Author Topic: Zach Lowe with details on failed Winslow deal - suggests Melo as target  (Read 7812 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't seem to see a thread on this.  Zach Lowe had some really interesting bits in his article about the Knicks today:

Porzingis was there at No. 4, though not without some drama. The Boston Celtics were hell-bent on moving up to draft Justise Winslow and offered the Charlotte Hornets four first-round picks -- including one of Brooklyn's unprotected picks -- for Charlotte's No. 9 pick. But that was Boston's fall-back plan, sources say. The Celtics initially chased Charlotte's pick with the idea of sending it to the Knicks, along with Boston's No. 15 pick, to vault all the way into the Knicks' draft slot -- where the Celtics would take Winslow. Charlotte refused Boston's pitches, and the scenario died. The Knicks downplay their interest in Boston's offer, though it's fascinating to consider how the draft might have played out -- and which fan base would be chanting "POR-ZIN-GIS!" today -- had the Celtics swooped in for Winslow at No. 4.

Brings up the idea of Melo:

Boston Celtics: A popular nominee among rival executives, because the Celtics could acquire Anthony, their alleged missing go-to guy, without hurting their current team. Even James Dolan would have to think about a package of David Lee, Brooklyn's unprotected 2016 first-round pick, and salary filler.

That pick could become Ben Simmons! Rebuilding around Porzingis, and without Anthony, would bring some short-term pain, but that pick is exactly the sort of asset that is worth some pain. The pick probably won't become Ben Simmons, of course. Brooklyn is bad, but it's hard to imagine them finishing behind Philly or the Lakers. Even in the worst losing scenario, they'll enter the lottery in third position -- with only a 15.6 percent chance at landing the top pick.

There is no evidence these teams have ever discussed a Anthony deal, per league sources. Boston likely wants a better gauge on where Brooklyn's pick might end up, and Anthony doesn't fit its developmental timeline -- or Brad Stevens' pass-happy style of play.

Re: Zach Lowe with details on failed Winslow deal - suggests Melo as target
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Sometimes Danny's best deals are the ones he doesn't make

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We got really , really lucky that MJ rejected Ainge's offer. That would have hurt big time seeing how the Nets picks look right now.

Trading the 2016 Nets pick for Melo is tempting, but we would have a short window and not many other vets to surround him with, and still lack a defensive center.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 05:15:01 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love Danny but four firsts for the number 9 and then an extra first to get to number four? No way.

My questions is why didn't they just offer four future firsts and 15 to the Knicks instead of going through Char? Either way I'm glad it didn't happen.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I love Danny but four firsts for the number 9 and then an extra first to get to number four? No way.

My questions is why didn't they just offer four future firsts and 15 to the Knicks instead of going through Char? Either way I'm glad it didn't happen.
Yeah the thing is most of those 1sts aren't all that valuable...   The Brooklyn 1sts may be serious, though. 

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Melo is of little use to this team.  It's one thing if they had a KG to his Ray coming in as well, but that isn't the case.  No sense giving up anything of significance for him.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have significant doubts in all this. I definitely believe DA was trying to something aggressive, but I'm not buying the general hype on this.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:37:10 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I was really high on Winslow before the draft. I was bummed the C's couldn't get him BUT I was wrong. Seems like a pretty good defender but his offense isn't close to being good yet. That's what the C's need most, a go to wing and he doesn't fit the bill right now. Possibly down the road tho.

As for the Melo deal. Ainge would laugh at giving up the Nets pick for a 31 year old that's starting to fade. Knicks would jump on that in a second.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 06:38:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Those are two separate talks in the post, though it's hard to parse that from the writing:

"The Boston Celtics were hell-bent on moving up to draft Justise Winslow and offered the Charlotte Hornets four first-round picks -- including one of Brooklyn's unprotected picks -- for Charlotte's No. 9 pick."

"But that was Boston's fall-back plan, sources say. The Celtics initially chased Charlotte's pick with the idea of sending it to the Knicks, along with Boston's No. 15 pick, to vault all the way into the Knicks' draft slot -- where the Celtics would take Winslow. "

So presumably we chased the #4 in a 3-way deal, for a package including #9 but hopefully less than 5 total firsts, then when that failed and Winslow kept dropping, went straight for the #9 instead.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 06:44:06 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Melo is of little use to this team.  It's one thing if they had a KG to his Ray coming in as well, but that isn't the case.  No sense giving up anything of significance for him.

Couldn't you say that acquiring Thomas last year would count as the Ray Allen part of the deal, and we very realistically make a play for Noah too. Really the 3 of them would have a similar dynamic to the old big 3.

Noah is less valuable than than KG was but Melo is closer to a great player than Pierce was at the time and Isiah/Bradley could become more impactful than Ray Allen/Tony Allen.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Couldn't you say that acquiring Thomas last year would count as the Ray Allen part of the deal, and we very realistically make a play for Noah too. Really the 3 of them would have a similar dynamic to the old big 3.

Oh boy.

If you think that Isaiah Thomas today compares to Ray Allen in 2007, or that Noah today compares to KG back in 2007, I think you need to go back and watch some footage of those guys playing before we acquired them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 07:00:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Noah is less valuable than than KG was but Melo is closer to a great player than Pierce was at the time and Isiah/Bradley could become more impactful than Ray Allen/Tony Allen.

You have underrated all three players in the 2008 Celtics Big Three.  Noah especially man he is pretty washed up now.  KG is maybe the best PF of all time.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:17 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

You have underrated all three players in the 2008 Celtics Big Three.  Noah especially man he is pretty washed up now.  KG is maybe the best PF of all time.

Nah, that's pretty inarguably Tim Duncan. KG's peak was higher, but I don't see how a credible argument can be made against Duncan.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Nah, that's pretty inarguably Tim Duncan. KG's peak was higher, but I don't see how a credible argument can be made against Duncan.

If a player was the best ever at his height and was that good for some time I rate that as the best player.  I would have loved to see KG drafted onto the Spurs in Duncan's position and see what was said about his career then.

Anyways, don't want to debate this in this thread but rings aren't everything to me.

Whatever you think 2008 KG vs Noah now... come on.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

If a player was the best ever at his height and was that good for some time I rate that as the best player.

Yes, I agree that Tim Duncan is the best PF ever.