Author Topic: Carrie Fisher is Awesome  (Read 9790 times)

Carrie Fisher is Awesome
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Carrie Fisher is Awesome
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:04:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Honestly, I was really surprised to see you as the author of this post given the Halloween/free speech/appropriation debate we had awhile back. Lol

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Also, this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1t2MJDbrs

I'd wonder what that father tells his daughter about why people at beaches or swimming pools are in those outfits.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Honestly, I was really surprised to see you as the author of this post given the Halloween/free speech/appropriation debate we had awhile back. Lol

You're surprised I posted something about a woman who speaks her mind, unvarnished, about a stupid fan-servicey costume she had to wear, and her experience in Hollywood in general?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You're surprised I posted something about a woman who speaks her mind, unvarnished, about a stupid fan-servicey costume she had to wear, and her experience in Hollywood in general?

To a good extent her experience in Hollywood in general was getting famous and earning a lot of money. She's not happy that the producer or director asked her to wear that outfit, but the fact that she'd look good in that outfit is one of the main reasons that she got that gig in the first place.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

To a good extent her experience in Hollywood in general was getting famous and earning a lot of money. She's not happy that the producer or director asked her to wear that outfit, but the fact that she'd look good in that outfit is one of the main reasons that she got that gig in the first place.

Sure ... but can you blame her for being bitter about that?  That was the part of those movies that has stayed with people?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:30:48 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Sure ... but can you blame her for being bitter about that?  That was the part of those movies that has stayed with people?

I'd wager that she's taken full advantage of the fame that came her way, and I'd guess she's happier with the way things turned out than she'd have been if she hadn't taken advantage of her looks to be even considered for that role.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Part of the reason I don't feel sorry for her having worn that is because she basically demanded that kind of outfit and then wore it everywhere on set and refused the tape stuff resulting in many wardrobe malfunctions and also wore it again for a rolling stone beach shoot.  She also wore it in a small advertisement

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'd wager that she's taken full advantage of the fame that came her way, and I'd guess she's happier with the way things turned out than she'd have been if she hadn't taken advantage of her looks to be even considered for that role.

OK, fine, even if all of that is true ... can you blame her for being bitter that the space bikini is maybe the most enduring scene of that movie for a lot of people?

I don't understand why it's so important to you to push against that.  So women in Hollywood get ahead, or not, because of their looks.  The ones that benefit from that can't resent the fact that they're evaluated based on how attractive they are?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Part of the reason I don't feel sorry for her having worn that is because she basically demanded that kind of outfit and then wore it everywhere on set and refused the tape stuff resulting in many wardrobe malfunctions and also wore it again for a rolling stone beach shoot.  She also wore it in a small advertisement

I haven't heard about any of that ... is there an article you can link to or something?  I'd be interested to read about it.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I actually sorta thought that was common knowledge. I assumed all males worship the outfit like myself

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

OK, fine, even if all of that is true ... can you blame her for being bitter that the space bikini is maybe the most enduring scene of that movie for a lot of people?

I don't understand why it's so important to you to push against that.  So women in Hollywood get ahead, or not, because of their looks.  The ones that benefit from that can't resent the fact that they're evaluated based on how attractive they are?
yes, yes I can.  she created an icon moment on film.  most actors would kill for that. 

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
What I've seen people talking about regarding this issue is pretty much the same issue that you had regarding wearing a Native American Halloween outfit. Since it was a "slave" outfit, they thought it was offensive to African-Americans and other potential peoples who have been enslaved in history. That's why I found it curious given your previous opinions on the matter.

Apparently this is talking about more of a sexism issue, though, so apparently we were talking about two different issues regarding the same situation. I'll need to watch the YouTube video.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
This is our culture today, though—hypersexualized. And this is part of the fruit of that. Lots of people want to be rich and/or famous, and sure, some of them have talent, but for a lot of them it boils down to looks, and a lot of them are willing to do a whole lot of "physical stuff" for the fame and fortune. Some of them say they want to be remembered for being "more than a hot body," but often that was their primary route to notoriety.

So they succeed, in large part, because of looks, but then they talk about how that's sexist—and I agree, it is sexist, but they're helping feed the beast.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Maybe as a "millennial" or someone who grew up in the internet age and having seen all the movies, the outfit only stands out because it's talked about so much. When I watched the movie growing up I was more focused on the giant slug and frozen Han, but that's just me. 
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)