Author Topic: Would CBS's system allow for an offensive star player?  (Read 1153 times)

Would CBS's system allow for an offensive star player?
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Not sure if this has already been brought up (feel free to merge),

Because of his pace&space system, pushing constant ball movement but while also prioritizing defense first, I have to really question if a top 5 offensive star player would ever be able to flourish under CBS.

Outside of Steph Curry, where his shooting would create a nothing but space with pace, the majority of top offensive players are very very good ISO players. I envision that the team would have to be just like the Hawks and 2014 Spurs, with a group of very smart and good players. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Disclaimer: I guess it could always be argued that if CBS actually had a star player, he might use a different system.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Would CBS's system allow for an offensive star player?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's going to have to if they team is truly ever going to contend for a championship.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Good coaches adjust their system to their players rather than force players to adapt to their system. See: Gregg Popovich completely remaking the identity of the Spurs after this past offseason.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would like to think so...

I mean just look at Isaiah Thomas...once he gets the rock, he isn't passing that back out unless he is double teamed or cornered. I would assume the same thing if said star players comes to the Celtics. Every now and then, Turner is allowed to play one on ones...

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A star doesn't have to be a great defender, but I think an offensive star who doesn't try hard on defense is going to be a bad fit under Stevens.  I'm skeptical of the idea that Stevens can get such a player to put forth more effort, so I don't endorse going after lazy defenders who have the physical tools to be good defenders.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think the OP is incorrect in thinking that CBS has such a strict system. Brad has evolved his system to help fit the players he has. That means a lot of rotations and a very deep bench to compensate for the lack of a star player.

He's not such an exceptionally rigid coach that he couldn't figure out a way to incorporate a star and make the best use out of them. Give Brad the pieces and he'll make them work.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean, Isaiah Thomas is averaging 21 points per game in Brad's system, so I wouldn't really worry about it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 03:28:02 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I mean, Isaiah Thomas is averaging 21 points per game in Brad's system, so I wouldn't really worry about it.
While shooting 41 percent so it's pretty easy to see someone scoring 28 a game on better shooting.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 03:58:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, with a 'real' star in town, Isaiah would get pushed back to his 6th man role and Turner would have to be mostly a facilitator - I do think all three could co-exist because of the other players on our team being such 'system' guys. It would actually give us even more offensive diversity, which could only help Brad.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

What he said.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think Paul George would work great ......as a starter and last 10 minutes of every game.

He can elbow  or get a shot , fast break ,  rebound .

He is not a ball hog and has decent attitude.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

And if you check his Usage Rate (10th in the NBA) you'll see that a 'star' player can certainly get adequate touches in Brad's system.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
If you can make it work with Jordan Crawford, you can make it work with anyone.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 02:26:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Would an offensive star player allow for CBS's system is the question.  A star is going to be a star regardless.  It is the system that is adjusted.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Would an offensive star player allow for CBS's system is the question.  A star is going to be a star regardless.  It is the system that is adjusted.

hotdog we have a wiener