Author Topic: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.  (Read 74167 times)

Re: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240440/Jerry-Colangelo-No-Change-Of-Course-For-76ers-Plan

Jerry Colangelo believes the Philadelphia 76ers will improve their record sooner rather than later. Colangelo also admitted that Sam Hinkie has done a good job of accumulating assets.

"There's no guarantee, but the thing you have to do is give people hope," Colangelo said to reporters after attending the Sixers practice at PCOM. "This isn't like, let's look down the road five years and see where we are. No, I don't see that at all. I see the opportunity here to get some big things done over the next year."

Colangelo was hired to help Hinkie accelerate his timeline.

"There's one way to go here and that's up," Colangelo said. "I'm very optimistic [and], you've got to be a little bit lucky, too, in terms of all the things I'm talking about. I use the expression, 'The stars have to be aligned,' and if we have a good alignment, it could happen in '16. So, we could have a turnaround in one year that would surprise people."

Hinkie has been to Phoenix several times to confer with Colangelo.

"As far as the plan, whatever people think the plan is, nothing is changing as far as a course," Colangelo said. "The reality is, and I've come to understand this, that Sam has really done a great job of accumulating assets. Now, it's a matter of when do you pull the trigger on using all those assets. So, as I look at the board, if you will, I see some things that could happen sooner than later."

So basically... tank until the Summer as intended and deal with it then.

I think this is probably right. The Sixers likely want to see where there draft pick ends up, and get a better handle on Embiid's health, before making a major move. It'd be stupid to get antsy now when the tank is finally reaching it's intended value.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2016, 01:48:39 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
He never said that the goal is to tank for the rest of the season, and as a matter of fact, the Ish Smith and Elton Brand deals show that the Sixers have in fact changed course.

I hate this...

But it is true. The sad part is they could have claimed Smith off of waivers. Hinkie, for all the hate can trade with the best of them. If you think he gave up 2 early 2nds without some nudging for Ish Smith you're crazy.

The real culprit though is that they just haven't gotten enough outta the draft the past 2 years. Especially in the back court.

« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2016, 12:32:08 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2016, 03:34:25 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
He never said that the goal is to tank for the rest of the season, and as a matter of fact, the Ish Smith and Elton Brand deals show that the Sixers have in fact changed course.
those players aren't a change in course at all.
Those are exactly the kind of moves that Hinkie was opposed to until Colangelo came along.  They would always get rid of marginal veterans to aquire second round picks, not the other way around.  It's completely opposite from what they have been doing.

Though to be fair...

They kept Jason Richardson and Luc Mbah a Moute on the roster last year as veteran mentors. They acquired and kept Ish Smith last year.

« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2016, 04:18:37 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I hate this...

But it is true. The sad part is they could have claimed Smith off of waivers. Hinkie, for all the hate can trade with the best of them. If you think he gave up 2 early 2nds without some nudging for Ish Smith you're crazy.

The real culprit though is that they just haven't gotten enough outta the draft the past 2 years. Especially in the back court.

I'm not sure it's just about not getting enough out of the players he drafted, I think it also has a lot to do with the kind of players he drafted and the moves he made.

Drafting Embiid, who's injury you knew about and you knew wouldn't make an impact for at least a year or two was one. Saric, who you knew wasn't coming over for a while, this not making an impact is another. Picking Okafor when you already had Noel as your only real on-the-court blue chipper was part of it. Having to play those two guys together has lowered the trade value of both of them. Trading a ROY PG you just drafted for a pick (though that was a good trade value wise), while sending out a team of d-leaguers is one too.

Above all, I think Hinkie's real problem was that he got so caught up in the "collecting of assets" part of it, and prioritized high draft picks SO much, that he ignored the human aspect of building a team, and didn't spin his assets into a roster someone could look at and say "Yeah, that's a good young core" because they don't have much except a couple of blue-chip 5's that can't play together and a bunch of future picks, instead of a couple good young guards you can be excited about growing into something, a nice young wing you see growing into his role, and a big man prospect your designing a team around.

That was his real flaw. He cared more about racking up L's in the name of a high pick than establishing a system, and drafting/trading/signing young players to fit that system and grow into something greater.

« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2016, 10:56:30 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Very good Lowe Post podcast with Sam the Man Hinkie today. Interesting to hear his thoughts on his rebuild first hand, hear his thoughts on Ainge and the Celtics front office (very complimentary) and his insight on the Philly decision making process. Highly recommended.

« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2016, 12:30:15 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Very good Lowe Post podcast with Sam the Man Hinkie today. Interesting to hear his thoughts on his rebuild first hand, hear his thoughts on Ainge and the Celtics front office (very complimentary) and his insight on the Philly decision making process. Highly recommended.
Sounds like Embiid is close to being fully cleared.   Really will be a fascinating offseason.  I'm really interested to see what they do with all those chips.

« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2016, 02:30:06 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Lowe is a fantastic journalist. He controlled the interview in the exact way he needed to extract as much from Hinkie as possible. That split second of silence when he asked "is it a problem that you don't have that player (a superstar prospect) yet?" was absolutely priceless.

I got the feeling that Hinkie is quite resentful of the Celtics, particularly regarding the flak he's getting for routing Isaiah to us instead of including him in the package he got from Phoenix. He came off at quite bitter: he doesn't think it's fair that he's being painted as a failure already and he's got a great deal of conviction that he'll still be vindicated in the end.

Reading between the lines, I think Embiid's medical issues are looking fairly grim ("he's either going to be a superstar or never play in the NBA"), and the Sixers really have no clue with Saric ("we don't really have one person in charge of talking to him...").

Great words from a great man

« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2016, 05:31:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Sounds like Embiid is close to being fully cleared.   Really will be a fascinating offseason.  I'm really interested to see what they do with all those chips.

You're kidding, right? He didn't sound positive on Embiid and basically conceding they have no star player on their roster.

What will Joel Embiid be? (41:40)

“We don’t know. What player in the league from this point forward is the most likely to be a multi-time all-star? That are not yet all-stars. And then how likely are they? It’s not 50-percent…is it 20 [percent]? Is it 10?

“He may be X percent likely to be a really good player, but he might be only Y percent likely to be able available to play. And the actually outcomes is the multiplication of those two. I actually think that’s where he will be. He’ll either be really interesting or he’ll be unavailable.

He also said something along the lines of that how he's performed in practice makes them think he'll be really good so that percentage has gone up since he's been drafted. However, the chances of him being able to play has decreased since he's been drafted.  Oh, and no Summer League for Embiid either.

« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2016, 07:00:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

You're kidding, right? He didn't sound positive on Embiid and basically conceding they have no star player on their roster.

What will Joel Embiid be? (41:40)

“We don’t know. What player in the league from this point forward is the most likely to be a multi-time all-star? That are not yet all-stars. And then how likely are they? It’s not 50-percent…is it 20 [percent]? Is it 10?

“He may be X percent likely to be a really good player, but he might be only Y percent likely to be able available to play. And the actually outcomes is the multiplication of those two. I actually think that’s where he will be. He’ll either be really interesting or he’ll be unavailable.

He also said something along the lines of that how he's performed in practice makes them think he'll be really good so that percentage has gone up since he's been drafted. However, the chances of him being able to play has decreased since he's been drafted.  Oh, and no Summer League for Embiid either.
Sounds like he's got the NBA's best feet now :o

« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:40 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Hinkie has resigned.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2016, 08:11:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hinkie has resigned.

Wow.  He seemed relatively upbeat and optimistic when he went on Lowe's show recently.

That guy should get another gig.  He sounded to me like he had a good philosophy and a good head for the GM position.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
According to Woj they're probably going to hire Bryan Colangelo.  Hah!

The Sixers will become an even more convoluted mess, but maybe they'll win 30 games instead of 10-20 for a while and people won't whine as much.  Or they'll still blame Hinkie.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2016, 08:16:17 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hinkie has resigned.

Wow.  He seemed relatively upbeat and optimistic when he went on Lowe's show recently.

That guy should get another gig.  He sounded to me like he had a good philosophy and a good head for the GM position.

Honestly, something about his Lowe Post appearance seemed like he was trying to get his name out there. As in, he knew this was coming and did that show ahead of the announcement for future prospective jobs in the league.

« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2016, 08:19:23 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Well, they still have three starting centers on their roster that can't play together. Hopefully we can still nab one of them for a decent price if nothing else works out.