Author Topic: Celtics Draft Pick Watch Thread  (Read 14043 times)

Re: Celtics Draft Pick Watch Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
rondae hollis jefferson fractured his ankle, should help our brooklyn pick a bit.

I was getting worried about his early production, per 36 numbers were 8.5ppg and 10 RPG as a rookie!

Plus he was the best wing defender on the Nets.

Really big loss for them. Go Celtics!

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41
It is also clearly an attempt to stir the pot …

Don't you find that a healthy pot needs stirring?

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
I see a 'lock' in thus thread's future..

One can hope
Look... am I early with this thread?  Perhaps.  Are ya'll overreacting by claiming you're "outraged" by it?  Most def. 

Since we have a draft pick watch for the Brooklyn pick, why not our own?  We've teetered back and forth between lotto and playoff so far and our own pick could be a key part of our season... probably deserves keeping an eye on as it could impact our future in a significant way. 

Case in point, with 2 weeks and 9 games left in the 2014-15 season, 32-41 Boston defeated the 31-41 Hornets.  They were essentially tied. 

Boston goes one way: Rolls through the final two weeks, makes the playoffs with a losing record, gets swept and ends up with pick #16

Hornets go the other way: Fall apart down the stretch, end up with the 9th best lotto odds.

Flash forward a couple months:  Boston reportedly offers 6 draft picks, including four 1st rounders (at least one from Brooklyn) to trade up from #16 to #9 with hopes of taking Justice Winslow.   Hornets turn down Boston, because it isn't enough.    Had roles been reversed, perhaps we'd be the ones getting offers of 6 draft picks for 1.    We also know that had Boston moved up to #9, the Knicks were willing to trade down from #4...  Imagine if we had just finished 9th in the first place?...

Holy Kristaps, that's a lot of potential assets the alt-universe Celts could have had.

So while this thread might seem cheeky or a work of parody, it's relevant.   The East is deep this year.   Ben Simmons is averaging 20 points, 15 rebounds, 6 assists, 1.6 blocks and 2.4 steals and being called the greatest prospect since Durant.   I'm not jumping on the tank bandwagon just yet, but it's something to keep an eye on. 

On the flip side, we're 2 games out of 1st place.  Let's get weird, people. 

The standings landscape is shaping up to be a reverse of the last couple years.  Eastern Conference has 10 teams over .500 not including Knicks, Wizards and Bucks who all seem like above .500 teams to me.   Western conference has 6 teams above .500.   This means we're potentially in store for the reverse of last year... where a team like the Rockets (below .500) makes the playoffs and gets stuck picking 15th... while a team like the Bucks/Celtics/Knicks/Pistons/Magic/Wizards could finish .500, miss the playoffs and have the top 10 lotto odds.  As someone pointed out earlier, had we won last night we'd be the 6th seed right now with a 12-8... so we're talking 1 game making the difference between 13th best lotto odds and being tied for picking #23.  I find it interesting.

I was looking forward to you keeping Celticsblog updated on the Celtics Draft pick seeing that you find it interesting, 4 games have been played since the last update, currently we, as in the Celtics are tied with the Clippers for the 21st pick.
Can you try and keep Celticsblog updated more regularly seeing that you started this Thread, that would be great., thanks.

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2015, 09:38:26 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Flash forward a couple months:  Boston reportedly offers 6 draft picks, including four 1st rounders (at least one from Brooklyn) to trade up from #16 to #9 with hopes of taking Justice Winslow.   Hornets turn down Boston, because it isn't enough.    Had roles been reversed, perhaps we'd be the ones getting offers of 6 draft picks for 1.    We also know that had Boston moved up to #9, the Knicks were willing to trade down from #4.

In the interests of accuracy...

1.  Replace the words "it isn't enough" with "Jordan is an idiot."

2.  Where has their been any indication that New York was willing to trade down?

3.  It sure looks like Ainge was saved from making a horrible mistake.  Winslow looks far from a superstar and Porzingis' play has fallen off a cliff like he's hit the rookie wall before the season is a third over.

Mike

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Anyone have anything to share on playoff likelihood for the Wolves? I know it's early, but curious about their Strength of Schedule versus their likely competitors for the 8th seed out West (and lazy about looking it up).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Flash forward a couple months:  Boston reportedly offers 6 draft picks, including four 1st rounders (at least one from Brooklyn) to trade up from #16 to #9 with hopes of taking Justice Winslow.   Hornets turn down Boston, because it isn't enough.    Had roles been reversed, perhaps we'd be the ones getting offers of 6 draft picks for 1.    We also know that had Boston moved up to #9, the Knicks were willing to trade down from #4.

In the interests of accuracy...

1.  Replace the words "it isn't enough" with "Jordan is an idiot."

2.  Where has their been any indication that New York was willing to trade down?

3.  It sure looks like Ainge was saved from making a horrible mistake.  Winslow looks far from a superstar and Porzingis' play has fallen off a cliff like he's hit the rookie wall before the season is a third over.

Mike

I think the report said it was the 2018 Brooklyn pick with some protection, and the Rozier, Hunter and Mickey picks+ 2 more future picks.

Justise Winslow has been pretty awesome FYI.
I'd do that trade and I bet Danny would. The unprotected 2016 Brooklyn pick this year wasn't in the deal- that's the valuable one before the Nets have caproom to sign another 2 or 3 Thadeus Young's.

Winslow looks like a Marcus Smart level defender already and hasn't been featured heavily in their offense for obvious veteran reasons- but he's looked very good.

I do agree with you that New York was never mentioned in any reports about trading down until Lowe the other day- I don't buy it.

And yep, Michael Jordan is an idiot.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Keep the nets and memphis picks..thank you

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2015, 02:27:37 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Anyone have anything to share on playoff likelihood for the Wolves? I know it's early, but curious about their Strength of Schedule versus their likely competitors for the 8th seed out West (and lazy about looking it up).

Basketball reference has them 18th.

ESPN has a new page with a stat they call BPI which is supposed to predict where teams will finish – Minnesota's 24th in that ranking. It looks pretty comprehensive, factoring in homecourt advantage and even the distance that the visiting team travels!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13984129/what-espn-nba-basketball-power-index

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:46 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
1/12/16 - It's been a month.  Having lost 6 of the last 8 since Marcus Smart returned, the pick is now sitting at #13 again.  5 games above the Nuggets for the 7th worst record.  If we continue to struggle, we could be looking at a top 10 pick.

It's been an up and down season, though... I assume we'll bounce back. 

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1/12/16 - It's been a month.  Having lost 6 of the last 8 since Marcus Smart returned, the pick is now sitting at #13 again.  5 games above the Nuggets for the 7th worst record.  If we continue to struggle, we could be looking at a top 10 pick.

Good assumption!!! Celtics will be tied for third place in the East after tonight....though I guess they could slump again.

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Good assumption!!! Celtics will be tied for third place in the East after tonight....though I guess they could slump again.

And Smart has been really good too

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

2/12/16- It's been a month. And we're rolling! Winners of 10 of our last 12 going into the all-star break. Pick now sits at #23.

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2016, 04:10:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That lottery pick from our own record isn't looking too promising.

At least we have the Nets pick.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2016, 04:10:24 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That lottery pick from our own record isn't looking too promising.

At least we have the Nets pick.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

2/12/16- It's been a month. And we're rolling! Winners of 10 of our last 12 going into the all-star break. Pick now sits at #23.
nice bump. what a difference a month can make. both last and this season the celtics seem to put it all together as a team. lets hope they keep going like this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva