming his way.   If we have to talk about guys who acted through a mask I'll take Dave Prowse or Boba Fett.

I will take Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christiansen, Ian McDiarmid, Samuel Jackson, and Christopher Lee over anyone in this film, and that might even include a tired and disinterested Harrison Ford.

Furthermore let's make this clear about these "reviews".  Disney is a major player in Hollywood, but Lucas was despised. They tried to make him change his movies so he told them to go f themselves and left the director's guild. He's better than them and above them and they know it. "Reviews" was the only revenge they could get.

So now they feed us this junk and give it good "reviews". Disney made a billion dollar investment. There was no way the reviews were gonna be bad.

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Oh yeah....Adam Driver has a major academy award nomination coming his way.   If we have to talk about guys who acted through a mask I'll take Dave Prowse or Boba Fett.

I will take Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christiansen, Ian McDiarmid, Samuel Jackson, and Christopher Lee over anyone in this film, and that might even include a tired and disinterested Harrison Ford.

Furthermore let's make this clear about these "reviews".  Disney is a major player in Hollywood, but Lucas was despised. They tried to make him change his movies so he told them to go f themselves and left the director's guild. He's better than them and above them and they know it. "Reviews" was the only revenge they could get.

So now they feed us this junk and give it good "reviews". Disney made a billion dollar investment. There was no way the reviews were gonna be bad.
Nah.  That's utter nonsense.   Major Disney films get panned all the time.

ANyways, watch the Red Letter Media review series.  Highly entertaining and will explain to you why the prequels were despised and why this movie had to go back to basics.   If you do end up watching them, I'll be interested to see your response. 

Part 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D&v=FxKtZmQgxrI

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

ANyways, watch the Red Letter Media review series.  Highly entertaining and will explain to you why the prequels were despised and why this movie had to go back to basics.   If you do end up watching them, I'll be interested to see your response. 

Disney films get panned all the time? Ones that they spent billions to buy?

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Dude that's a reach.  Am i really going to have to waste my time explaining why critics aren't paid off by studios?  Again, the core issue here is that you don't understand why people dislike the prequels.  Watch the Red Letter Media reviews and get back to me. 

For what it's worth, Episode 7 has an 81/100 on Metacritic.  That's very high.  I don't think a single Marvel movie (owned by Disney) has scored as highly as Episode 7.   On metacritic, the avengers movies scored in the 60s.   Some of score in the Marvel character movies score in the 40s/50s.   The Hobbit movies are some of the most expensive films ever made and those all were widely panned by critics (scoring in the 50s)... in your twisted world does only Disney have the money to pay off movie critics?  The most expensive movie of all time, "Pirates of the Caribbean:  On Stranger Tides" is... Disney... and scored a 45 on Metacritic.  It reportedly had a budget of 375 million.   

This is nonsense.  It's also received unanimous praise from people who have been dumping on Star Wars for the past 15 years.   You think they were all paid off?

Maybe I was paid off too.  We were all paid off!! Muhahaha.   Silly...  these movies could have been completely panned and would have still made a zillion dollars...

If you're incapable of comprehending what people are loving about this movie, I don't really know what to tell you.  It's mostly just a shame you couldn't enjoy it.  The movie isn't without flaws (literally no Star Wars movie is... ultimately they are all just homages (or "rip offs" if you'd prefer) to classic films with a cliche story arc and a heavy dose of stupidity), but it's a ton of fun... and that's what Star Wars is supposed to be. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:04:26 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The Hobbit movies weren't as good as the LOTR movies and everyone knew that.

Your politics free Hollywood idea is a very interesting theory.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
#2 - No sense of humor - The prequels seemed like they were written by someone with autism or something.  No sense of humor at all.  In the original, they were able to improvise slightly.  Han had swagger.  It was light hearted and fun.

I don't have a problem with ideas of yours that others perceive to be obnoxious at times and it's perfectly fine if you don't like a movie, but to be so inconceivably insulting and offensive towards people with autism is not only unacceptable, but is also, as a move, lower than Sam Hinkie's win total, I'm sorry.

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Prequels weren't "despised" like you or the reviewer claims. They have a lot of fans, I don't like the "go watch this review" argument because it's lazy and the reviewer slanders and strawman George Lucas.

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Dude that's a reach.  Am i really going to have to waste my time explaining why critics aren't paid off by studios?  Again, the core issue here is that you don't understand why people dislike the prequels.  Watch the Red Letter Media reviews and get back to me. 

For what it's worth, Episode 7 has an 81/100 on Metacritic.  That's very high.  I don't think a single Marvel movie (owned by Disney) has scored as highly as Episode 7.   On metacritic, the avengers movies scored in the 60s.   Some of score in the Marvel character movies score in the 40s/50s.   The Hobbit movies are some of the most expensive films ever made and those all were widely panned by critics (scoring in the 50s)... in your twisted world does only Disney have the money to pay off movie critics?  The most expensive movie of all time, "Pirates of the Caribbean:  On Stranger Tides" is... Disney... and scored a 45 on Metacritic.  It reportedly had a budget of 375 million.   

This is nonsense.  It's also received unanimous praise from people who have been dumping on Star Wars for the past 15 years.   You think they were all paid off?

Maybe I was paid off too.  We were all paid off!! Muhahaha.   Silly...  these movies could have been completely panned and would have still made a zillion dollars...

If you're incapable of comprehending what people are loving about this movie, I don't really know what to tell you.  It's mostly just a shame you couldn't enjoy it.  The movie isn't without flaws (literally no Star Wars movie is... ultimately they are all just homages (or "rip offs" if you'd prefer) to classic films with a cliche story arc and a heavy dose of stupidity), but it's a ton of fun... and that's what Star Wars is supposed to be.

The prequels were "hated" too, and the blu-ray versions made a lot of money so does that mean they're good?

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2015, 08:42:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
#2 - No sense of humor - The prequels seemed like they were written by someone with autism or something.  No sense of humor at all.  In the original, they were able to improvise slightly.  Han had swagger.  It was light hearted and fun.

I don't have a problem with ideas of yours that others perceive to be obnoxious at times and it's perfectly fine if you don't like a movie, but to be so inconceivably insulting and offensive towards people with autism is not only unacceptable, but is also, as a move, lower than Sam Hinkie's win total, I'm sorry.
Maybe you find it offensive if you don't know much about the autism spectrum (or are familiar with other famous celebrities, artists, directors who are autistic).  I have spent a lot of time with folks with high functioning autism.  Some of them are very smart, but have difficulty comprehending certain emotions... and humor is often a difficult thing for them to grasp.  An autistic girl I worked with simply didn't understand jokes unless they were puns. She loved puns.  I also know someone who knows George Lucas personally and he insists he shows all the signs of high functioning autism.  There's been a lot of speculation in the autism community for a while that Lucas has Asperger’s Syndrome based on elements of his personality and how his writing lacks emotion (fwiw, Helena Bonham Carter claimed that Tim Burton also had all the signs of asperger's).  Sorry if the comment comes across flippant or if my use of the word "autism" was a trigger (I think some people confuse autism with down's syndrome), but I was more commenting on  the way those prequels were written, what the focus of the movies was on, how stunted/flat the dialogue was... and generally how the characters interacted with each other.  They seemed to lack a basic understanding of how real people interact with each other.  The reviewer in the video I linked says it felt like it was written by an 8 year old.  Maybe instead I should have said the prequels seem like they were written by someone with social problems... and I've heard from someone who knows him directly that George Lucas has social problems... and have seen many interviews in which people described him as an anti-social introvert with an obsessive personality.  He apparently had never been easy to get along with on sets... and I suspect that if Harrison Ford had not been clashing with Lucas and making up his own lines in the original movie, it probably wouldn't have worked as well. 

Anyways...  a lot of the best parts of the original trilogy didn't actually come from Lucas.   Lots of improvisation, both Empire and Jedi (and Episode 7) were written by Lawrence Kasden.  There were elements that were added in spite of him.  Lucas also wasn't the director on either "Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of the Jedi".   There was a lot more collaboration in the original trilogy.   With the prequels, Lucas took over the entire thing (all writing and directing responsibilities) and ultimately failed.  I think Lucas strength is world-building and ideas... I'm not sure he was ever a great director.  He should consult, create plot elements, give input on the world... and then step back and let people with a sense of humor and understanding of storytelling principles write the screenplay and direct the film.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:43:03 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The prequels were "hated" too, and the blu-ray versions made a lot of money so does that mean they're good?
Nope.   It means that had this movie gotten poor reviews, it would have broken records anyways.  It's getting good reviews, because it's a fun movie that people enjoyed. 

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Prequels weren't "despised" like you or the reviewer claims. They have a lot of fans, I don't like the "go watch this review" argument because it's lazy and the reviewer slanders and strawman George Lucas.
Sure... I'll concede that some people who were children when Phantom Menace came out really like "Jar Jar"...  Overall, those movies were seen as a giant disappointment...   They are widely seen as the biggest failure of George Lucas' career... and the massive amount of backlash they received played a significant part in Lucas selling the rights and moving on.  A large chunk of dedicated Star Wars fans hated him for what he did with the "special editions" and the prequels.  They blamed him for "ruining" Star Wars.   Is this not common knowledge?  This is a strange thread... I thought this was common knowledge.

Naturally, some fans will hate the new movie too.  Most of that stems from a failure to live up to unrealistic expectations.  People grew up watching these movies as kids... and they were the greatest thing ever.  It was also the cutting edge of special effects in cinema for the 70s.  Impossible to re-capture that.  It's very difficult for anything to live up to your imagination as a child.  Of the original trilogy, not all three of those movies are great.  We give them a pass, because we grew up with them and watched them as kids, but I mean... if you look at "Return of the Jedi" in particular, it's a movie about a race of teddy bears winning a war.  At the time, some fans hated that.   I think the prequels have something like a 60% fan approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.   "Episode 7" is sitting in the low 90s right now.  Seems for the bulk of the audience, is on a par with the original trilogy and did as good a job as it possibly could of bringing them back to their childhood.   

The point that it borrowed too heavily from the original is valid, but I think it was necessary given the circumstances of what they were attempting to do.  They needed to gain back the trust of fans.  If it aint broke don't fix it.  So you get a classic "Heroes Journey" arc set in the Star Wars universe.   And in a way, complaining about this borrowing from the original would be like complaining that Justin Timberlake borrows too heavily from Michael Jackson... even though Michael Jackson was borrowing heavily from Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, James Brown, etc.   The original Star Wars movies borrowed from all sorts of popular science fiction or hero stories of the past (such as Star Trek, Flash Gordon, "Seven Samurai ", etc).  For those who support Lucas, how can you dog on them "borrowing" from the originals when Lucas himself felt that each trilogy should be like poetry rhyming with one another.  All that has happened will happen again.   Anakin's story mirror's luke's mirror's rey.  It's fitting for that world.   

You can't please everyone... but the core elements of what makes "Star Wars" so [dang] enjoyable were all there.  Is it too similar to the original?  I guess.  But that's what people wanted... they wanted more of the original.  Is Timberlake too similar to Michael Jackson?  Sure... but that's not going to make his singing and dancing any less entertaining.   In my opinion, JJ/Disney nailed it.  Overall, the fan base is hooked... ready for more.  Gonna be a fun ride.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:25:56 PM by LarBrd33 »